Home General Discussion

Persona 5

NegevPro
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
First real trailer just got posted.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y5U8n4Ie3I"]???????????? - YouTube[/ame]

Looks like they added PS4 as a target platform as well to prevent alienating those who don't have a PS3. The game has also apparently been delayed as the Japanese release was "Winter 2014" but it's now "2015" indicating that the NA/EU releases will also be delayed by a few months.

I'm really curious to see what the 3D art of the game is going to look like. Persona 4 had around 200 unique Personas and the last SMT game had 400 demons if I recall correctly, it'll be crazy seeing what they will all look like with a modern technical budget, I can't wait!

Also, Atlus tends to say nothing about a project until they reveal the first real trailer, then they start uploading trailers pretty often until the game is released. Given the amount of Ultimax trailers there were, I'm guessing they'll say nothing more until TGS then start uploading 1-2 trailers a week about the game, likely featuring gameplay and story information (in Japanese.) Several months after that AtlusUSA will begin uploading similar trailers in English.

Replies

• SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    I'm so excited about this game. Persona 4 Golden is one of my favorite games of all time. I can't wait for P5!
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poribo polycounter lvl 13
    I am so hyped right now. Can't wait to see what the 3D is like.
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So happy its for PS4 now too. Persona 4 on the vita was one of the best things ever!
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Somebody pointed out a great observation. If you go to persona5.jp you'll notice that the shackle all the way to the right has been shattered, but the old design shows that shackle was in-tact (the English site still uses the old design). I'm guessing that could mean they'll have 5 trailers for 5 characters, or something along those lines. It could also mean that the character shown in this trailer isn't the main character either, as the most important people tend to sit in the center if there are chairs grouped together.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Stupid Persona; I was so excited about the trailer being released this morning that I spilled my cereal.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Damn, can't wait. Been a huge fan of Persona games since I played Persona 3. Now that P5 is coming out for PS4, I think there is no reason for me to stick to my PS3 anymore. This and Bloodborne should make it worth buying one.
  • Darth Tomi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    LOVED P3. P4 was good but a few minor flaws. Looking forward to this one.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn, can't wait. Been a huge fan of Persona games since I played Persona 3. Now that P5 is coming out for PS4, I think there is no reason for me to stick to my PS3 anymore. This and Bloodborne should make it worth buying one.
    I'm contemplating picking up a PS4 just to play this game as it will likely be better than the PS3 version. Persona 4 Arena Ultimax comes out at the end of this month and might be a good reason to keep your PS3 hooked up. I'm not a huge fan of fighting games because I'm trash at all of them, but Persona 4 Arena, and Persona 4 Arena Ultimax have extended the story arc of Persona 3 and 4 in meaningful ways, so if you're a huge fan of those two then it might be something to look into.

Just be careful if you try googling the game or looking at Youtube videos, the Japanese version came out already and so there are a lot of trolls that are intentionally spoiling the ending in the comments section and on different forum threads. The same will go for Persona 5, I'd suggest staying off of any related searches once the Japanese version gets released.

I'm incredibly excited for Persona 5 as this has been the number one game on my list for a while, but I'd also like to see the development team re-visit some other SMT spinoffs. I would love to see SMT5 on the PS3/PS4 or even Break Record actually getting finished and localized in NA/EU since they seem to have gone quiet about that.
  • US Claire Force
    While the character looks interesting, the trailer hasn't established much of a visual style for the game. Both Persona 3 and Persona 4 had unique visual styles, even in their trailers. Persona 3 was dark with clockwork and the gun-like Evokers. Persona 4 with upbeat with yellow and TV-influenced visuals. I haven't got any reading for the visual style of Persona 5, except that there will be a lot of red involved.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about a new Persona game as much as the next guy, but the trailer doesn't do much as far as establishing a theme.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    It'll probably look similar to Catherine. That's what they were using as a previous generation test-bed. I wonder if they will use Gamebryo again...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_JpMkxHAQg
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Technically it's a "teaser trailer" I believe it was just a confirmation that the game still exists, especially since a lot of people were under the impression it got canceled or entered development hell since they announced a delay before showing a single screenshot. The theme of the game revolves around the idea of enslavement, the teaser kind of shows that because every single person was glued to their technological devices up until time froze and the blue flames appeared in the character's eyes.

I believe the devs plan to have some kind of presence at TGS under the Sega name, they have the same leads for every position so I'm sure we won't be disappointed. As for game engine, it was stated a while back that they won't be using Gamebryo again, but I don't think they ever stated what the game will be built on.

On a side note, somebody on reddit pointed out that if you look at the video ads on some of the buildings, they show potential character cut-ins, kind of like when you land a critical hit in Persona 3 or 4. The characters however, look very similar to the cast of Persona 2, I'm not sure if that's just an easter egg or some kind of hint to the story, all the Persona games take place in the same universe and are therefore connected, after all.
  • bpleonvong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Let's all join the Hype Train!
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Atlus just confirmed today that they'll be showing off some more Persona 5 and Persona 4: Dancing All Night footage this Saturday. Since their presentation is an hour long, I'm sure it's safe to assume we'll also see some information on the Etrian Odyssey 2 remake and hopefully something related to either a new franchise (which was hinted at not too long ago) or something related to FE x SMT, or even Break Record!

Now to get hyped for the real Persona game that everybody has been waiting so long for...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91r1STWZc9I"]Persona 4: Dancing All Night Teaser - YouTube[/ame]
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New EO2 footage was shown, mini character trailer for Dancing All Night, and finally Break Record got a release date. No Persona 5 footage was shown :(

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHCSLsF0px0[/ame]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvztPdwoTcM[/ame]
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arena Ultimax finally got released in NA today, and Atlus USA uploaded a final trailer as well.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXKtGxE-RBI"]Persona 4 Arena Ultimax: Full Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

Additionally, Adachi and Marie are free DLC for the first week for everybody, so you can grab them right now even if you don't own the game and you can permanently keep them. Starting on October 7th, they will cost $5 each (along with Margaret, who is also getting released for $5 on October 7th.) If you haven't played the first Arena, you can also grab the entire story mode for $10 through the DLC, it's a pretty sweet deal.
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Persona 4 Golden is going to be supported by the Playstation TV when it comes out in the West too can't wait :D
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This was a great week for Atlus, Persona Q comes out tomorrow in North America (3 days later in Europe) and Atlus Japan just announced Etrian Odyssey 5 and an Etrian Odyssey spinoff dungeon crawler.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRqgC-RuL08"]Persona Q: Launch Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHbWGrYa_-E"]????????????? - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujTUHNpxK-E"]????????????????????? - YouTube[/ame]

I actually got my copy of Persona Q a few days ago and I was able to put in about 5-6 hours of gameplay. It's a perfect blend between the content of a Persona game and the difficulty of an Etrian Odyssey game. The automapping has been improved a lot over EO IV for the people who don't want to manually draw out maps, and the story is pretty entertaining for being a crossover game.

My main complaint is the fact that sometimes the audio quality for random dialogue during battles seems to drop, but it is fine at all other times. My other complaint is that there seems to be some huge holes in the plot that are apparent for the people who finished both Persona 3 and 4, but they haven't been explained at all. I've only played a few hours of the game so maybe they are explained later on, though. Everything else is solid, the devs even included some of the new gameplay mechanics that were added to Persona 4: Golden (such as the skill cards) which is always nice. I'd give it a 9/10 which also seems to be the average score from most big name reviewers.

On another note, I really hope EO5 ends up on the Wii U with a larger budget, I would buy it immediately!
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I want to play Persona Q so fucking bad., I've always wanted to get into Etrian Odyssey and into Persona more, but I have no time for video games. :/ I do plan on buying it soon no matter what because we all know the Atlus tax on games a year after they are released
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know that feeling, I've had my copy sitting unopened for a few days but I couldn't play because I had to get work done. At least I was able to get a few hours in thanks to an early shipment, the game is worth the wait!

On a side note, to anybody who purchased the game, the first two DLCs will be free, but nothing has been said if they'll be free for just the first week (which is what Atlus usually does) or if they'll be free forever. Be sure to grab Kaguya from the "Add-On Content" menu in the game as it can't be downloaded directly from the Nintendo E-Shop. Orpheus Telos will be free on December 2nd, and alongside him, Thanatos and Magatsu Izanagi will be available for $2 each.

Selling individual Personas is a huge rip off, especially considering the game has 100+ that are already available to the player, but I might pay for Magatsu Izanagi due to the coolness factor, and let's be honest, who doesn't want to shout "MANGLE THEM, MAGATSU IZANAGI!" every time they summon?!
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So apparently there is a big livestream happening this week.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2015/02/01/atlus-persona-stream-schedule/

There are 3 "mystery" positions on the schedule, so I expect them to be new announcements. One of them will most likely be P5 related and I really hope that we finally get to see some gameplay. Makes me curious what the other 2 positions will be.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I am 40 hours in Persona Q. And absolutely read high on the series and so stoked for P5. Don't dissapoint me, Atlus. (they never do)
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    Greatest RPGs of All Time:
    1. Breath of Fire III
    2. Dragon Age: Inquisition
    3. Persona 4: Golden

Let's see if Persona 5 can shake up this objectively accurately list a bit xD
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a heads up in case anybody plans on watching the stream, Atlus LOVES to troll their fanbase, so don't get too hyped up or you'll set yourself up for disappointment. If you plan on tuning in then be sure to disable the live-chat because there is a very high possibility that it will be spammed by the absolute cancer of the megaten community like the last Atlus stream. The site that hosted the stream last time displayed all chat messages over the video footage so every two seconds you'd see "atlus wher r mai waifus?1?1" unless you disabled it.

Given Atlus' history with streams, I'm expecting a new trailer along with a potentially more solid release window for the game and nothing more, and that is assuming we'll be lucky. I'd really love to see some 3D art though!

From the looks of it, there's 2-3 hours worth of content that will be stretched out to 30 hours not including the first two Persona 3 movies which will be shown together also. As with all of the Atlus streams, you can expect the trailers to be on their Japanese youtube channel immediately after they are shown on the stream, or shortly after the streaming event, so you won't have to watch the stream if you just want to see the new footage that is shown.

I already put money aside for a PS4 for Persona 5 and Bloodborne so I'm ready for new information, but I'm skeptical of how the game will turn out to be honest. I started playing Persona 4:Golden on my PSTV and I'm actually very disappointed with many of the changes made to the core gameplay of Persona 4. The game became infinitely easier to the point where the only time I've died so far is when I get hit by an unlucky Mudoon or Last Resort, and I'm playing on Very Hard mode.

I'm sure Atlus will re-balance a lot of things as they tend to change the core gameplay in some way with every SMT release, I just hope they keep the challenging gameplay that has been an important part of every SMT game for years.

As for the two mystery slots, I'm guessing one of them will be a release date and new trailer for Persona 4: Dancing All Night, as for the other one, Atlus loves doing spinoffs so it could really be anything. I wouldn't be surprised if they announced a special edition PS4 console, though. Time to get hyped!
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I am really gonna try to see what this game is all about. Where should I start?
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    Lamont wrote: »

People squabble over whether persona 3 or 4 is better but i've just finished 3 and it's awesome and i'm sure 4 is awesome when i get to that very soon.

So totally get 3, i have the psp version i'm playing on my vita which is great, but i hear the other versions are great too.
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4 is better than 3. Let's fight it out!!

Sorry but Yosuke is much better bro than Junpei. He has chronic honesty syndrome! And replace Chie with one of the girls from PE3, forget about it.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes wrote: »
    4 is better than 3. Let's fight it out!!

Sorry but Yosuke is much better bro than Junpei. He has chronic honesty syndrome!
    That's no way to talk about DA MAN! Also...

Almost every Persona game, along with every major Shin Megami Tensei game, receives a ton of praise from a lot of people, so it really doesn't matter where you start because you'll get an amazing game regardless.

The games all take place within the same universe but the stories are all separate and take place during different times. There are nods to other titles in the franchise within each game but they are pretty minor. As a result, most people start with Persona 4.

If you've never played a Shin Megami Tensei game before, you should start with Persona 4:Golden if you have a Vita or a Playstation TV, and the vanilla version if you only have a PS2/PS3/PC and if you enjoy it, you could play the older titles backwards in order as well.

If you've played a Shin Megami Tensei game before but never played Persona before, then you should start with Persona 3:FES. The gameplay is less polished and the fact that you can't control individual party members annoys a lot of people, but in many ways it is the best game in the sub-franchise in my opinion.

If you finished both Persona 3 and 4 and are trying to figure out what to do with your life, you should try Persona 2. The gameplay could be considered even more rough than Persona 3, but many agree it is the best in the franchise story-wise.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Depends on what you like really. If you don't mind jRPG conventions and tropes then I would start chronologically, with Persona 3 FES or P3P. If you've never played Persona before, I would start with P3FES. P3P has some improvements but strips out a lot of stuff, so I would recommend it only for a second playthrough.

If you'd like to play something different though, I would go for P4. It has a certain charm that P3 doesn't. It's a bit like a Scooby Doo episode, if it was set in a rural Japanese town and they were solving mysteries by summoning demons. It's really difficult to compare it to anything else other than Persona 3.

Both are great games, but they are pretty damn long. If you don't plan on finishing both I would probably start with P4. Overall it's a more unique and polished game.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    You have a vita? play P4G. thats the first Persona game i have played, and it revitalized my faith in JRPGs. Loved every second of it.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just be aware, they are massive timesinks. If you do start with Persona 4, then it will be much harder to try and play through 3 (mechanically, P4 is a much better game). So if you really want to throw yourself into the series, and intend to play both, then start with 3.

That being said, Persona 4 is my favourite game of all time. If you don't have the time to play it, then I HIGHLY recommend Giantbombs Endurance Run. Its an easy watch whilst you work series.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3A8186976CC9159E
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh wrote: »
    Just be aware, they are massive timesinks. If you do start with Persona 4, then it will be much harder to try and play through 3 (mechanically, P4 is a much better game). So if you really want to throw yourself into the series, and intend to play both, then start with 3.

That being said, Persona 4 is my favourite game of all time. If you don't have the time to play it, then I HIGHLY recommend Giantbombs Endurance Run. Its an easy watch whilst you work series.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3A8186976CC9159E

Funny that you mention the Endurance Run because I'm watching it right now (again) while I work. It's hilarious.

But yeah. I do want to echo, that if you start with 4, it will be difficult to play 3 afterwards. Persona 3 Portable has the same battle mechanics as Persona 4, but it strips out the freeroaming aspect and 3D custscenes, making it a visual novel with dungeon crawling.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TBH, the endurance run is a very good way to go.

Whilst I love the game; it was the aesthetics, audio and narrative that really sold me. If you were to strip out all of the dungeon crawling and actual gameplay (minus the exploring of Inaba perhaps) then I would still put money down for it as it has a really intriguing plot and such a cool world setting.

Plus, Vinny and Jeff really help that endurance run. Funny as hell!
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obviously Spoilers.

But those who have played P4, this is pretty funny.

P4 Narrated Comic
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 wrote: »
    Obviously Spoilers.

But those who have played P4, this is pretty funny.

P4 Narrated Comic

"Did somebody say Muuuuuuurddddeeerr~?"
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I will look into P4. Is it one of those 60 hour RPG`s? I put in 60+ on Borderlands 1 and 2 so I think I can do this...

(Crap, gotta get another PSP...)
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will look into P4. Is it one of those 60 hour RPG`s? I put in 60+ on Borderlands 1 and 2 so I think I can do this...

Dude, just prepare yourself to make the first real friends you've ever had, out of a group of video game characters.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

A single playthrough on Normal difficulty can last anywhere from 40 - 80+ hours. If you play Persona 4:Golden (the Vita/Playstation TV re-release of Persona 4) then there is new content that would last at least an extra 10 hours.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro wrote: »
    A single playthrough on Normal difficulty can last anywhere from 40 - 80+ hours. If you play Persona 4:Golden (the Vita/Playstation TV re-release of Persona 4) then there is new content that would last at least an extra 10 hours.

First playthrough was close to 100 hrs.

But it was over a span of a few months. The vita was the perfect place to play it because you can always set it to sleep where ever you are. Its really great. I could not think of playing a game like that anywhere else.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrovL78x4Yc[/ame]

Wow, it's fucking nothing. :poly142:

A countdown to a countdown, Atlus is learning.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnLIwC713hU[/ame]

It could be a reference to Philemon because he always had an opera mask and the Velvet attendants always wear fancy clothing which could explain the hat. Additionally, the Japanese voice actor for Igor passed away so it is possible that Atlus wanted to retire the character out of respect. Or it could be fucking nothing.

I really can't wait to see what gets shown off, maybe we'll get a whole 20 seconds of footage!
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just want them to stop teasing and show something already. Had the stream playing in the background the whole day and all I got was P4DAN and an image of a top hat. Goddammit Atlus :poly142: I guess I will tune in for the last event. I don't think they will show anything until then.

But yeah, I am kind of curious if they will bring back Philemon. Even though P3 and P4 are very different from previous P1 and 2, they always had some references to previous games (TV show references in P3, blue butterflies at saving points in P4, etc.).
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Even though P3 and P4 are very different from previous P1 and 2, they always had some references to previous games (TV show references in P3, blue butterflies at saving points in P4, etc.).

PERSONA-ly (get it, tee hee), I'd like them to combine the innovations of P3 and P4 with the darker tone of P1 and P2. I don't mean go full horror, but my main criticism of that amazing P4 game was that at a certain crucial plot point, I felt like they pulled the punch. When they really didn't have to. People who played, know what I'm talking about.
  • NegevPro
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc_9r4wifFc[/ame]

Reveal trailer and gameplay. looks absolutely fantastic.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goddamn, all this teasing was worth it. Can't wait.

The new theme is awesome. Social linking by day, robbing by night.

Digging the jazzy soundtrack too.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YEA!

I knew it was gonna be big. But this blew me away. Loving the more mature feel of the game. Like that the dungeons are no longer just corridors with random enemies. It has verticality.

The new cat looks awesome and just in general the redish grey look on themes with the high detailed and crowds look amazing. Reminds me a lot of Catherine.

Man... this game really looks awesome. Can't wait. It HAS to come to ps4.

Some gifs

oeeqgq.gif
    eiznml.gif
    zabbam.gif

irGF0CM.png
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc_9r4wifFc

Reveal trailer and gameplay. looks absolutely fantastic.

Best RPG all time, calling it now!
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes wrote: »
    Best RPG all time, calling it now!

hands down. None of that FFVII BS. This is gonna be amazing.

Bumping for new page.
    It's a message from Hashino and the dev team to fans. He talks about how Persona 5's main influences are School Juvenile fiction and Picaresque novels. Unlike previous Persona games where the players were clearly a team on the side of "good" going after a bad guy, this time they're trying for something a little different. The story is about high school students chasing after their own interpretation of "justice" after an unexpected incident. He hopes fans will enjoy the enhanced graphics and sound in the new entry as well as party members who might be a little more ill-mannered than before.
    YEA!

I knew it was gonna be big. But this blew me away. Loving the more mature feel of the game. Like that the dungeons are no longer just corridors with random enemies. It has verticality.

The new cat looks awesome and just in general the redish grey look on themes with the high detailed and crowds look amazing. Reminds me a lot of Catherine.

Man... this game really looks awesome. Can't wait. It HAS to come to ps4. Correction. It was confirmed at TGS that it is coming to PS4. OH man!

Some gifs

oeeqgq.gif
    eiznml.gif
    zabbam.gif
    p503pcu4c.gif
    psazkm.gif

irGF0CM.png

QKbckM8.gif
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more gifs of their stylish menus.

iecWzHpnX6R8P.gif

izYPEKic1E5ys.gif

ilhwtADJacBmp.gif
  • JimmyRustler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JimmyRustler polycounter lvl 8
    So freakin stylish!! The trailer definitely blew me away!
    I loved Persona series, but never been a fan of the story, too much anime cliches for my liking.
    But i liked the character development in these games, especially P4. The friendship between the character felt so real.

I'm so hyped !!!