Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My second game prop: Old Soda Machine

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
mobkon polycounter lvl 6
Hey all -

Been working on learning game props. Here's my second attempt at something. Great learning experience! Please let me know if it's awful :) Critique away!

P.S. I had issues getting my Occlusion to work well in Marmoset. Just ended up baking it in the Diffuse in the end.

14965835345_5a5d8fba27_o.jpg
14779152459_3200d44a35_o.jpg
14779159640_8fa0cc2e4d_o.jpg
14779152889_4fdc493686_o.jpg
14965862915_eb6a5bfe51_o.jpg[/url]

Replies

• Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Overall the asset looks pretty good, but there's something funky going on with that coke bottle logo. I don't know if it was burnt in photoshop or there's some strange thing happening in your texture maps or what but it looks a bit strange to me. Kind of like it should be a decal, but it doesn't look like a decal from the side, but there seems to be no normals for it in your map.

I'd also might rethink/move/change the giant rust hole you have on the sides and front underneath the coke-a-cola logo. It's a bit too distracting where it is currently, and if the asset was placed into a scene more than once it would become obvious fast that it's a duplicate because of it. Maybe a bit more subtle/strategic placement with the larger bits of rust/damage would do it some good.

It also looks like you have a little bit of UV space left in there, and I don't see a bottom so I'm guessing you deleted the bottom or overlapped the uvs from the top to save on the polycount. In this case I'd probably recommend having an actual physical bottom and using that empty UV space for it. A prop like this, especially one that is old/rusted/damaged has a greater chance for a level designer to really want to flip it over on it's side or block a doorway with so you might as well please them by being an enabler :)

Keep it up!
  • thepapercut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really digging this man. I would read through and take deathstick's advice on the rust placement. Keep at it good sir!
  • mobkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mobkon polycounter lvl 6
    This is great advice. Thanks for the feedback! I'll take those things into account and do some more work on it and post back when I can.

Thanks again!