Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tree Critique

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Christian Cunningham polycounter lvl 10
I would like some critiques on my tree. It is going in my abandoned environment scene I am making. Any advice would be appropriated.

Polys: 3694

2 Texture Maps

n15xyu.jpg

t99pic.jpg

24ymhbk.jpg

Update #1:

I Messed around with some tiling textures for the bark. It looks much better. I Put It in UE4 to test it out. I also. I am going to re-work the canopy next. And rework the leaf/branch texture.

Here is the bark up close

xfu3j8.jpg

Here is the base of the tree

qntzia.jpg

Do you guys think there is enough branches on the tree as is to support texture cards? Or Do I need to add some more. I am going to study some references today before working on the canopy.

Replies

• CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlK3D polycounter lvl 7
    Are you going for a stylized diffuse only look?
    Looks good to me, you might want to try billboards if your planning on using a game engine otherwise you'll see the sides of the planes from most angles. If you plan to rendering from just 1 angle make setup the tree so it looks best from the selected angle
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Looks good. Billboards would probably help, or add a little bit of geometry to your leaf planes and make them a bit less straight. The shape of the canopy seems a little bit unrealistic to me personally. Make sure you're looking at reference. Also a tiling bark texture would probably be sufficient.
  • SanderDL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah you should probably just use a tiling texture, although it will be a bit harder to UV now that the branches are already finished.

Your canopy looks kind of all over the place. Try to avoid using flat planes for your leafs. Make smaller clusters of leafs and place those around to form your canopy. Also make sure your leafs appear like they are attached to branches or twigs. I know you have some branches in your texture but they get lost in the final model.
  • Christian Cunningham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will mess around with a tillable texture for the bark. I will re work the canopy as well. Can you explain what you mean by billboards?
  • Atokal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Atokal polygon
    Howdy, not to bad. The trees are looking nice but their is a few things that are throwing me off. keep in mind the placement of the branches so that you don't see to many sides of planes, it will kill the illusion. Their is one part of the tree that seems bare and it seems like their should be some foliage in that location. That and some of the branches just terminate and that kills the illusion for me.

otherwise keep an eye on the scale of your leaves, they seem a bit off. but its looking good man, keep it up.

n15xyu.jpg

sZ62ldV.jpg
  • Ehsan Gamer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ehsan Gamer polycounter lvl 6
    Good start overally. Some hints may help you

1: I think marmoset is not good for presenting Foliage only like this.

2: Leaf textures is not realistic and also the canopy. Better watch more references .

3: add some geo to leaf planes. Flat planes does not look good at all.

4. leaf colors are not real. too saturated.

I think the best way is too study some reference
  • Christian Cunningham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks you guys, I will keep that in mind when I re-do the canopy. I think I may make some branches using an alpha channel and have the leaves separate. I will make sure to keep the illusion of 3D and not kill it with flat planes.