Home Technical Talk

Modular Mindset

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Revel interpolator
I've seen a lot of example or article on about construct a modular building but all that I found is for office building/ large structures/ anything that fall on 'grid'. Now I'm just wondering, what about smaller building like houses? how would you do/ plan the modularity?

Example of a game, think about Assassin's Creed 4 (Nassau area), how would be the best practice to break up the modularity pieces?

Example WIP of what I got right now, each of the window frames are the same, does it mean it's better for me to model a single piece and duplicate it in the game engine (in my case; UE4) or limit it to only separate a piece that required special treatment (for example door that might get animated)?

Screenshot:
Ohr24ah.jpg

There will be other houses that have similar window frame as the one above.
My concern is about UV2 light map, if I merge the windows into the main house object, it'll eat up quite a lot of UV2 space but if I break it apart to be a modular piece on its own, I will save extra UV2 space on the main house object and only added a smaller dedicated UV space for the window alone.
Does it make any sense?

Replies