Home General Discussion

Importance of BA vs. BA [ Hons.]

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Francois_K interpolator
Hello,

I'm almost done with my BA but I have to write my dissertation now. I don't know if this is normal at other unis but the system here is this. If I finish all my coursework and pass I get a BA , if I pass my BA paper I get a Honors degree.

The question is if it's in anyway relevant later on in the industry wether I have BA or BA[Hons] on my CV

Replies

• MichaelElphick
    Portfolio is everything, that's what I have learnt.

But a BA Hons is a plus after that.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Degrees can help out with visa processes if you want to work overseas. That said, I don't know what would be the difference between those two, if that translates to other countries' educational systems.
  • JackNelson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BA [Hons] might get you more of a look in ahead of others if you're trying to get an entry-level position, but beyond that i've found it's pretty much all about portfolio
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nobody cares.

Here is a list of things that are more important:
    1. Demonstrating your art skills (portfolio)
    2. Experience level
    3. Knowing someone at the studio
    4. Your personality/how you present yourself/how well you interview
    5. Whether you are local or not
    6. Whether you are willing to relocate or not
    7. Knowing the tools the studio uses (engine, major art app maya/max)
    99. Whether you have a BA or a BA with honors
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    you could make your dissertation part of your folio though. For positions like game design or tech art this could, under certain conditions, be an advantage. The key here is the work you produce, not if the BA is hons or not.

For immigration a regular BA should do, and since you want to join the industry, it won't matter for a possible masters study either, as you'll make up the missing hons with work experience.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Nobody cares.

2. Experience level

a thousand times yes!
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    Nobody cares.

2. Experience level

this may be true for the gaming industry
    but almoist every other industry is still looking for a degree

aim for the highest possible degree, it wont hurt you
    you never know where you end up working or what opportunities open up
  • Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    Nobody cares.

2. Experience level

This made me giggle.

Guess I can save my time writing that and concentrate on my portfolio ^^
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11

Anything art related really falls into the same field where the portfolio takes huge precedence over a degree. General graphic design is the same case.

If you think about it, that makes perfect sense. With art, your work should be evident by the quality of work you can do (your portfolio). Degree, honors, or not it doesn't matter. If your work looks good odds are you know what you are doing.

Also with art, you are expected to already be at the industry level when you get hired. Sure you might get briefed over company specific pipelines, etc. but in general you are hired because of your skill level right then.

It's less so in non-art entry level fields.

A degree shows that you are disciplined enough to learn and master new concepts. A degree also shows that you are trainable. You will probably be trained more after getting a non-art job than you would be getting an art job.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

This thread isn't about a degree vs no degree. Its about a bachelor of arts degree vs a bachelor of arts degree with honors. While that may have some importance in other industries, it has absolutely none in the gaming industry.

Maybe it would be a very small consideration if you needed a visa to work in a different country, however I am not aware of any visas that required a BA with honors or anything equivalent.

Its a gold star on top of your degree, not anything tangible.

If the choice is putting in extra effort to get honors, via writing some useless academic paper, or putting the same amount of effort into art work to improve your portfolio the answer is crystal clear. Portfolio trumps everything.

Now, having a BA with honors certainly will not hurt, and if getting it is an insignificant amount of effort, why not go for it?

In reality, a BA with honors is probably more important if say, you want to get into a masters program with a low acceptance rate than anything to do with actually getting a job.
    Francois_K wrote: »
    This made me giggle.

Guess I can save my time writing that and concentrate on my portfolio ^^

Hehe, glad to hear it, and yeah, that's what I would recommend. Your current folio shows potential, but you need to buckle down and get it up to industry level.
  • donofdon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    donofdon polycounter lvl 2
    I quit my honours year half way through mostly due to other things happening at the time. I gradually found out my dissertation subject was already something sort of done and I was shoe horning in an excuse for character design. Also, I didn't want to write ten thousand words about any thing, fuck that I'll just take the BA cheers.
    I eventually got a chance to work a solid amount of time on portfolio stuff and it allowed me to get a junior artist job later on.

Now I'm looking at cvs coming in for our team and first thing I go to is the portfolio. Not interested if you have honours or not. Can you produce the goods.
    If you can arrange the time to boost on your folio, i'd do that. Good luck
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    You can do some super interesting things with your dissertation... that can combine work with research which will help strengthen your portfolio. I dunno. I just don't get why you'd do a uni course and then slack off something like a dissertation. Why did you even go in the first place...
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Wise words. You've nearly finished the degree, and a dissertation doesn't have to be too time consuming. I'd have regretted not aiming for the best qualification that I could get.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9

It will if you can't get a job and have a ton of debt
  • imyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
    As somebody who has a BA Hons, I'll tell you now - it makes no difference.

It doesn't hurt to aim high and do your best, but portfolio will always mean more in this industry than somebody who can write a brilliant dissertation.

I knew amazing artists who work in the industry and got 2:2's just because they weren't strong academics.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    I feel like too many people are just saying that the Hons doesn't make a difference and not thinking about what a dissertation is an opportunity for. Yes, the Hons doesn't have a large affect to your job opportunities in the games industry; because your degree doesn't either.

But, your dissertation is an opportunity to really explore an area of art and design in a detail that you might not otherwise have the time/chance/motivation for. There are plenty of threads on Polycount that would make excellent dissertations if they so desired. There are also a couple of great examples of peoples' dissertations that have been featured on Polycount. Just a couple off the top of my head:

(From the modular environment wiki and a news post from a while back)
    http://www.scottjonescg.co.uk/FYPResearch/Investigation_into_modular_design_within_computer_games_v1.0.pdf
    Research paper on modular workflow. Definition, benefits, history of modularity, usage, methods, case studies, UDK and 3ds Max. See the Polycount forum thread
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78444

Creating seamless and unique environments
    https://sites.google.com/site/seamlessandunique/
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96237

These are great examples of people really expanding their knowledge on a focused area by use of a dissertation. I think being able to thoroughly explain and demonstrate your knowledge in a dissertation is a valuable skill and not something that should be so slightly tossed aside because of your perceived time issues.

Also, if it's really the word count you're worried about, speak to your dissertation supervisor. I am sure that the word count is actually a suggested[/] word count that is there to help you get an idea of what's expected. But it's usually something that ends up being weighted with portfolio work if you want. One student might have a dissertation that's purely research, while another student might complete a large portfolio piece in tandem with their research - meaning that the word count is lowered. I've known people who have aced their dissertations with only a 3,000 word count, backed up by some seriously awesome work.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Portfolio is everything, that's what I have learnt.

But a BA Hons is a plus after that.

portfolio is important for the employer, the BA to the country you want to work in. He is from germany, if he wants to have a workvisa in the USA he will either NEED a BA, or 12 years of workexperience, with proof of those twelve years.
    You will have to be very good, very well connected need many references to get past that with neither having studied or worked 12 years.

Also coming from germany his chances are pretty low to have high debt from his studies. So the higher the degree the easier it will be to get a normal workvisa.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Neox wrote: »
    Also coming from germany his chances are pretty low to have high debt from his studies.

Don't you guys have free university for life? Like, leave studies in your 20's and can come back and finish in your 30's (if you want) at no cost.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    It will if you can't get a job and have a ton of debt

yep, sorry, didnt consider that, in some countrys, you have to sell your soul for a degree
    i just wanted to point out that there are some jobs where a degree in fact matters more than your portfolio
    and here in germany it would be a no brainer, if i had to choose
    but if you need to make some serious debts, i'am not so sure if it pays in the long run
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    High school dropout here. I'm not doing too badly for myself. I think you'll be fine, regardless of what you choose to do.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    komaokc wrote: »
    High school dropout here. I'm not doing too badly for myself. I think you'll be fine, regardless of what you choose to do.

dude you just started your career, try to get a work visa somewhere not in the EU, good luck with your highschool dropout degree.
    You have to be extremely good, well connected and have a lot of credibilitiy to get an O-1 visa to work in the states for instance.
    I've been through that shit, by now i have my 12 years of work experience, but no degree will make it much much harder to get a job in the states.
    Don't you guys have free university for life? Like, leave studies in your 20's and can come back and finish in your 30's (if you want) at no cost.
    i think most unis should have removed their study fees again, for a time studying cost money here, but not like encredible amount of money as some countries have.
    Private unis are something different, but then again. private Game unis are at like 900 Euro a month, parts of that you can get covered by the government, so your debt will not be insanely high-
    However, i never studied so i'm not really in that topic.

But i can talk about my experience of not having a degree and trying to work in other countries.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, people keep going on about no degree vs having a degree in this thread. While a degree or a significant amount of experience is required to get a visa, the OP is getting a BA regardless.

I'm curious though, does a BA with honors actually mean a higher level degree in certain countries? Because it doesn't in the US. Its still just a BA, the honors part simply means you had a high GPA. Edit, doing some research: It looks like it does in the UK, and perhaps used to in Canada but that is less common these days?

I suppose graduating with honors might be helpful in the same sense that being published is when seaking a work visa. It might be easier to pass you through the visa process with a fancier looking degree?

I also agree with Wesley's general sentiment, that if you can work a dissertation into actual content for your portfolio, its probably a good idea. However, if its a question of making art content for your portfolio vs writing theoretical academic papers, I would go art content every day of the week. After 4 years or whatever of schooling, you don't need more theory. You need more experience actually making stuff, you need meat and potatoes art content to fill out your portfolio.

I also agree that writing technical documents can be a good skill to have, with a couple stipulations though:
    1. Entry level artists are not generally going to be in a position to write tech documents, nor will their ability to do so really come up in the hiring process.
    2. Nothing stops you from doing technical writing/research after you get out of school. This is a skill that can be picked up later in your career if necessary.

I will restate my previous advice:
    If getting a BA with honors is actually a better degree in your country and,
    If you won't incur a significant amount of debt staying in school longer to get it and,
    If you can work your dissertation into solid content for your portfolio
    Go for it!

Otherwise, meh, its a nice bonus, but not at the cost of time that could otherwise be spent making art.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Neox wrote: »
    dude you just started your career, try to get a work visa somewhere not in the EU, good luck with your highschool dropout degree.
    You have to be extremely good, well connected and have a lot of credibilitiy to get an O-1 visa to work in the states for instance.
    I've been through that shit, by now i have my 12 years of work experience, but no degree will make it much much harder to get a job in the states.

You're absolutely right. I did consider this a while back and decided not to pursue a degree. For me personally there's no reason to favour the US over most western European countries.

Anyway, sorry for derailing the thread.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I was gonna graduate my college with honors. I decided I needed to prioritize my portfolio over graduating with honors and ended up getting a D in one of my creative writing classes I believe and a C- in some other dumb gen ed.

That time I didn't waste on going to those classes/doing the required work was spent on my folio and it benefited me so much. That said it would have been nice if I could have made that D a B and got my honors graduation just to be able to say that I did ha.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    The only time I've seen a hons degree come up as criteria is if you're thinking of doing a research degree (MPhil, PhD) without doing a masters, and maybe for jobs in traditional industries. For everything else where a degree matters it shouldn't be an issue if it's hons or not. In some countries the whole hons degree issue is totally unknown to begin with.