Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

SciFi Soldier

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
RaptorCWS polycounter lvl 11
Ok so I've been working on this for a while, and it is currently the most complex thing I have ever done. Still in the High Poly phase. I have never done hair planes before and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Also....eyeballs. I have never been able to make believable eyes. I think that it needs to be sculpted in high poly, I have just never done eyes that don't look like horrible paintings.

Any critiques are welcomed. The zspheres around the neck is going to get turned into a hose of some kind. I plan on detailing the armor a bit more since it is kind of boring at the moment (at least I think It is).

14605016581_661b34ce78_b.jpg

14608258125_eedd1d61ff_b.jpg

14421652548_e16ae08724_b.jpg
14605017911_e4fa59d15a_b.jpg

Replies

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Planes of face seems off. Especially forehead and cheekbones.
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    And proportions of body are also off. Arms are way too short. Legs feel a little short too.
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern wrote: »
    Planes of face seems off. Especially forehead and cheekbones.
    Thanks for pointing it out.
    OK So I think I have fixed it. If it is still off please let me know.14433576397_43e021c6ba_o.jpg

14433372099_f7e8156cac_o.jpg

14619965585_5e504ccd42_o.jpg
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba wrote: »
    And proportions of body are also off. Arms are way too short. Legs feel a little short too.
    Ok, thank you. so I've lengthened the arms and legs and it does look a lot better. Is there anything else you would suggest fixing at this point?

14433967188_52178694d9_o.jpg

14433966878_d32da792e5_o.jpg

14620569375_f5968855a9_o.jpg
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    I'd suggest you get a foto reference in:
    front, side and 3 quarters of the same male person (if you haven't) and start working on the face some more.
    There's quite a lot of stuff still off, don't add pores and details until you are a 100% sure the shapes work ^^

Also..if you have a basic body underneath it would be easier to judge anatomy problems on the body itself(but if you don't, because you were lazy and wanted to do armor without any anatomy.. well.. :P)
    Reference is key.. and even not so experienced people can create quite a lot while using good reference(me being one of them, just sharing my experience so far).
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I did have a sculpt for the anatomy underneath, and I thought it was fine. Instead of doing the smart thing and duplicating it or saving the file under a different name I used it for creating the under armor with panel loops so it now looks goofy.

I think something that is causing me problems is the person whose face I am modeling is not the same person as the body. The body I used a lot of references from roman sculptures along with some from renaissance sculptors. The face references I've been using is Daniel Craig, I watched skyfall the night before I started the face and said why not.

But here is what I have without the armor on it (well the outer armor).
    14621016372_dc6a9f7d32_b.jpg

14621015602_bc447068e9_b.jpg
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    Ok so I slapped together some quick images.. I'd just load them in as reference in zbrush (front and side atleast).. and adjust proportions until they are spot on. Then take the perspective one or another image where you can see some shading and further adjust.
    dc_zps684ebcca.jpg

For comparison: (grid lines have the same spacing).. his ears are rather large and the nasolabial fold isn't there yet.
    grid_zps3ee592e9.jpg

hopefully this is helpful for you :) photobucket is resizing the images.. they were supposed to be 2k
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It has helped out a lot, thank you. This is what I have done so far and probably as mush as i will get done for the day since it sounds like a thunderstorm is about to hit my town. if it blows over I will get back to work.
    14622073972_7787505aba_b.jpg

14435966868_1844e9b0b8_b.jpg

Something on mine still looks really off. I think its the part where his cheeks meets his jaw but every time i try to fix them it seems to no really change that much.

also, I have not tried to fix the ears yet
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    Try to work on lower subdivisions for basic shapes so you avoid all the blobbiness and have an easier time smoothing them out..

It's hard to see in the side view, but I think you could define the jaw line a bit more. The eyes seem a bit twisted too.
    cheers
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I have finally found time to work on this again. I have fixed the face and he now looks a lot like Daniel Craig. Also I have been working with a lower subdivision when I have been editing the model.

So this is where I am at now with the head.
    I plan on adding a helmet now, but I would also like to add a buzz cut and stubble to the character instead of clean shaved head and face. What would be the best way to pull that off?

14771186152_391d2d0b94_b.jpg

14585046697_fa98a0e538_b.jpg
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I need to take out the sculpted eyebrows and put in alpha planes. wanted to take a break from sculpting and decided to do some polypainting. How does it look? this was my first attempt at human skin.

14758614246_4876236a6d_b.jpg
    14595106737_978d3827f0_b.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can't give a big crit at the moment but - You should always sculpt with perspective on - actually toggling it on and off as you work. Especially when working from photos.

Press P to toggle it on and off in Zbrush.

I will defiantly start doing that. Thanks
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the most up to date version of my project.
    I need to texture and make a game res mesh still.
    Please point out anything that is off or needs a bit more work. thanks

14910279095_510f58d31a_b.jpg

14723601040_db4322ce3f_b.jpg

14910278535_4a4edf30bf_b.jpg

14724018598_4c83f3c940_b.jpg

14910250952_fe61e05f6e_b.jpg

14910249972_a89d75b8bc_b.jpg
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    found the answer to that question
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not much of an update. I keep going back and forth whether I should add more detail to the armor. right now I'm leaning to more detail now that the helmet looks way better.

14919512321_f7c3150f60_b.jpg
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    Hey man i saw your pm so heres my feedback

first of great effort you`re putting into learning zbrush and character art.
    But i think you`re taking on a bit more than you can chew atm.

theres two problems

1. Anatomy:
    You seem to be afraid to dig into your shapes, i suggest sculpting a naked body first before adding the armor ontop. Atm everything is very straight and rectangular as if you`re adding detail ontop of a basemesh.

2. Design:
    This is the most tricky one since it relies a lot on your own visual library and experience. Some shapes clash with eachother while others work perfectly. When your eye isnt trained you might feel something is off but cant point out what it is.

The only way to fix these problems is to do a lot of studies from reference, I`d say first leave the design part out. Try to create something from someone elses concept. Learn to see why things work and why not and move on from there.
    For anatomy do a lot of smaller studies, like sculpt a chest from reference out of a sphere. and do it a lot.

i`m sorry if this sounds harsh but i hope you get the message, if you do this you`ll become better at a much faster pace with a bit less of a headache from wondering why stuff isnt looking the way you want it to

good luck and keep on going!
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for getting back to me. I'll start doing anatomy studies tonight. and I agree, this will be the last model I do without a concept first for a long time. its been a major headache. no need to apologize for it sounding harsh I'd much rather have someone tell me the truth and how to fix it rather than someone saying it looks great. And thanks again.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    great :) btw just wanted to add maybe do some looser speedsculpts in which you try to design for instance a helmet, creature or whatever from the things you learned before but don`t spend days on it. The trick is that you do want to keep exercising your imagination too aside from the studies.
    But keep them relatively quick and to the point.
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so after digging through old save files I found a version of this project with the original anatomy I made for this guy (for some reason I decided using it for the under armor and smoothed all the details out without making a double in later saves). I did a little bit of touching up for about 45 minutes on it.

I feel like his knees are a little low.

14939507175_535611c49d_b.jpg

14752837980_23d9f3fe5b_b.jpg

14752836860_b2254a6564_b.jpg