Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

"Low Tech" Scifi Rifle

narticus
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
narticus polycounter lvl 7
Hi poly model I've been working on the past few weeks in my spare time. I think around 30-40 hours total so far. Is that a reasonable amount of time, or considered way too much in the industry? It's my first gun model, so I will hopefully be quicker next time around.

Feedback and comments are encouraged.

There are some floaters that will look weird from these perspectives.

tdp35RI.jpg

QelRBAx.jpg

XMpVUeo.jpg

Based on this concept:

ZQW7WUh.png

Low poly and baking next, followed by texturing with dDo and Substance Painter (possibly).

Replies

• Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    low tech is cool stuff

your edges are way too sharp, i can barely see them on the highpoly, your low will look like you didnt bake if you dont soften them up a bunch
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are all of them too sharp? I tried varying sharpness throughout the model.
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Yes the vast majority of your edges are too tight and will barely be picked up in your normal map. If the edges become too sharp you nullify the purpose of a normal map.

One odd question, why are you using an inverted color picture for reference?
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    Quack! wrote: »
    Yes the vast majority of your edges are too tight and will barely be picked up in your normal map. If the edges become too sharp you nullify the purpose of a normal map.

One odd question, why are you using an inverted color picture for reference?
    For the profile shot and silhouette I think.

Besides the edges, I think you did a pretty good job.
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It was just how the concept art was when I found it, so I stuck with it. Thanks for the tip guys, I will smooth out some edges. Can anyone post a good example vs. a bad example of baked edges?
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting started with softening the edges today. Quick question: how many polys would be acceptable for the game ready model if this were to be next gen. 10k?
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    Care about silhouette not poly count,after getting proper silhouette then optimize.
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    narticus wrote: »
    Getting started with softening the edges today. Quick question: how many polys would be acceptable for the game ready model if this were to be next gen. 10k?

Always set a quality bar for yourself. First person weapon? Third person weapon? Environment prop? Etc.

Tricounts now vary wildly with this new generation. First person weapons will probably go from around 3,000 tris for a simple pistol all the way up to and beyond 50,000 for complex weapons.
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, thanks for that info. This will definitely be a first person weapon.
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Softened most edges. Hopefully this will read better in the normal map.

dIv6oep.jpg

L4w8HN7.jpg

0jfXiCT.jpg

Do you think they're soft enough now?
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The only way to really tell is to bake the model. Looking good!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The overall design of the gun is way too flat and almost everything looks like the same width.

Compare this to other guns or more real world guns, there's maybe 50% of the general forms that are flat when viewed from the side, but the rest is large slopes, curves, and angled.

The 3d model just looks like it was designed from a side perspective and no thought was given to depth or the 3d view.

i3KWfaX.png
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zac, I agree the design isn't as three dimensional as it could be. But at this point, I'm just moving forward with it so I can continue with some other projects.
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Running into a bit of difficulty when trying to combine the UVs. I have 58 separate low poly pieces for this. Do I unwrap each one individually, or should I add all to one mesh, then unwrap? I've already unwrapped them individually, but it's tough to place them all correctly in the UV space.
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a search in the wiki and found my answer in this thread, for anyone who hasn't seen it: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133646
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    Curious to see where you take this.

*subscribed
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I'm running into problems with the normal bake. See the dark circle in the center? I checked the normals on the low and the high poly and they're both oriented correctly.

9vWINE8.png

In Marmoset, when I disable AO, it's not as bad, but there's still something wrong here:

EDPgGxy.png

The tubular piece directly below it seems to be inside out or something as well.
    Could this be a problem with the UV unwrap?

Also, I can't get the screw threads to bake properly. Any tips on that?

ec9Lpz4.png

Hi Poly

Cs2KPMT.png

Some overall shots from Marmoset, as well as the normal map baked in xNormal. Any tips or advice would be appreciated:

FRD73iv.png

SVYJuoY.png

yW0ddU8.png
  • sargentcrunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sargentcrunch polycounter lvl 10
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks like you may need to reset transforms on some of your objects.

The shaded part is happening because of your bake errors. The objects that are very prismatic need to be examined and rebaked to get them to look right. Look on your normal map to see the AO error, it is orange in color and should be like the rest of the map.

The error for the threads is that the normals are getting 'pulled' towards the verts, insert a loop in that cylinder to help.
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for that thread. That definitely helps with the screw threads.

I'm not mirroring anything as far as I know. Is there some way to show inverted UV faces in max?
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack, thanks for the quick fix on fixing the screw threads! Got them looking good enough for now.

As for the circular piece, I ended up just deleting it and reusing the geometry from the adjacent one in the low poly. That still hasn't fixed the problem. Could it possibly be an issue with the highpoly? I also pointed out a few other problems with my normals in the bottom image.

Sorry this went from a pimping thread to a help thread.

AaNAqX7.png

aNfdkSe.png
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I guess I exported the high poly with normals and smoothing groups on before. Just exported it without either of those and the results came out much better.

Next question is this is a 4k normal map and the mesh is 12.5k polys. Would this be acceptable in a modern day PS4 game, for example?

M1x7hhj.png

FTqjbML.png

gIiYb0I.png
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4k is what I would expect for a 'large' gun in a first person shooter. As for tri count, I would expect this to be in the 25-60k triangle range if it was for a first person game in this new generation.

As for your bake errors. I would assume that you used 'mirror' inside of 3dsmax? If you do that you have to reset the xforms of the mirrored object or it's normals will be flipped and can cause odd errors like this.
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I used symmetry a bunch, so maybe that's what caused the problem with the high poly?

If I have this all the way down to 12k polys, maybe I will add some more geo back in to some of the round shapes.

Thanks for all the advice so far guys!
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Symmetry doesn't cause the same xform errors that Mirror does. So it is probably something else.

Keep on trucking!
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still working on the normal map. I think I like where it's at now:

c0SJHEB.png

6aTYmvK.png

I2TrGnQ.png

u2NI2wF.png
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    Did you add more geo to the hole in the "foregrip"? I like it
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You mean the triangular pieces with the two holes in them? Then yes. Sorry, I'm still learning the technical names for gun parts. This was all completely foreign to me before creating this model, aside from some terms I learned in DayZ.

Anyway, working on the textures next. There's so many parts to this thing, I kinda wish I went with a simpler model to start with.
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still some tweaking to do but I have some materials laid in through dDo:

OwBS2kp.png

ShVEe1z.png

kjRZzwt.png
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damian Nachman polycounter lvl 6
    narticus wrote: »
    I used symmetry a bunch, so maybe that's what caused the problem with the high poly?

If I have this all the way down to 12k polys, maybe I will add some more geo back in to some of the round shapes.

Thanks for all the advice so far guys!

From what I can see, it seems like the model lacks some geo.
    Embrace the next gen! normal maps can only go so far.
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any feedback on the textures so far? Looking at them again today, I'm not too happy with them.
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tweaked the textures a bunch through dDo and added some by hand in photoshop. Still needs a lot of work, but feeling better about it.

cysfxj7.png

4Mi5tx4.png

tkvt7O5.png
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    It's looking a lot better now so good job on fixing the textures. I can't really see any big problems so far, the only thing I'd maybe change is the yellow wires coiled around the barrel in the front. The problem with them is that I'd expect them to be made out of copper if they're exposed or rubber/plastic if they're sleeved, however right now they look more like gold than anything else.
    Gold is sometimes used as a thin coating to protect against corrosion, so it could make sense, but I think it contrasts against the rest of the gun, which looks kind of cheap (by design) and as you said low-tech, a bit too much.

So in other words I think you should try to make the wires a bit more reddish/brown hue to resemble copper better as that makes more sense in my mind than the golden material you've got right.
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree the gold kind of contrasts, but I think I like it that way. I will try a different color to see if that looks better though. Thanks.

Also, any tips on creating decent glass for the scope?
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Went with a paler color for the copper wires. Kinda finished with this for now. I will probably return to it at some point, but I want to work on some other things first.

JwQAGJr.png
    niCp96W.png
    lc1EDbm.png
    ziUchPC.png
    rEfEsUE.png
    goFnPfT.png
  • AlphaMix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really love the Low Tech Feel, and there's nothing wrong with making a few adjustments that differ from the original concept to make the model a little better. Sometimes what works in 2D doesn't work as good in 3D and viceversa.

I made a sci fi weapon recently and mirrored most of it. I realized some of my baking errors were because I forgot to check the "ignore mirrored UVs" option before baking (they came out Orange in the normal map).

Other errors I fixed by making the edges of my UV shells "hard edges" and leaving the rest smooth. (with the exception of cylinders which you want smooth all around the bend). There was a script for that in one of those threads that were just posted about normal maps which automated this.
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Posting these online to my portfolio. Any crits or feedback is welcome. Should I include a rendering of the high poly? What about texture maps? Curious as to what people think about that.

aXjCLg0.jpg

Qcxmnqw.jpg

x0FbqUM.jpg

E6HXsar.jpg
  • AlphaMix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Would be nice to see high poly and texture maps here on the forum, but for your portfolio, sticking the UV layout into the image doesn't look very pretty anymore, nowadays with the big maps it just seems like a mess in my opinion

I forgot to say, I think copper is more pinkish
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Went back and updated this thing:

6rY5jEh.png

I5kDVp0.png

8tJcy8d.png

oOpHwro.png

04C9rm6.png

l2lTMrL.png