Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Handpainted RPG environment feedback

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Royall polycounter lvl 3
Dear community,

For the last couple of months I am working on a RPG game in a oriental/samurai setting.

Im working hard to improve my hand painted texture skills and doing everything myself including scripting.

I want to show of this little environment because I need a little feedback.
Note that the game has a semi toptown view.

3518y0l.jpg

53v860.jpg

Hope you guys can help me improve the scene a little :)

Replies

• elementrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elementrix polycounter lvl 15
    I think you've already accomplished quite something but I think you should take a step back and look at your scene as a whole, the individual textures don't look that bad but when you blur your eyes you'll see that everything is more or less the same value and it becomes one big green blur, it makes it pretty hard to read the scene.

I think it would really help if you bring in darker shadows and paint some darker textures here and there, make the path where the character has to walk the brighter part so you can put a focus on those parts.

Next to that I don't really get a oriental/samurai vibe from what I'm seeing, what reference did you use in the concept/asset creation process?
  • Royall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Royall polycounter lvl 3
    Do you mean some darker grass or something?

I did not had any concept art reference. Im also missing this 'vibe' but can't really figure out what is missing :(
  • LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    the scene doesn`t look bad, but as elementrix say`d you need some color variation some points on the scene to focus on, and about the reference ....you really need some reference when you want something to look really good. keep up the good work.
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    It looks nice, but i can definitely tell you didnt do much research. If you havent told us its a oriental/samurai thing, no one could guess it looks way more like a medieval scene. Windmill and house look really european, the vegetation either, I get the bonzai style, but why would some tree be red and the rest super green, even japanese maple tree arent that red in summer time.
  • Royall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Royall polycounter lvl 3
    Yes, I know got to work on tree colors. The green tree represents an oak. And the red one a maple. The windmill was bit of an issue cause I wasn't able to get some oriental reference. Maybe because they didn't use midmills much because of rice. Could be wrong ;)
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Odow is right. The scenery doesn't feel asian to me either. Since samurai are japanese you should look at a lot of japanese photos to get a feeling for the environment. And by environment I mean foliage and architecture. Maybe search for a photo-blog about japan or samurais I guess there are a few with great photography on them.
  • Royall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Royall polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks for the feedback, as of now im trying to give it a more asian vibe. I designed a new house and added some bamboo yesterday ;)

e19lvt.jpg
    What do you think? Also planning to rework the well and windmill...

I am also thinking about creating some rock boulders to create cliffs... Tryed many things but can't seem to create something that matches the environment and is easy tilable. Does anyone have an idea?
  • Dennispls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dennispls polycounter lvl 16
    I agree with the others here that the scene lacks proper lighting and oriental atmosphere.
    Try to use vertex colors to simulate lighting. This could help you pop out protruding rock areas and grassy hills more. The grass and the trees seem to use the same color green. Try a darker shade of green so the leafs do not blend in with the floor.
  • Royall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Royall polycounter lvl 3
    Dennispls wrote: »
    I agree with the others here that the scene lacks proper lighting and oriental atmosphere.
    Try to use vertex colors to simulate lighting. This could help you pop out protruding rock areas and grassy hills more. The grass and the trees seem to use the same color green. Try a darker shade of green so the leafs do not blend in with the floor.

What do you mean with vertex colors?
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    You should take a look at this post from Jeff Parrot's blog. I think your scene is lacking in value separation as Elementrix has already mentioned.

http://blog.environmentartist.com/?p=1127
  • Dennispls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dennispls polycounter lvl 16
    Royall wrote: »
    What do you mean with vertex colors?
    Vertex coloring is exactly what it says. You can give a vert a color.
    For more information have a look at the article below:

http://www.alkemi-games.com/a-game-of-tricks-ii-vertex-color/
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    I really like that new house and the bamboo-tree looks sweet, too!

Maybe you could add some flat stones along the path, like they often do in japanese gardens (so you don't walk on the grass or sand or whatever) just a few maybe somewhere between the lantern and the well.

Some gradients could also help ground the assets. Like a gradient along the trunk of the bamboo.
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Well windmill came from Netherlands. If i'm not mistaken, they were a doing commerce with japan during the christian rebellion. So they do existed, but they were rare and totally not iconic of the japanese culture. They used watermill way more.

Even if it looks nice in the scene, bamboo doesn't grow randomly, they grow as a forest even more in japan.

The architecture you used for the house isn't an house architecture, it's a castle/temple architecture as it cost A LOT. House looked like that in the feudal japan http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/12405400.jpg. (and this is a middle class house, not a poor one)

The lantern you put for lighting are made of paper, it's only use during festival or in some small street of town, for decoration as they break easily. It would be a huge waste of money to put some in the country.

Hope it help :)
  • Royall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Royall polycounter lvl 3
    Odow wrote: »
    Well windmill came from Netherlands. If i'm not mistaken, they were a doing commerce with japan during the christian rebellion. So they do existed, but they were rare and totally not iconic of the japanese culture. They used watermill way more.

Even if it looks nice in the scene, bamboo doesn't grow randomly, they grow as a forest even more in japan.

The architecture you used for the house isn't an house architecture, it's a castle/temple architecture as it cost A LOT. House looked like that in the feudal japan http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/12405400.jpg. (and this is a middle class house, not a poor one)

The lantern you put for lighting are made of paper, it's only use during festival or in some small street of town, for decoration as they break easily. It would be a huge waste of money to put some in the country.

Hope it help :)

Yeah, I get your point. But you may forget it's a game with a cartoon feel so it doesn't have to be that realistic. Your right about the houses, will also make some hay ones as well.

Do you have ideas for some alternative windmill prop. I want to make some veggie or rice paddies as well to let it look like a little house farm.
  • Royall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Royall polycounter lvl 3
    Fenyce wrote: »
    I really like that new house and the bamboo-tree looks sweet, too!

Maybe you could add some flat stones along the path, like they often do in japanese gardens (so you don't walk on the grass or sand or whatever) just a few maybe somewhere between the lantern and the well.

Some gradients could also help ground the assets. Like a gradient along the trunk of the bamboo.

Thank you! Love your idea about the flat stones, will create some soon! :poly121:
  • Royall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Royall polycounter lvl 3
    Tobbo wrote: »
    You should take a look at this post from Jeff Parrot's blog. I think your scene is lacking in value separation as Elementrix has already mentioned.

http://blog.environmentartist.com/?p=1127

Hmmm interesting. Not really sure how to apply this technique but I will search some more ;)
  • Xainkrif
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice setup! It is a little green though. Good work all in all however. Look forward to future creations!
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Just because something is cartoon doesn't mean it doesn't have to be realistic, you're mixing two things.

A style : Cartoon vs realistic
    And the "setup": Fantasy vs historical period based.
    (sorry i'm not native english and i'm having a hard time searching for the right term haha)

Just because you're style is cartoon hand painting doesn't mean you have no research to do. The more research you does, the better everything look. Knowing to search for reference or taking inspiration is really important. Just throwing things in because you feel like it isn't always the best way. It's often the small thing that look useless that make the biggest change.

I'm not saying that to be an annoying brat or something like that, i'm saying that to you because you have talent and your props look nice, but together as a scene it just doesn't fit.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Royall wrote: »
    Hmmm interesting. Not really sure how to apply this technique but I will search some more ;)

You might try adjusting some of the values on your textures to see if you can get a little more separation. :)
  • Royall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Royall polycounter lvl 3
    What do you guys think of this:

f9jbxl.jpg

Created some rock boulders and did a rework on some colors to give a little contrast..
  • redcap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    redcap polycounter lvl 11
    Looking much better already. Again though, don't be afraid to use bolder contrasts, especially in a stylized environment. For example, look at the wheel barrow, it looks almost like a sold brown shape. I can't see individual boards, or where the wheels actually are. Put a few VERY dark strokes into it and some very bright highlights. Without bold lights and darks the scene just starts to get a washed out look. Another example is the roof. Deepen the dark blues and lighten the light blues.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    It's looking better Royall! :) I'm really liking your grey rocks. Maybe make the bamboo trunks a bit different color or value than the bamboo leaves?
  • Royall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Royall polycounter lvl 3
    redcap wrote: »
    Looking much better already. Again though, don't be afraid to use bolder contrasts, especially in a stylized environment. For example, look at the wheel barrow, it looks almost like a sold brown shape. I can't see individual boards, or where the wheels actually are. Put a few VERY dark strokes into it and some very bright highlights. Without bold lights and darks the scene just starts to get a washed out look. Another example is the roof. Deepen the dark blues and lighten the light blues.

Yes, already had plans for the wheel barrow to redo it. Also has a very low res texture right know.
  • Royall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Royall polycounter lvl 3
    Tobbo wrote: »
    It's looking better Royall! :) I'm really liking your grey rocks. Maybe make the bamboo trunks a bit different color or value than the bamboo leaves?

Thanks! That's a good one, will do
  • Royall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Royall polycounter lvl 3
    So I created some more props!

Here is a bridge:
    4hv0o3.jpg

And a Torii (wip):
    auy3k.jpg
  • Poinball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poinball polycounter lvl 6
    Nice job ! Look very cool
  • Royall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Royall polycounter lvl 3
    After some time of coding, I am back on the art side of my game. Still, I am not satisfied with the overall feel of the environment, colors and textures.

The overall scene looks to 'green' and it has a bit of a tropical setting to me which is not the look I wanted it to have. I am trying to create a stylized oriental setting, and I think it still needs some tweaking.

Hope you guys can still give me some directions :)

This is the scene I currently have:

zo8jmb.jpg