Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Geralt Witcher 3 Fan Art

stevston89
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
stevston89 interpolator
So there are several goals for this project. The overall goal is to create a realistic character up to standards with next gen games. The smaller individual goals are:
Learn Male Anatomy
Learn Cloth Sculpting
Reach Last of Us quality character sculpt
Make a full realistic character using PBR workflows
Learn better posing and presentation

I am going to be making Geralt from the Witcher 3. Here is the concept I will be basing it off of:

IcSI5MZ.jpg

I have been working/ learning male anatomy in my free time over the past couple of weeks. I am looking for harsh crits on the anatomy. I won't be moving past the anatomy until it looks great, not just good. So please crit. Also if there is anything I learn that I feel would be useful I will try to post a breakdown of how I am handling it.

Here is the first WIP screen so crit away!

TdFJTyU.jpg

Replies

• stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Also I may look into making some effects at the end of this for the final presentation, but I am not sure yet.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Bump. If anyone has some feedback on this it would be greatly appreciated. Something feels off and I can't quite put my finger on it.
  • Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    I LOVE the Witcher games and am planning on some fan art myself, so I'll keep an eye on this thread :D

I like the concept, might be an idea to show some of the reference? I can see the sculpt is early days so my crits might actually not be real issues but here it goes...

He looks a bit to 'bulky' for Geralt, he's a lot leaner in the games like in this image - witcher2%2Btopless%2Bdungeon%2Bscene.jpg

So I'd mess with the proportions somewhat :)

Look forward to seeing where this goes :D
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @ Optinium - Thanks for the feedback. I will get some ref up here soon, but I am trying to go with a fattier build as he has aged a bit in the witcher 3. I am thinking something more like Kahl Drogo than Geralt from the witcher 2. I realize now that I need to add alot more fat to the body.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Ok so I change up the proportions a bit. He is a bit leaner now, but less defined. I pretty happy with the large forms right now. I will be moving to getting some finer details onto the body now. Also I am going to start focusing in on the face. Going to work on making a ref board to get up here right now. Anyways here is a screen:

cufbAhs.jpg
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Here is a ref board I put together for the face and body. E3 has been really helpful been able to grab screens from all of the videos out there as ref.

Rv17lz0.jpg
  • gyarados
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work so far. I read in your previous post that you wanted him leaner so my crits may not apply or could be just outright wrong.
    http://cgyarados.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/crit.jpg
    • The pecs should be more flush with the underside of the clavicle
    • More shape in the "love handle"(oblique?) muscles.
    • More definition/shape overall in the abs.
  • JunkieKong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong interpolator
    Personally I liked that you were making Geralt bulkier than usual, I think it works well considering he's supposed to be older in the Witcher 3. My only request is that you don't base the face off of the E3 trailer, as for some reason they made him actually look younger and handsome, which I don't like - but that's just my opinion. I like this earlier version, mostly because he actually has a white beard.
    GEsz791.jpg
    I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @ gyarados - thanks for the crits I will keep them in mind.

@ JunkieKong - Don't worry I plan on making it more like the original concept than the E3 version. That is just ref for the overall shape and structure.

So I probably won't be working on this for a little but. Just had my wisdom teeth out and don't really feel up to working. Will be back to work on it next week. I will try to get an update up here this weekend.