Home General Discussion

your freelance source?

weee
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
weee polycounter lvl 3
almost all the freelance websites look miserable as far as the rate is concerned, they just throw you into some sweatshop; so folks, what is your source of getting the job? is your network the only viable source? and how do you build it up if you can shed some light.

Replies

• drawntothenorth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    drawntothenorth triangle
    I once bought a list of contacts from bikini-list when I was trying to get started in illustration a couple of years back, but because my work was not good enough I didn't get much out of it.

Overall its best to just start collecting the info of those you want to target yourself and start making calls, theres a lot of info you can find all over the net that talk about dealing with clients/art directors etc
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    I get 100% of my work from existing clients and word of mouth.

Starting off (over 10 years ago, now), I filled a portfolio with my best work and asked around for anything I could get my hands on. I completed whatever work I could get as fast as I could and to the best of my ability. It wasn't always for the best rates, or the most interesting work - That came later, when I'd some skill and experience under my belt.

Best of luck!
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    All the freelance I've ever gotten has been from contacts I've made from my time in the industry or from companies that have contacted me through my website because of work I've posted online.
  • Bridget
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    existing clients and word of mouth. people you know, that's probably the only reason why you should go to higher education, to socialize... those contacts become very important later in life.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    I've gotten a fair number of jobs from cold contacts..and luke warm contacts(friend of a friend of a friend kind of deal). It Never hurts to inquire with an email. You could get a job or a contact. The worst thing that could happen is that they will ignore you. Not saying you should email blast every outsourcing manager from here to Eternity, but a little snooping on linkedin/twitter can reveal a whole crop of professionals open to a letter of inquiry....good luck
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    I just Google 24/7. (It's helps to have pre-set tag filters and mobile phone placed next to your ear when you nap :\). No cold calls or spamming just directly responding to individuals (some rep their studios) looking for artists. Averaging about 6 contacts per day (could be more but playground time with my kid won't let me do that easily).

My success ratio is nothing impressive but the clients I've found and dealt with so far have all paid upfront (% or in full) and have paid me fairly.

But having said that, don't just rely on Google. Consider ways to seek biz in your local market (gamedev themed meetups, local comic con, etc.) and also do your checks on social media. Leads from there don't automatically show up on google.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    I have almost gotten every freelance job just by being visible on PC and other sites, like if you post some good looking rocks in the rawk thread you will probably get some sculpting work etc, so get that portfolio in your signature.

just by creating this thread, possible clients could be reading it and see that you are looking for work, but without a portfolio that's not worth much.