Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mechanical Bug

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
DJ_Aaron polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys! thought i'd show you my little project for University. There are a few things to work on but im happy at this stage to submit. As I can not afford anymore time on this until the exams are finished!

There are two maybe unnecessary 2k maps on him that could be squeezed onto one uv map, but I wanted to punch out as much detail as possible to get him looking good in marmoset. One for the body and the other for his white Armoured shell bits!

Very portal/half-life inspired when started I started!
Hope you like! wish me luck on a pass! :)

[URL="[URL=http://imgur.com/ZEDKefZ][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ZEDKefZ.jpg[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]ZEDKefZ.jpg
[IMG][/img]lHCPrWh.jpg
[IMG][/img]RKTJmg6.jpg
h6WbU0n.jpg

Replies

• DJ_Aaron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fancy ndo2 presentation, because its awesome. Thank you quixel dudes! :D [IMG][/img]ThXab8K.jpg
  • Thaiauxn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thaiauxn polycounter lvl 7
    Great job getting those edges nice and smooth! Could maybe use a few more edge loops to make the lowploy to feel a little more rounded on the shell, but still it's a very effective model.
  • Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    Looks really cool! Just wish that shell had a few more tris <3
  • Swarm22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swarm22 polycounter lvl 15
    I agree with the more tris comment. What really sticks out to me are those cloudy dirt details. I think they are way too strong against that white background. It just pops too much and the placement is very random. I think it would look much better if you strategically placed the dirt and lowered the opacity on that to %10-%15. More subtle.
  • DJ_Aaron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree. I knew there was just a few more edge loops to be added! Will defiantly get to this. thanks Swarm, looking at it now they especially look out of place with the clean environment.Posted this before but here is my environment piece which was part of the 3d module too for anyone interested. It's solely to support this guy and not a fully fleshed environment..

[IMG][/img]NglwIem.jpg

[IMG][/img]HUWdpkY.jpg
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You might want to differentiate the materials a bit more, giving the metal more of a chrome or brushed metal look, and making the shell more plastic, possibly adding scuffs or dings on the plastic.

What's causing the discoloration on the shell? If the robot could curl into a ball and roll, then it might be believable as scuffs, but it doesn't read like that and the robot doesn't look quite able to roll. If you're trying to show age, then some general yellowing, especially in the most exposed areas, might work better.

You might want to expand on the blue stripes on the legs to add a bit of color. Perhaps a stripe down the back, or numbers on the shoulders or back? I'd move away from the pastel, however, and towards a saturated color.

The yellow ring in the body might work better with a fan or duct overlay - some indication of a purpose beyond "glowy yellow light".

Adding black rubber feet to the legs might help add some variety and detail, as well as removing that incessant clatter when it walks down the metal hall...
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    Your specular map has a lot of range. I'm not experienced with the setup of Marmoset but should it not simply be metals and none metals? You appear to have some painted surface in the mid range of your specular. I would expect to see none metals 40-75 and metals 175-225. But like I said, I'm not sure on the values Marmoset uses for its PBR.