Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

African Union Armed Forces (Year 2049)

sublime tool
Offline / Send Message
beefaroni sublime tool
*UPDATE* Going to call this finished. There are a LOT of issues I ran into/still present but it feels like a huge improvement over my last model.

Final Renders:
front_final.jpg?1401759857

rear_final.jpg?1401759862

So I've been working on this model after work for the past few months. I really wanted to push myself to learn a lot of Zbrush hard surface techniques as well as the entire pipeline from hp to lp (whether for games or VFX) to texturing, etc. Anyways..

In the future, the African Union and its 54 members create a small, specialized military. They ensure peace across member states and deal with any high-profile attacks.

Now that the brief story is out of the way, I wanted the design for the guy to be kind of high-tech but low-tech at the same time (I don't know what I'm saying). The helmet has a lot of advanced technology in the visor; however, all the computing power/batteries can't fit neatly inside of the helmet, so there are computers on back. Not everything makes sense on the model, but anyways, here are the high-poly renders.

I don't have too much experience with realistic texturing, but hopefully I can have a update sooner rather than later.

I'd love to hear any problems with the model; however, I don't think I will have time to change too much. Ideally, I'd like to have a solid understanding of the entire pipeline before school starts back up and group projects begin!!

HP renders

ao7RuPq.jpg

D3iaSdl.jpg

Photoshop paintover to figure out values (older model)

RYFmnH0.png

5kDGQVM.png

Logos

azY83vE.png

Replies

• InvertedVantage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    InvertedVantage polygon
    Really liking this. Not sure of the function of the front panel - is it a screen or a camera lens cover?
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Ah yea, it's going to be a screen to display warnings or other messages for peacekeeping stuff (just general looks..). Usually, it'll have the elephant squad logo projecting on the front. The screen resolution is going to be noticeable though. Kind of like..

LED_display_screen_panel.jpg
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    beefaroni wrote: »
    Now that the brief story is out of the way, I wanted the design for the guy to be kind of high-tech but low-tech at the same time (I don't know what I'm saying). The helmet has a lot of advanced technology in the visor; however, all the computing power/batteries can't fit neatly inside of the helmet, so there are computers on back. Not everything makes sense on the model, but anyways, here are the high-poly renders.
    i think you've done well designing this in the model itself. the helmet reads as futuristic ballistic plastic, but the mounted parts help it feel modern. in particular, the external flashlight and antennae feel relatable. good work!
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Haven't updated in a bit. I've been working on custom materials/procedural texturing in V-Ray.

For now, just some basic renders. No fancy shading yet. Need to work out colors first. Hopefully more soon!

5uRKYgM.png

E3pmbpX.png
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Hmm can't decide to go for a louder color scheme with more accents or something more "realistic".. Any ideas compared with last post?

On a side note, logos are getting put in now.

ovxpfYr.png
  • Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    Hey! Lovely work so far, I just had some thoughts about the colors:
    It's the African Union Armed Forces, but where in Africa is he stationed? I mean, if he's in Kongo you would probably want to go with a much darker color scheme so he easily can move through the jungle without being detected. If he's in egypt on the other hand, lighter sand colors would probably be suitable!

Again, classy work :) Looking forward to seeing more!
  • locater16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    Silly! But cool enough looking high tech nonsense that I'll give it a thumbs up. I hope this is a design meant for baddies though. Not having a face, or complete face, makes them easier to kill by the hundreds. Meanwhile having a face to look at makes the good guys more empathic and relateable.

For that matter I'd keep the colors muted though. The proportions and initial renders seem to tend more towards "real" than a cartoony style, and in keeping with that I'd go with more "plausible" for the color scheme.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Thanks for the comments guys.

I decided to lighten up the entire palette and put him in a desert/warmer climate. Also decided to push it towards a more "real" look. I still wanted to have the logos everywhere though. And he's supposed to be good but it's a bit too late to change it.

Unless there is a huge glaring issue, I'm going to start working on the materials (painted metal, cloth, wear, etc). Update whenever those are finished. Also definitely need to re-do the front panel screen. I'm going to wait on that until the materials are a bit further along though.

w2sb8Lk.png

AJmaYdT.png
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Going to call this finished. There are a LOT of issues I ran into/still present but it feels like a huge improvement over my last model.

Final Renders:
    22Dd2lN.png

wsVAN0u.png
  • looprix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looprix polycounter lvl 8
    I think you could spice up the render a bit with different material types. Everything is matte right now. Perhaps a few shiny metal sections?
    Maybe some strong gloss maps too.
    You can always come back to it later then you may see it differently.
    Fun design though :D
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    The nice, triangular imprints on the helmet: are they done with alphas?
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Nice beefaroni!
    Good work. But like looprix said the whole render comes out a bit matte.
    Mabye push a bit the render but anyway, great job
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    @Looprix and Gazu - Thank you guys. The materials are definitely a bit matte. I originally created a shader ball and created all the materials on darker colors (dark plastic, dark paint, etc). However, when applying the shader to a lighter material, the nice spec and dirt values I had going got washed out a bit. I think it could be the lighting as well. Anyways, it's something to fix in the next project for sure. I'm also going to think about material placement a lot more when modeling so I can have some purely reflective parts. Edit: I also learned that objects with a hint of a curve in them look much better than 100% flat objects (the belt buckle for example could be more curved).

@Stirls - The triangles cut into the helmet (and other parts) were done using Tom Paul's Hard-surface techniques.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBv8jww8DCU&feature=kp

With that all said, thank you for all the comments guys. Hopefully the next project will be even better :D

Oh and by the way this was my guy from sept/dec last year
    http://i.imgur.com/AMV9fYQ.png
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Guess I uploaded a bit pre-maturely. Did some re-comping today (with advice from my boss).

Images up top.