Home Technical Talk

3Ds max Move tool issue

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
wirrexx quad damage
Hey Guys, im trying to learn 3Ds max at the moment but i just hit a minor error.

What i'm trying to do:

Aligning a mesh edge with a vertex.

How:
By selecting the edge with "snapping to vertex" turned on, i drag the edge in the Y-axis (the axis i want to move it).

The Problem:

Even though i drag it by the Y axis, the Move tool moves in all axis! :S

Replies

• Chrisjenno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chrisjenno polycounter lvl 9
    Right click on the Snaps Toggle button to bring up Grid and Snap settings. Go to the Options tab, and turn on "Use Axis Constraints". Hopefully that should fix it. :)
  • pablohotsauce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pablohotsauce polycounter lvl 7
    You need to constrain movement to the Y axis only, but, as you've found out, the behavior of the move gizmo becomes unpredictable when you have snapping on. You need to enable axis constraints. Right-click on an empty area of the top toolbar and choose Axis Constraints. This should come up:

3ds-axis-constraints.jpg~original

The rightmost button (Enable Axis Constrains in Snap Toggle) determines whether movement is constrained while snap is active. To the left of that toggle, choose what axis (or what plane: XY, YZ, ZX) you want to constraint movement to. Now, ignore your move gizmo (you can hide it if you want--Shift+Ctrl+X), and just grab a vertex on the edge you want to move, and drag it over to the vertex you want to line it up to. Should work.

More explanation of snap behavior in this video:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLzTpr3mY5I"]Using the Snap Tools - YouTube[/ame]

edit: oops, took too long to answer, someone else did. The extra details might be helpful though :)
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    Thank you so much guys!