Home Technical Talk

Texturing a large asset (Student Feedback Question)

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
IllusivePixel polycounter lvl 4
Hi there! I'm a student trying to achieve a Halo/Star Wars style look with my textures for my project, but if I'm entirely honest I can't even see where to start with it! Anyone have any suggestions on getting a good metal material, something very sci-fi?
Also, I have a fairly large building that needs texturing and I was wondering if it'd be best to tile the textures or do something more unique, I want to use the least textures possible. (EDIT)

Here's my blog with all my progress, and all the textures I've used so far are not mine as it's just to figure out what kind of look I want. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
http://lvetoretiart.tumblr.com/

And here's the asset, with diffuse only:
tumblr_inline_n3rz92LWV21soknkg.jpg

Here's another one I played with:
tumblr_inline_n3oqd2wQjS1soknkg.jpg

Sorry if it's all quite vague, there's a reason I'm a student, but you can find it all on the blog.
Thank you!

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Something of that scale - if it's to be seen up close - is way beyond your standard asset workflow and well into the approach you'd use on an environment.

If we were building that at the office it'd be large chunks of unique geometry trimmed with instanced objects that all have their own textures.

fwiw I quite like 2 and 3 - you could model around the patterns to get some nice surface details and re-use textures all over the shop to get some variety.
  • IllusivePixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IllusivePixel polycounter lvl 4
    perna wrote: »
    A suggestion:

People are going to see your rambling wall of text and just close the tab.

You could simply write that you need suggestions for how to use tiling textures and achieve a halo-style look with your asset.

...To which people are going to ask you for specs: Which engine are you using, what are your technical limitations, such as texture size, what kind of material system are you using, can you use vertex color? What is the distance at which the player will see the object? And so on..

So next time, give more useful technical information about what it is you require and skip the whole part about telling us the story of your life.
    Thanks, I'm sorry if it was too much text for you I'll make sure to simplify in the future.
    poopipe wrote: »
    Something of that scale - if it's to be seen up close - is way beyond your standard asset workflow and well into the approach you'd use on an environment.

If we were building that at the office it'd be large chunks of unique geometry trimmed with instanced objects that all have their own textures.

fwiw I quite like 2 and 3 - you could model around the patterns to get some nice surface details and re-use textures all over the shop to get some variety.

Yeah I suppose it is more of an environment approach, my technical terms aren't quite industry standard yet! But thank you for the feedback, I do prefer 2 and 3 as well, but when it comes to texture space, due to the fact that the object is quite large, I'm starting to run out of space so I need to start thinking about how to tile it all.

I've been trying to keep it all to a minimum amount of textures, but I suppose I could try having separate geometry with their own textures.