Home Technical Talk

Is there a way to increase the padding after rendering a texture?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Joltya polycounter lvl 10
So I'm rendering some maps right now, and due to the somewhat unconventional pipeline I've set up for myself, I can't have the padding too high or else the textures will bleed over into eachother. However, the padding I have right now is too low, and there are some very visable issues near some of the seems. I'm sure there has to be a way that I can stretch the pixels from the edge to fix the problem, but I'm not sure how. Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    http://wiki.polycount.com/EdgePadding
    Photoshop has several methods for edge padding:

Solidify.
    Solidify is a free filter that pads out the edge pixels and blurs them together.
    Filter > Other > Maximum.
    Before running the filter, fill the empty areas with black, and make a non-anti-aliased selection of the empty areas. Beware that when the padding overlaps itself, it does so additively, over-brightening the pad colors.
    Xnormal has a Dilation filter that works well.
    Before running the filter, make sure the UV shells are together on a single RGB layer, and the gutters are transparent (deleted).
    Eric Chadwick has an Action called UV padding from Alpha that adds an 8-pixel edge pad.
    The Action is slow, but it greatly reduces pixel-streaking and is non-destructive. Before running the filter, make sure you have a non-anti-aliased alpha channel, with white shells and black gutters.
  • Joltya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joltya polycounter lvl 10
    Awesome thank you so much!
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Xnormal comes with a Photoshop plugin called dialate that is perfect for this