Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Honda Lawnmower

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Joltya polycounter lvl 10
Hello PC! I have this posted in the thread in my sig, but I'm beginning to think that it's getting a bit too cluttered with the other projects I'm working on, so I'm breaking them up into individual threads. (Should I even bother updating the other one anymore, or should I keep it?)

Anyway, here's a lawnmower I built. My teacher is more of a cinema quality person, so he wanted me to texture the high poly, but I'm still wanting to low poly it and just bake the textures on it. Right now, the low poly is just under 10,000 tris. I'd really like some feedback before I move forward, so please critique!

HIGH POLY (UNTEXTURED)
tKqRV2t.jpg

HIGH POLY (TEXTURED)
gywxXxR.jpg
FVW3N2n.jpg

LOW POLY (9,764 TRIS)
H8Gdec9.jpg
FPC7SaR.jpg
LVmOZQB.jpg

Replies

• jaker3278
    Offline / Send Message
    jaker3278 polycounter lvl 8
    very nice model you have created,good work. It looks very clean indeed. I am a newbie when it comes to modeling. A question i have for you is how did you create the low poly from the high poly? did you manual remove the loops?

A+ work!
  • jaker3278
    Offline / Send Message
    jaker3278 polycounter lvl 8
    one critique i have about the texturing is the red paint on the motor of the lawnmower needs more red and gloss to give it a metal look. It looks dull and doesn't look like metal.
  • billymcguffin
    Offline / Send Message
    billymcguffin polycounter lvl 11
    The red part is plastic, but I agree it should be shinier
  • Joltya
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaker: For the high poly, I mostly just removed the subdivisions from the high poly and then started removing loops and optimizing the geometry. There were also some tight springs here and there that I replaced with cylinders.

Billy: Thanks for the feedback. That was definitely one of the more challenging textures to do, but hopefully I'll do better with it when I can edit it within Marmoset.
  • luge
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    i'd agree about the red, it should be a bit more glossy. I also feel like your bars should have a higher spec than they do right now. I wonder though, why texture the high-poly if you were going to bake down for a low poly? I mean, I don't think it would make a difference either way, just curious why you chose that idea instead. after all, I'd think uving the high poly would be a pain, and then changing your geo in the low poly, wouldn't that make texturing the high-poly a little pointless since your uvs would be changed or did they not change much?
  • ActionDawg
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    The biggest problem is your lighting isn't showing it off at all, so your surfaces look like they have no material definition. Render it under sunlit conditions and it will look much better. It will also give a better lighting condition to evaluate how your materials can improve.
  • Cremuss
    Offline / Send Message
    Cremuss polycounter lvl 12
    I agree with the guys here, hipoly and lowpoly model looks flawless but lighting/materials are your biggest issue here.

A lighting as ambiant as you have here is maybe not the best scenario to make your asset pop... Everything is flat, it lacks proper shadow/edges highlight/specular and contrast !

Keep it up.
  • Joltya
    Offline / Send Message
    Luge: I did not choose to texture the high poly first. It's kind of a weird situation, but basically I had the high poly model built and had to take a class on cinema quality rendering before I could finish the low poly. The teacher wanted me to texture the high poly because obviously it has more geo and would be more realistic. So I figured that would be okay, since I could just back down the textures to the low poly when it was done.

Somedoggy: I don't really know what you're saying. I am using an IBL in mental ray, so it is pretty much sunlit, unless there is something that I'm missing.

Redid some of the topology a little. Now sitting at EXACTLY 10,000 tris. If anyone sees any issues with the wires or shading, please let me know.

nSfV0Ad.jpg
  • sushi
    Nice work make the red plastic more saturated for that HONDA look
  • Joltya
    Offline / Send Message
    Well after spending a couple of days on the unwrap and rendering the textures, I finally got the textures on the low poly. I had to do a lot of work and adjustments to the maps though. It still has a ways to go, and I am having a lot of trouble trying to figure out how to make my textures better, so if anyone sees something I'm doing wrong, please point it out.

eLZMR9J.jpg

albedo
    gH3EQYl.jpg

spec
    VwHyir0.jpg

gloss
    UTmUlOM.jpg.
  • DWalker
    The ground under the tires feels more like a flat plane than a proper lawn. Even at the lowest setting the grass is going to be a couple of inches high, and should rise above the bottom of the wheels.
    how-to-mow-your-lawn-1.jpg
  • Joltya
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I'm finally wrapping my mind around PBR now. Just a bit further to go.

1jHDesr.jpg
    DWalker wrote: »
    The ground under the tires feels more like a flat plane than a proper lawn. Even at the lowest setting the grass is going to be a couple of inches high, and should rise above the bottom of the wheels.
    how-to-mow-your-lawn-1.jpg

I appreciate the feedback, however that render was done as a class project and now that the class has ended, I'm not looking to spend any more time on it.
  • Joost
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Looking good! The material definition could be better though.

You need more texture in your gloss map. It looks like you've got your gloss and spec maps switched?

You went a bit overboard with the dirt on the paint. Also I'd add some chipped away areas. The metal is all very grey. Give some color to the dust and add some rust or patina.
    Look at this reference for texturing(not the same model): http://realdogboy.com/farm/toro-1.jpg
  • Joltya
    Offline / Send Message
    komaokc wrote: »
    Looking good! The material definition could be better though.

You need more texture in your gloss map. It looks like you've got your gloss and spec maps switched?

You went a bit overboard with the dirt on the paint. Also I'd add some chipped away areas. The metal is all very grey. Give some color to the dust and add some rust or patina.
    Look at this reference for texturing(not the same model): http://realdogboy.com/farm/toro-1.jpg

Thanks! For the gloss map, I was under the impression that more texture work goes into the spec, while the gloss generally remains a flat color. Is that wrong? I'll definitely go back and remove some of the dirt and color it a bit as well as adding rust where I can.
  • Joost
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    JoltZero wrote: »
    Thanks! For the gloss map, I was under the impression that more texture work goes into the spec, while the gloss generally remains a flat color. Is that wrong? I'll definitely go back and remove some of the dirt and color it a bit as well as adding rust where I can.

That used to be the case, but with PBR it's basically the opposite. Check out this page :)http://artisaverb.info/PBT.html
  • Pedro Amorim
    Yeah, it's the other way arround :)
  • islipaway
    Offline / Send Message
    islipaway polycounter lvl 10
    Hey I used to fix these things, a quick couple of points I noticed for accuracy.

nj2t71G.jpg

The part highlighted in green would be painted metal or bare metal rather than plastic as it covers the exhaust, good place to put some marks from fumes.

The part with the red lines is the air filter cover, there should be some sort of join here, vertical or horizontal (check your reference?) to allow access to the filter. This part doesn't seem to make sense to me which suggests perhaps you've mixed references? It looks a bit like a fuel tank rather than an air filter but you have the fuel tank on the red part. the little screws on the top of the black part are used to remove the filter cover but the shape is typically more square than this.
  • GOBEE
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    The lighting is really dark. Also the grunge is all over the place. Try to concentrate it in areas where it will build up.
  • Joltya
    Offline / Send Message
    komaokc wrote: »
    That used to be the case, but with PBR it's basically the opposite. Check out this page :)http://artisaverb.info/PBT.html
    Yeah, it's the other way arround :)

Wow, okay I sure feel stupid now. But I now I feel like it finally all makes sense. Thanks a lot, I'll fix that as soon as I can!

islipaway wrote: »
    Hey I used to fix these things, a quick couple of points I noticed for accuracy.

The part highlighted in green would be painted metal or bare metal rather than plastic as it covers the exhaust, good place to put some marks from fumes.

The part with the red lines is the air filter cover, there should be some sort of join here, vertical or horizontal (check your reference?) to allow access to the filter. This part doesn't seem to make sense to me which suggests perhaps you've mixed references? It looks a bit like a fuel tank rather than an air filter but you have the fuel tank on the red part. the little screws on the top of the black part are used to remove the filter cover but the shape is typically more square than this.

Yeah, the whole black box part was probably the hardest part of modeling the piece, since I never really had any decent reference shots of what goes on underneath. I THINK the red part actually extends underneath it and that is where the fuel is held, and that just kind of sits on top of it.
    GOBEE wrote: »
    The lighting is really dark. Also the grunge is all over the place. Try to concentrate it in areas where it will build up.

I'll work on the lighting. I know the dirt is a bit too much right now, but I have been focusing on where it would show up. I just need to adjust the curves to pull it back some and hopefully it will look better.
  • Joltya
    Offline / Send Message
    Aight, so I think I'm pretty much done now. I pulled back on the dirt, fixed the lighting, and finalized some of the modeling that was missing from the previous shots. There was talk of rust earlier, but honestly I think I'm pretty satisfied with it right now unless someone points out some areas I can improve.

32UH0cU.jpg
    dn5L1uX.jpg
    0ECCVxy.jpg
  • luge
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    its looking good. I'd suggest putting some more wear on your whels and tone them down in specularity a little. Also, you should add some more paint wear around the top vents and add more around the parts of metal that are next to each other, after all, it is vibrating which will cause some rubbing and wear.
  • Joltya
    Offline / Send Message
    Added some stickers and refined some of the render. I think it's finally done now.

F6j0aUA.jpg
    259gq0d.jpg
    EKVOMjc.jpg