Home Technical Talk

Max 2012 crash opening compact material editor

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
tynew polycounter lvl 9
Hi guys,

This is an incredibly frustrating problem for me. Sometimes it crashes, sometimes it doesn't on the opening. So it could crash the first time opening it or the 3rd time etc. It crashes to desktop without showing any errors whatsoever. The problem did not occur to me until I think after I tried out Xoulil's viewport 2.0 shader.

I did a fresh re install of max and still receiving the same problem. Funny thing is it doesn't crash if I'm using slate editor. I googled the issue, a few others having the same problem but no definite answers. I tried also setting the assign renderer material slot to something besides default scaline but that didn't help. Switching back and forth also between nitrous and direct3D does not help.

Anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    Have you deleted your user files before you reinstalled it?
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Where can I find my user files? I removed everything related to max following this:
    http://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-result/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-perform-a-clean-uninstall-of-an-Autodesk-product.html

As a matter of fact this is ridiculous, it is also happening in Max 2014!
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    Ahh nevermind, you already removed them. These where als the user files.
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for replying anyway .Wiki.

It's strange, I reformatted my entire hard drive and a fresh install with Max + SP/hotfixes and I'm still getting this issue.
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    Maybe its a problem with your graphics driver? Have you installed the same driver like before I tried a different one?
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Good suggestion, I tried a few different drivers. It didn't solve the problem though :(
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Ha! Everything seems to be in order right? :) This is with a fresh install of Max 2012 + SP2/Hotfixes + 3dsclean. I tried re installing it again today. Same issue. You may be right though about me not ridding some user files or something. If I recall when I reformatted my entire Hard drive I was able to spam my compact material editor just fine.

It must not be the scripts I'm using. As this happens with Max 2014 also. It's kind of making work unbearable altogether, especially trying to do freelance.
    ======================================
    -D:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2012
    -D:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2012\scripts
    -D:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2012\3DSclean\scripts\startup
    -D:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2012\3DSclean\scripts_evaluated
    -D:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2012\3DSclean\scripts
    -D:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2012\3DSclean\scripts_startup
    -D:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2012\3DSclean\plugcfg
    Tynew kisses girls on the butt
    OK
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Tynew: That script is not run after a fresh install.
    Wait, how am I meant to run that script without Max?

I did delete those directories after uninstalling. I followed that Autodesk link posted above. The problem still persists even without 3dsclean and the max fixes.

As much as I love Max this bug alone makes me consider dropping it for something else, the compact editor seems much more efficient.
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Oh I was a little confused with your wording there. I followed all of your steps and it unfortunately has not solved the issue. Ran script:
    -C\Users\Tyler\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2012 - 64bit\enu\
    -D\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2012\scripts
    -D\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2012\scripts\startup
    -C\Users\Tyler\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2012 - 64bit\enu\UI\usermacros
    -C\Users\Tyler\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2012 - 64bit\enu\scripts
    -C\Users\Tyler\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2012 - 64bit\enu\scripts\startup
    -C\Users\Tyler\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2012 - 64bit\enu\plugcfg
    Tynew kisses girls on the butt
    OK
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Yes it must be an external problem I guess. I will probably just have to put up with the slate editor for a couple of years until I build a new system. Thanks for trying to help anyway!
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    I agree, I had been using Max just fine since 2011 and started getting this problem the last couple of months!
  • q12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    q12
    Kiss the feet of Q12  !!!  I had this problem for awile and it was very frustrating.
    I searched a lot and find something intriguing here at this post: http://www.actualtools.com/forum/read.php?FID=10&TID=3230
    So, that guy is the actual hero but I am the second one because I take the time to update a couple of forum threads with this specific problem.

This is the solution :
    I do have a second monitor !!!! And also I have installed the "actual multiple monitors" software.
    When you open 3dsmax, press once the "M" key to bring up the material editor.
    Go to your running "actual multiple monitors" or whatever multi monitor software you have and [pause] it from it's menu.
    Then, back in 3dsmax, press M again to close the material editor window.
    From now on, every time you will open/close that window, the error will not appear anymore.
    (now you can [start] multimonitor).

But! It is a temporarry solution because it is linked to the running instance of 3dsmax.
    In other words, if you restart 3dsmax, you must pause that thing again.