Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Spaceship Interior

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
atomander polycounter lvl 7
Hey everyone, I've been trying to work a bit on creating realistic modular environment pieces. I'm starting off with the environment art rite of passage, a sci fi corridor, though I hope to expand my modular kit to include some more open areas of the space ship. This is the first render I've taken in Unity. Any feedback on how to push this or what needs fixing will be appreciated!

[IMG][/img]Screenshot2014-03-26at125744AM_zps3c149400.png

Replies

• LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Not a bad start. I feel that you could push the secular and gloss to give a better feel of material. At the moment it's all very even, only the floor panels actually feel metal.
  • silvershrimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Second that. Material definition is weak, you need some aspect of illumination from the lights as well.
  • atomander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ LMP + silvershrimp

Thanks for the feedback. I'll do some research on materials in unity, and try to get some better material definition out of the spec.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    agreed with material definition needs some aid

and the shape of the doorways are very strange, bump into them and you can take out someones knee :P
  • atomander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed. Its not very apparent yet, but as I expand my assets out, I want to incorporate a few elements of Islamic architecture (in this case, the shape of the doorway). Eventually I would like to create a bit of environment backstory about a family of Saudi Arabian space traders.
  • atomander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tweaked some of the lighting settings, to try to pump a little more reflectivity out of the metals and adding the wall sconces. If anyone has some good pointers or good information resources for getting nice metallic materials in Unity, I would be super grateful. My searches haven't turned up much yet.

hACDGA6.png

I'm also putting together a little mood board that I through together for the environment I want to work towards, a sci-fi environment with a distinct lived-in feel.

vWLi4CN.jpg

Thanks again for the responses. I've been reading the forums for awhile now, but an infrequent poster.
  • tierzilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tierzilla polycounter lvl 9
    Hey atomander , looking good , the lights still need some tweekings , i would use the ones on the floor , the doorway and the wall lamps doesnt match the scene all the other assets/walls have 45º angles and this two have rounded shapes, maybe adding more rounded shapes. more modular walls would be nice too.
    sorry for the shitty paintover.
    qiI8jAI.png
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    atomander wrote: »
    I want to incorporate a few elements of Islamic architecture (in this case, the shape of the doorway).

but generally those doors are taller no? or at least the round top is way higher up so the sharp corner is above head level, which probably wouldn't work so well in this project

i get what you are saying, just doesn't look very practical in this situation
  • atomander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @tierzilla I like the paintover! I agree, I think the ground lighting directs the focus in the scene better. I feel like I will have to create a few more wall types to break up the repetition in the wall details with the added lighting there.

@CandyStripes05 Maybe I'll try to out a few more concepts for the door/lights with shapes that would keep the angular nature. I am eventually planning on adding a larger room in the back; Maybe I can find some ways to incorporate more elements.

Other question for anyone: Is Unity a good choice for what are essentially just beauty shots? Would it be worth jumping into UDK or Cryengine for the fancier shaders?
  • tierzilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tierzilla polycounter lvl 9
    for unity you can use shaderforge for more fancy shaders , i prefer unreal/cryengine for environments since they are free and give you cool shadows , in unity is only for pro version =/
  • atomander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello folks, here's an newer image of my environment. I've tried to add a bit more variety in the modular pieces for the hallway, and played with the lighting a little.

GsOEVn4.png

I'm still not entirely happy with the materials, and will be looking into shader forge soon. Again, loving all of your feedback, its very helpful.