Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Legend of Zelda - Stylized Link

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Autocon polycounter lvl 15
I wanted to make a little stylized Link for a while and decided to start working on him and slowly chip away. Its not based off any specific concept, more just an amalgamation of a lot of different things and making it up as I go. (which is a receipt for disaster haha)

Now I have never really done a character or used zbrush that much so don't hesitate to rip anything apart. I am really blindly going at this and could use any and all feedback possible :)

I started out with a quick blockout of things in Maya to get the big shapes in there.

linkMayaBlockout_zpse1909510.jpg

Took him in zbrush and started getting the forms I wanted for things like his face (which im thinking mostly round/simple/kinda baby faced?) hair which I started from cube and his tunic. Was trying out cloth folds last night.

linkZbrush_zps5fb7f688.jpg

Thanks for looking and don't hesitate to be brutally honest :)

-Anthony

Replies

• LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Honestly, it's like... Baby Link. If you could make the face cuter and less, honestly, it's kind of creepy right now. I would make the ears smaller.

The cloth looks pretty nice.
  • jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jacob07777 polycounter lvl 14
    Hey Anthony it's good to see you trying out Zbrush a bit more!

As a very first though, I would recommend moving his belt up a bit more. With it being so low, it either makes him look like he is wearing a womans dress or he is a young kid trying to wear clothes that are too big for him and are sagging way too much. I found this nice little drawing online to help give some better proportions to shoot for with anatomy and placement of the belt, etc.
    http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/3a/86/29/3a8629d9b3501f68971abc1447b08c91.jpg

Also maybe shrink the size of the hair a bit? I think the dress looking clothes and the hair are starting to make him look more like a young girl than link. Continue looking at some reference and keep on going with it :) looking forward to seeing some more progress.
  • Pegbird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pegbird polycounter lvl 5
    His head is rather small. There is an extreme gap between his hair and his forehead. I like the idea that his hat are is too big for him though, that is quite cool.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Just in case this isn't clear, but this is suppose to be young Link, when he is a kid and such. Kinda like in the vein of Wind Waker and not older Link from Ocarina. Just wanted to mention that in case it wasn't obvious :)

@Jacob - thanks for the feedback Jacob! I will def mess around with his belt. I love that concept you linked and see exactly what you mean by moving it up. Really cool little doodle I'm gonna steal from haha.

@Pegbird - Yeah he dose have a huge gap between his eyes and his hair. The super big forehead was intentional. But I can always see what it looks like without such a big gap.

@ESFGames - I don't sculpt things all that often. At work I rarely find a need to do it at all as I am not making 1 to 1 props. So I am just trying to get more practice in now :)

@LMP - In what way do you feel his face looks creepy/could be cuter? What about it is giving you a creepy vibe?
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    You could try pushing it further in the cuter direction if you're going for young link. I think mostly bigger eyes and chubbier cheeks would help.

Like this mixed with the image jacob linked.
    http://femrage.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/1739wir_videogame_vanellope.jpeg
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    The tiny beed eyes and huge ears make him kind of creepy
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Paintover time! I love Link.

autocon_link_po.png