Home Technical Talk

Maya - Materials change when merging

I have a problem I can't understand.

When I merge my object in Maya to create one "hut" model, the look of the textures changes on some part. The become lighter and look differnt. (on the part with the alpha material - the overhang. the second pic is before the merge).

Why does that happen? Is it something to do with the grouping/hierarchie, or does it have to do with the materials (all Phong, 1 masked, the others with Specular, Diffuse + Normal Map).

And more important: HOW CAN I FIX THIS °°?

I'd really appreciate your input here. Have you ever had this problem or is it just me (again ^^). This is Maya 2014, 64 bit, btw.

Replies

• MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    transparent textures display differently based on whether mesh is combined or separate.

they render better when separate. could be something to do with alpha sorting or depth sorting.

maya2014 has a dx11 shader with better alpha sorting, try using that. no other fix that i know of.
  • Sinking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well this is a model for CrySDK, so I guess I'll have to see if the same problem occurs there. I'm glad it's only a display thing, I thought the gamma of the texture had changed or some other funky stuff.

Generally, how would I proceed with such overhangs? I doubt it makes sense to save them separately and fumble then onto the model in Cryeditor. It's only a prototype asset, so the quality doesn't matter, but the workflow Maya -> Cryengine has to ...work.

How do you other people out there save something like this?
  • joannajamrozy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, what I am doing is keeping parts separate. So objects sharing the same color map I am keeping together (combined). And when you ready to export just select all and export as obj or fbx. You don't have to combine everything to put it to the game just select everything and export.
  • joannajamrozy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello you don't have to combine everything before you are exporting any model. Keep together part when they are sharing the same color map. And when you are ready to export just select everything (don't combine) and export as a obj ore fbx. Your game engine will allow you to assign maps according to the grouping you have done in 3D software. I hope it helps.
  • joannajamrozy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sinking wrote: »
    I have a problem I can't understand.

When I merge my object in Maya to create one "hut" model, the look of the textures changes on some part. The become lighter and look differnt. (on the part with the alpha material - the overhang. the second pic is before the merge).

Why does that happen? Is it something to do with the grouping/hierarchie, or does it have to do with the materials (all Phong, 1 masked, the others with Specular, Diffuse + Normal Map).

And more important: HOW CAN I FIX THIS °°?

I'd really appreciate your input here. Have you ever had this problem or is it just me (again ^^). This is Maya 2014, 64 bit, btw.
    Hello you don't have to combine everything before you are exporting any model. Keep together part when they are sharing the same color map. And when you are ready to export just select everything (don't combine) and export as a obj ore fbx. Your game engine will allow you to assign maps according to the grouping you have done in 3D software. I hope it helps.