Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Beast Slayer

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Francois_K interpolator
So... I've been working on something for a while now. I'm liking the way it's turning out so far , but I want to measure myself on AAA standards and I can't do that alone so I was wondering if you lovely bunch could give me some pointers. On just about anything. Also because I usually don't get any critique so I just want it all to hit me at once so I can be upset and then go oh yeah that makes sense. If that makes sense.

BwGq.jpg

NTwa.jpg

fqbh.jpg

I think the shoulders need some work , the Elbow needs to show properly , the leg muscles.. basically the anatomy has to show better. Also the armor is a bit illogical but I guess it looks cool-ish? But I think there's a fine line between design making sense and it just being exaggerated. I wanted to go for a fantasy style...

...so yeah.

Replies

• Daew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daew polycounter lvl 9
    Hey man,
    So I hope some my scribbles can be of use.
    I would suggest reading some stuff by Paul Richards, he's one of my favourite concept artists.
    http://www.autodestruct.com/
    careful there is a quite a bit of NSFW material

Francois_K_Daewpaintover_zps9f89403a.jpg

edit: gah noticed a typo.."shape" regarding the head part...
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    I think the pecs could be quite a bit wider and the abs could be a little bit wider. The details are generally pretty good, but you should go through and measure out all your proportions. There are a lot of small things that are off.
  • Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    @Daew wow thanks i did not expect this. So the basic principle is to make shapes interesting and make them more asymetrical because symmetry is boring I take it and that the pointy bits should point somewhere useful than into oblivion. I already learnt so much from that picture , thank you.

@Jed Yeah I see what you mean with the pecs and the abs , now that you mentioned it it does look a bit odd.

I'll start making it better now.
  • Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    Adjusted some stuff. Personally I like the shoulders' horns so I will leave them like they are , I don't know exactly what do to there anyway to be honest.

DBod.jpg
    gqF2.jpg
    U6yM.jpg
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    Also is it just me or is he too short? Perhaps lengthen the legs?
    Are you using different subtools for the body? because it seems as though you aren't.
    If you aren't have the arms, legs, feet, hands as the head as separate subtools; you can add more detail and it will save you quite a bit of time
  • Daew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daew polycounter lvl 9
    When making a character i think it's very important to consider the silhouette. Atm I don't think his helmet's silhouette is appealing and the asymmetry is not working that well. also there is a tangent at his horns.
    what i would suggest is look at pictures of animals that have horns or characters that have horns and see what you can do with that.

Asymmetry is great but symmetry is great as well.
    It's really a balance of the two. If you have too much asymmetry your character doesn't look like it belongs to itself but if you have too much symmetry your character becomes monotonous.

oh and please just remember i'm no expert on these things
    I'm only giving suggestions and my personal thoughts, there are no rules in artses :P

quick note. Ravenslayer talks about it really well in this video. Look at how few polygons he uses to stretch and find the shapes.

ravenslayer sculpting video;
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdOyMyQ4SUA"]Disney Lionking Pumba Tribute with Audio commentary - YouTube[/ame]

good luck :)
  • Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    QSyA.jpg
    yZhk.jpg
    C6W1.jpg

I overdid it with the horns previously. The arms just look short because in the front view you can't really see that they're angled but they are in the correct length I've checked. I'm terrible at the design of the helmet so I'll start looking for some more inspiration over the week to make the back of the helmet better.
  • Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    Removed the shoulder plates , I kept looking at the silhoutte , tried it out to maybe only have one shoulder plate , didn't look too good and made no sense whatsoever. I think I'll try to make him more appealing in anatomy and try to chisel out some asymetry that way with some scars or something along those lines.

*Gathers reference*

zsmR.jpg
    IKPh.jpg
    BSHd.jpg
  • ducckz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ducckz polycounter lvl 6
    not a character artist so cant help with the critique but really digging the new helmet!
  • Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    @ducckz thanks man! I'm really glad you like it!

Updated a few tiny bits , added some scars and lips , added some detail to the fingers... Gonna have to clean up the axe now , the cloth , the helmet and the wristbands , maybe I'll add some shoes to him in maya. I'm hoping to polypaint this week so that'll be great fun.

Critique is always welcome.

h1M0.jpg
    c5jf.jpg
    6RT7.jpg
  • Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    Update: Started texturing a bit , detailing the helmet and texturing the helmet. Adding tiny bits of colour on the guy , reworking the axe a bit which I haven't started detailing properly yet. I still don't know about my colour palette it just seems so...Brown. The only thing that stands out is the helmet , I suppose that is the focal point ... but I'm a bit clueless when it comes to this.

Kik1.jpg
    srfy.jpg
    Sy3R.jpg
    bUCv.jpg
    YpXK.jpg
    j9tU.jpg