Home Unreal Engine

Problems with capturing a cubemap in small scale areas

grand marshal polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Obscura grand marshal polycounter
Hi! We was trying to use image based lighting in small scale closed areas (rooms, and even a cornell box) and we couldn't get a good cubemap capture. If we drag out the scenecapture from the closed area, it works good, but if its inside the area, the most of the capture is black. The far plane is on 99999999 and the near is on 1.

I didn't attach image because I described all the happenings.

Any ideas?

Replies

• passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Obscura wrote: »
    Hi! We was trying to use image based lighting in small scale closed areas (rooms, and even a cornell box) and we couldn't get a good cubemap capture. If we drag out the scenecapture from the closed area, it works good, but if its inside the area, the most of the capture is black. The far plane is on 99999999 and the near is on 1.

I didn't attach image because I described all the happenings.

Any ideas?

this is a glitch in dx11 mode, switch to dx9 mode to do your cubemap captures. Dx9 mode with the SceneCaptureCubeMapActor should work fine for you.

After you baked your render texture into a static texture, you can go back to dx11 mode if you need it.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ohh. Thats awesome and sucks at the same time. Thank you very much!! I check it now, and I'll write what happened.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It worked, but other issues appeared. Thanks you much!
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what other issues?
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I used material instances on the cornel box. First, I used one mesh for the cornell box, and one mat (diffuse/emissive mask in one texture, shader map - reflectivity, glossines and ao in an another texture, and a normalmap in a third texture) After I applied the new cubemap, all the material instances forgot to use the glossiness for the ambient cubemap (cubemap for the ambient color). All the reflections that I used previously for the ambient color, are turned 100% sharp. I tested this shader in an another scene earlier, and it worked good. An another issue is that the cubemap is moving with the camera. I know how to fix this, so this isn't a real issue. The real problem are the previously mentioned things. I really don't know yet whats the problem with the material. All the parameters are good, and the switch parameters too, but the "illumination" multipler and the glossiness(for the ambient cube) acts weird in the material instances. They are not changing, doesn't matter what number I type in.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What did you put in the shader for the cube texture, the render texture, or a static texture?
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The static texture, and I updated it.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried to make the cubemap not follow the camera, but it wasn't successful. I could change the size of it, but how could I control the position of it?

I still trying to lit a cornell box. A few planar captures would be better?