Home Technical Talk

Troubleshooting Trees for CryEngine

narticus
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
narticus polycounter lvl 7
Hopefully others can post with questions regarding trees in this thread.

I followed this 3dmotive tutorial for creating trees: https://www.3dmotive.com/f102101

Except mine is an evergreen and I want to bring it into CryEngine.

In CryEngine's vegetation budgets (http://freesdk.crydev.net/display/SDKDOC3/Vegetation+Budgets) I noticed a high polycount for a large tree is 2000. Right now, mine is almost at 2000, but I've only populated half of the tree with branches. I also feel like the tree looks sparse and may not translate well.

Can anyone give me some advice? Should I start over and create a better (denser) material for the twigs? Maybe just keep going and use a 4-5000 poly tree?

Some screenshots below:

The half finished tree on the right:
ja3Oxa1.jpg

Closeup of tree:
MIvz3uH.jpg

Branches and twigs:
8M0bPXL.jpg

Closeup of twigs with texture:
DQXxQuk.jpg

Twigs displaying edges:
tkeMoFA.jpg

Replies

• ed_3D
    I would say don't worry about it too much and don't follow those budgets on CryEngine docs as they seem quite outdated... It depends on your game/level and the type of tree as well (e.g. a large hero tree or something simple that will be repeated a lot), but I think 5-10k tris is perfectly fine for the highest lod. Quite a lot of large trees in Crysis 3 appear to be around 10k tris or more, and if I'm not wrong, BF4 veggie artist mentioned that their trees had a similar budget as well :)

You can also always just bring the tree into the engine and do some tests to see if it runs well or not
  • narticus
    Offline / Send Message
    narticus polycounter lvl 7
    Ok, good to hear the cryengine docs are dated. I kinda thought that seemed low.

How do you know the polycount of the trees in Crysis 3? Just a guess based on viewing them?
  • ed_3D
    narticus wrote: »
    Ok, good to hear the cryengine docs are dated. I kinda thought that seemed low.

How do you know the polycount of the trees in Crysis 3? Just a guess based on viewing them?
    I like to unpack assets from games and snoop around to understand how they do things. I think it's a good way to learn. I also think it might be illegal, so now the internet police will get me

Oh-you-Dog.jpg
  • leleuxart
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    The documentation at freesdk.crydev.net is outdated. A lot of that stuff is from Crysis 2 I think. Although they haven't updated all areas of the documentation, the new stuff for CRYENGINE 3.5 and above is at docs.cryengine.com

But reference this BF4 thread
    Thanks! Well they vary from 4-8k tris on LOD 0 depending on what kind of tree it is think The avarage tree is around 6k and its The stem and branches(opaque surfaces)that take up most of it.