Home Unreal Engine

Losing vertex paint data

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Harbinger polycounter lvl 8
I've been running into some odd problems losing my vertex colors on meshes that I'm painting. After painting a mesh, sometimes I'll lose all of the data I just painted. It's pretty frustrating, as I'm painting four channels of data on large mesh assets.

I'm painting at the instance level, not on the mesh asset itself. Also, my meshes are a bit more dense than normal, ~11k triangles.

Has anybody seen this behavior before? Paint a bunch of colors, close the tool, and have your vertex colors reset/lost. I haven't managed to find a way to reliably repro the issue.

Replies

• r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    the high vertex count could be blowing the max vertex limit on the mesh. vert count + uv channel(s) + 4 channels of vert data is a lot to store. maybe try decimating the mesh by half and see if you still have the problem? I think the max vert count per mesh is around 65K.
  • Harbinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply r4ptur3. I've been keeping an eye on the Instance Vertex Colors count in the mesh paint tool and I'm under 65k, but that does sound like a nice round power of 2 limit.

I think I might have solved it, unless I'm imagining things, but I think I might be an idiot. I think I had two instances of the mesh on top of each other. What's odd is that I haven't seen any other artifacts like z-fighting or anything else I'd expect.

I'll keep painting and see what happens and if I can repro it. I'll try decimating a version too just for testing.
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    ah, haha! that'd do it :P
  • Harbinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So far so good. I broke the meshes down into smaller pieces for better occlusion culling anyway. I feel like a putz :)