Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Doom 3 Fan Art

grand marshal polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Obscura grand marshal polycounter
Hello everybody! After I played Doom 3 again in this month, I decided to recreate a little environment from it, because I really like the atmosphere and the designs of it.

It will be the place where you start the game, because this is where I was really amazed when I played it first, after it came out. Maybe it will spread out to a few starting hallways too, but I haven't decided yet. It also depends on the amount of the free time that I can get.

Here are some of the first references from the game:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/c0wr17ekzjcjele/xyzqEWp6dh

I'm planning to make it really similar, and I will make just really small changes. The biggest difference will be in the render quality...
It will be in UDK, and will use a mix of image based and real time lighting.

Here is the first finished asset:

tsk7.jpg

The next piece will be the main floor panel.

Updates will come as I will have get free time, but I think once a week.

Replies

• Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm a little disappointed. Is it this terrible?
  • 3dcaspar
    Offline / Send Message
    3dcaspar polycounter lvl 10
    Nope. It looks really nice instead ;)
    There is just one thing which bothers me a bit:
    The render seems a bit too noisy in my opinion.

But besides this, it looks really good!
  • Dimfist
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    Can you show us some wires? Also I'd add some wear and tear to spice it up :D
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah thanks guys!

3dcaspar - maybe its the chromatic abbertion and the film grain pp. We'll see how it looks when I'll have more pieces. If it will be still noisy, i'll tone it down. But yeah the grain is maybe a little too much.

Dimfist - Its a plane with parallax :) I'll get back to the textures after I placed a few things together, but you are right, it should have a little more wear but I don't want too much. I will show the wireframe of the hps when I get time.
  • Dimfist
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    wow the height map really makes it look like more geo!
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so here are some screenshots from the highpoly meshes, and the baked floor (just height,normal, and ao yet)

I modeled everything in on the highpolies because the floating geos wouldn't work when baking a heightmap, just if I bake them out separately and then adjust in PS, but I didn't want this, and it was a good modeling practice.
    80b9.jpg
    yr1o.jpg

And here is the floor in udk:
    o11r.jpg

I will need to make changes in the shader, because the normalmap compression is killing me. I have the heightmaps in the alpha channel of the normalmaps, so the compression setting is tc_normalmap_alpha, but this gives the same compressed look as the tc_normalmap, and the normalmap_uncompressed doesn't have alpha... So I will move my heightmaps to the "shadermap"'s alpha channel. This map contains the reflectivity/glossiness/ao and the heightmap when I place them here.
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    A new piece.
    p5wq.jpg
    Looks like I will go mostly with tileable textures. I made the changes in the shader and the normalmaps looks better, but still not looks 100% uncompressed... I hope that the textures will wash this out.
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    More...
    rrwt.jpg
    2o4f.jpg
    I will fix the scale later. Just wanted to see how these looks together :)
    I'll make the doorframe next time.
  • Mr Significant
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Significant polycounter lvl 11
    Subbed! looking forward to it!
  • snake85027
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    After looking at the door some more the only gripe for me is that sheet metal is over used. I think if you changed the metal overlay on the sides with something different to break it up it would look better. other than that I think it looks great. I do have a question though, are you making a low poly version?
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi snake! The texture on the door isn't the final. I will add rust, wear, and dirts later. To answer to your question, everything that you can see on the last two pictures are lowpoly meshes (mostly planes), and I use POM on them, and this gives the very cool highpoly look illusion.
  • Mr Smo
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18
    looking great, I think the floor plates could be a bit smaller. your high polys are also nicely built for baking!
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo - Thanks! This isn't the final scale. First I want to bake down everything, and then I'll lay out the scene with the final meshes. At the moment I'm just testing the textures in the engine.

Here is a small update. I made a crate and the parallax still works surprisingly good on this too :)
    These are just some basic colors, and not the final texture!

kesy.jpg
  • Stirls
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    I love DOOM, but I think I love this more! Fantastic work so far, man. Something so attractive about your renders!

My only suggestion is to add some variation to the crates, perhaps an open version? It might be cool to see what they look like inside.
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls - Thanks! I will make two more types of crates, and maybe an open version too, but this depends on my free time.
    For the render:
    I use real time lighting/shadows + slight skylight + image based lighting + fading ao (real time) + post processes

So. Here is the last new piece for this week, and I think I will come back on the next weekend, because I start working in a factory.....And I will have time only at the weekends.
    cu8i.jpg

See you guys soon, thank you all for the feedbacks!
  • CougarJo
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo polycounter lvl 6
    I love those high-poly shots of the wall and floor :D
    Good work, looking forward to the end :D
  • ZombieWells
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieWells polycounter lvl 12
    Looking at you hi poly stuff... ahhh it seems like your cutting in and turbo smoothing a lot of geo here. That door should be like 95% med poly, and all that nut/bolts detail should be floaters, (as far as production art goes). Crazy bump your Height map. Also, why are you using a height map? The normals should be able to take care everything... not worth it. So as an example I spent around an hour or less making that door, (I really don't want to spend my Sunday modeling the whole thing or making it match yours... even cleaning it up, just an example) Cutting in all that stuff and turbo smoothing it had to have taken you a day or so, when this is around an hour... two hours of work. Also you can't even tell its not high poly.

2l8n.jpg
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    I should say thanks for taking your time to model this, but looks like you also not reading the posts, just viewing the pictures. I use parallax occlusion mapping on everything, and this is why I need the heightmaps, and in this case, the floating pieces doesn't work. And, I don't want take time with fixing the shadows under the floating elements on my ao bakes. The "medpoly" wouldn't give nice edge smoothness, especially at this resolution. I really don't want to see hard edges on a normalmapped plane. This is fan art, it can take any amount of time, there is no deadline, just fun, practicing,etc.

How you say, don't make highpoly meshes because it takes too much time, and just make medpoly (that could be the actual in game mesh nowadays).

There are reasons behind how I make things, and I know what I'm doing. I know about that I could use floating geometries, but not in this case.
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    If it's all going on a plane, why even bother with geo for the small stuff? Couldn't you make a heightmap based off of simple geo, paint in the bolts in maybe 5 minutes, and derive the normals off of that?

It seems like you're making things overly complex for no real reason.
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Now I have a question. Every guy who model in some bolts gets this, or it happens just with me? I know about alternative methods, but I didn't want to mess with painting, going to xnormal, back to ps etc. Also, I wanted to have some nice highpoly models in my portfolio. If a professional from here would have model them in, everybody would say whoo whaaa, and when I make a complex model, I get questions like why.
  • ZombieWells
    Offline / Send Message
    Right, So... your door is going to look a whole better if you just bumped out the geo, (made a low poly for it) you get betting lighting, and its not going to fall apart if you get too close to it, (I know its fan art).

I use parallax occlusion mapping on everything- no you shouldn't. Just on flat tiled textures.

the floating pieces doesn't work- do this, it takes two seconds. Just make a color map in max based off your floaters, (you should be doing this anyway... so no extra steps here). http://www.simonfuchs.net/folio/tut02_pom.htm

shadows under the floating elements- One: it takes a whole lot more time to model in your floaters than it does to paint them out. Two: you can bake your AO using scanline with light tracer turned on and you won't get float errors. Three: you could also just slop cut into the mesh and stick the floaters in that, now you have no shadow.

The "medpoly" wouldn't give nice edge smoothness- it works just fine, use smoothing groups tweaks if it worries you that much. I use it all the time, at upwards of 4096, I don't really see a huge difference... and neither does anyone else. I can also tell you that door ref is probably all medpoly.

I wanted to have some nice highpoly models in my portfolio- half of my portfolio is med poly floater stuff.

If a professional- I can think of a few guys that might want to show off their skills, and they are just, One: making the model as it was constructed exactly, (which your not doing) or Two: they are showing off Hardsurface molded meshes with complex shapes which are hard as hell to cut into, not cutting into a flat sheet... Seeing that what your doing is cutting in super simple shapes unnecessarily into your mesh, which just looks painful, is a waste of time, making your mesh heavy, and nonadjustable, (I want to make my holes bigger... I can just select my instant floater and scale up... or I can select every hole I cut into my mesh and their edges, then scale up my edges locally, which takes much more time)

In any case, I just told you how to solve your float problems with your dis, and your ao. Medpoly works just fine, and renders out just fine too... (if I didn't tell you that door was medpoly you would have never known). Pros get a pat on the back for killing real word stuff, or making sick shapes that very few people can... not cutting in floaters.

I think your models are cool man, I am just letting you know that there are faster ways of going about doing this. If your working that factory job then your free time is limited... Just trying to help. Also I wouldn't comment if I didn't think you could pull off something great!
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieWells :

Parallax - I know the limitations of it. If you have white on your heightmap, where the uv seams are, then it works on non planar objects too (in the case you have parallax that works inwards). I tried it out and used it on the crate, and it totally works, you just need to make the lp geo really close to the hp along the uv seams.

However I understand your reasonings, and I can agree with a few, I still want to go with highpoly meshes, because if it wouldn't be necessary, then we wouldn't see this much highpoly models here at pc. Almost everybody makes highpoly here who use normalmaps. And because I love making highpoly models, even if it takes time. If I will work somewhere where they will want medpoly, I will make them medpoly then.

Thanks anyways !

So after a week in this factory work, I can say this was the worst job that I ever had. I worked in an another factory earlier, but this was worse. 11 hours of standing is really exhausting, and you don't have energy for anything after arriving back to home. But luckily I got a new 3d related outwork from a museum(!!!), and I have to make an environment.
  • Sims_doc
    Offline / Send Message
    Sims_doc polycounter lvl 7
    that door is in the beginning of alpha labs if you want reference that shows it opening and closing..
  • Sims_doc
    Offline / Send Message
    Sims_doc polycounter lvl 7
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I was JUST playing Doom 3, and could only thing "Damn you Alpha Labs!"
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks sims!

So after a long break, here are some new stuff. Not too much, but I made a few textures and a few new models/normalmaps.I fixed the scale of the floor, and started making a better model for it. Still a lot to do/fix.
    zNWGcHn.jpg
    31IAUuB.jpg
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Resurrection time...Finally I had time to work on this again, and I took it to make new tileables, new models, and a new area. There are still many placeholders (like the door display texture on the information terminal) and missing stuff, but I decided to show the progress. The "textures" are just basic colors, they haven't got detailed yet. Here are 2 shots from the new area called departure lounge:
    toPXpQH.jpg
    F6qVBYU.jpg

And here is a little video from an animated material which will be used on the door's display, just with different texts on each of them.
    http://youtu.be/69NeH8hp7A4

A lot of things from the previous area are under repair, like I'm trying to make the rust on the wall look less repetative,modeling out the lp doors, and I'm still filling out the holes there too.

Hopefully I can show updates often again, and finish this in the near future :)
  • NomadSoul2501
    Offline / Send Message
    NomadSoul2501 polycounter lvl 10
    Loving this thread!
    I have to say this is the first time I see parallax actually work.
    Even in production games, the 'smeared' texture look makes it unappealing to me.
    Your art style however fits it like a glove.

I saw you already mentioned reworking the rust on that wall, good :)
    I was going to also suggest make the damage on that wall way less.
    Would it even be rusty? Maybe just do chipped paint, and there wouldn't be a lot of that happening on a wall anyway. Maybe try some oil leaks that steak down from the light/vent areas?

Can't wait to see more, keep'em coming :)
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    *NomadSoul - Glad you like it :) Yeah, I will go with a cleaner approach, so there will be probably chipped paint on those walls. I'll need to reduce the wear on those floor panels too.

Here is a small update for today. I made some lamps, ceiling normalmap, and some model blockouts(bridge, "arch")... The next step will be to make normals for the new models.
    4J71DAg.jpg
  • ZombieWells
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking cool man! Happy to see this back up and running ;)
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks James! Things slowly started taking shape. Weekend is coming so there will be a lot of time to work on this.

Here is a new door for today anyways. Doorframe need textures.
    DknmGCm.jpg
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Unfortunately I don't have as much free time as I wanted at this weekend, but here is a new piece...
    yx4Z1sw.jpg
    bLWNZqW.jpg
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Looking great, can't wait to see more updates!
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are a few updates. I mostly filled the holes in this room, and there are a few new normalmaps, and a few new uved meshes, however there are still many placeholders/untextured/missing things.
    8dPdSll.jpg
    igW4tUL.jpg
    GLq2jIu.jpg
    NDoWCiV.jpg
    aDwW7df.jpg
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally this beveled wall got its own normalmaps.
    1B3gy5T.jpg
  • ZombieWells
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude, this is really coming together ;) awesome! Keep going.
  • Mark Dygert
    This is shaping up great, do more!
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! I will make more, don't worry, hehe. I'm pretty much enjoying making this scene. Here are a few references from the places that I'm planning to make too for this environment:
    5BfxgJD.jpg
    kYSE73c.jpg
    0cAu3AA.jpg
    UTMRpRI.jpg

Maybe there will be the canteen and the toilet too once...
  • Zokk
    Offline / Send Message
    Zokk polycounter lvl 9
    Great work! I've always liked sci-fi architecture, and Doom 3 still has some of the coolest out there, in my opinion. Its architecture may be a little too "chunky" in some places for my personal taste, but it's still awesome.

Combine Doom 3's architecture with Dead Space's, and it'd be my favorite sci-fi architecture style of all time.
  • Xaragoth
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaragoth polycounter lvl 8
    Well, I could've done without someone bringing back terror from the back of my mind D:

Really cool stuff you got there, I like it :)
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Looks cool Obscura!
    Keep it comin!
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Its nice to see that people like what I'm doing :)

@Zokk - Sorry , but I think I'll stay with only the doom style :D

I detailed out a few wall textures today (d/s)
    7tReuhB.jpg
    q4sSMLt.jpg
    MDnm0c1.jpg
  • Zokk
    Offline / Send Message
    Zokk polycounter lvl 9
    Obscura wrote: »
    @Zokk - Sorry , but I think I'll stay with only the doom style :D

Sure- changing stuff around would be totally impractical and pointless at this stage. I meant it just as a comment, rather than suggestion. Meaning, if someone (any 3D artist) were to create a hybrid Doom 3/Dead Space art style, that would pretty much be guaranteed to be my favorite example of sci-fi architecture.
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    It comes together.
    Keep on doing this! :)
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, but I still have to make ten tons of things :)

As the departure lounge is nearly done, I'm started blocking out the reception room. This is how it looks so far. The half of the room is still missing but there are 2 office rooms on the 2 sides, but they will be closed, so you can just look in through the windows.
    mvNLbkQ.jpg
    VXFxuqU.jpg
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Mannnnnn, Doom 3 is a HardSurface treat.
  • Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    This is really coming together :)
    Nice work, and great to see you are sticking with it.

Also, I love the honest feedback from Zombiewells!!
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, a talk with James helped a lot to keep this alive and to get a better approach. Thanks from here once more! Now its growing a lot faster and I'm really excited to see the end of it as it takes shape as a whole level.

Side note - I switched to baked lighting a long time ago because the amount of the light sources didn't really allow real time lighting. There are massive amount of overlapping lights, and I have a immeasurably better framerate framerate with the lightmaps, bounce looks better and I don't need "cheatlights" anymore to give the bounce light look.
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    A few new textures again:
    eVy7xbJ.jpg
    4Wg2PJD.jpg
    KSm2eAG.jpg