Home Unreal Engine

Problem creating lightmaps in 3DS Max for UDK.

I have followed a few different tutorials. All show the same method of swapping to your second UV channel and resetting the UV's.

However, every time i swap to the second channel, I am prompted with a message asking me if i want to move or abandon changes. When I choose to abandon (as i don't wish to move my co-ordinates to the second channel), I am given a new UV layout.
I sort it and save it. Then when i move back to the first, it's not the layout i had left for the purpose of my diffuse map.

I know this is an extremely basic problem. I'm trying to work through these Noob errors so that i can get into the swing of working on my first UDK environment.

Also, I'm aware that you can generate a lightmap within UDK by using the generate unique UV's option. I just assumed that this would only be used with props that had simple map layout's?

(When i used this method for a tileable floor plane, The generated lightmap was flush within the UV window, with no padding at all, so it had a nice clean shadow running across it but showed up a fairly bad seam where it met the next tile...)

I appreciate any help that anyone can provide.

Lankus.

Replies

• PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    HItting reset/abandon doesn't completely rest your UV changes, it just changes from one map to the other. I always found that kinda confusing. Try working in multiple modifiers, one for your diff, one for lightmap UVs, if that helps.
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Thanks for the response.

Yeah, it's quite confusing. I just created a simple barrel. Unwrapped it in Channel 1. saved my co-ordinates and move to channel 2. Clicked abandon when prompted. reset the UV layout and sorted them out accordingly. I then didn't even bother going back to channel 1. I just finished the unwrap. collapsed the stack and exported. When i opened in UDK, it had 2 channels but only channel 2 (last to be edited) was in tact, the way i had unwrapped) Channel 1 (My intended diffuse layout) was a mess...

So confusing.

So separate UVW unwrap modifiers? I See... I'll give that a try.

Thanks again for the response dude :)

EDIT - Liam, your a genius dude ;) Using separate unwrap modifiers sorted it all. I never had this issue with other versions. When i was in 10 i don't think i even got a change/abandon prompt! :/

Anyways, thanks for the help. So simple. I think I've just been getting to frustrated with it. A fresh bit of insight was all i needed. All the best! :)
  • Teessider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teessider polycounter lvl 11
    Dunno if this is any interest to ya but I made a tutorial for my group project a while back on making Lightmaps for UDK:

https://vimeo.com/37906533

I need to re-shoot it as I cringe at it now but hopefully it might be of some use to ya :)
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    That is indeed a very helpful video dude. I flicked through it to the channel changing part and i noticed that you moved instead of abandoning. Then edited the layout for the purpose of it being a lightmap.

Cheers for the shout dude. Sorted in two ways :P
  • Sinking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The topic of this thread is misleading, and I've already ended up here a couple of times. Sure you are making lightmap UVS, but you aren't making lightmaps! The lightmap would be the actual baked product/images, based on your geometry.

You can bake lightmaps for Unity and basically any engine in any 3D software. I'd like to see you try that for UDK. I go mental over this! After what - ten years of working and improving the same engine, EPIC doesn't manage to get simple things right. Like, who decided to put the normal axis to -y in UDK. And why was that never changed? It would be okay, if the UDK lightmapper worked, but it is the shabbiest thing I have ever seen. Buy Beast? - I wish.

If anyone actually has info on baking lightmaps for UDK, I'd gladly see it! As far as I know it is impossible without a commercial license for UE3.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Sinking - There are many videos about this on youtube. Actually you just need to press the build lighting button to get the lightmaps baked btw.
  • Sinking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura wrote: »
    Sinking - There are many videos about this on youtube. Actually you just need to press the build lighting button to get the lightmaps baked btw.

I was refering to baking lightmaps manually, using Maya, instead of UDK. Then importing them and using them as replacement for the ugly UDK "low budget" lightmaps.
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    Sinking - you can bake lightmaps and import them in just like textures and then hook them up in a material using a TexCoords with UV Channel 1 (being your lightmap uv channel). Your gunna have a lot of material instances though, unless you handle this in code.