Home Contests & Challenges Archives

GOLF - Valley of the Par 6

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
anglorum polycounter lvl 6
Hey there guys. Re-posting this concept for my new lean on this contest. Before I had probably put too much emphasis on moving forward with an homage to an existing IP. (A rule I wasn't aware about as it's not mentioned on the contest page I don't think.)

BUT anyways. Fortunately, during the planning phase, I kept things more on the vague side, so I'm going to continue forward under the simple theme of an Ancient Chinese Valley filled with mystical hills and working class fields, as well as shrines and lanterns.

a2KwIXV.jpg

I'm aware a lot of people are doing this theme, but for some reason putt-putt and the far east seem to go hand in hand for us artists I guess. Either way, I do not feel deterred by this fact, and look forward to seeing what everyone else makes.

If you have any critiques or ideas for further development, feel free to let me know!

Replies

• LANKUS MAXIMUS
    I like it. My reason for the previous comment was just to point out that your a very skilled artist, with years as an experienced lead artist and a portfolio full of awesome, hand painted work. You could have chosen any theme but you have chosen the one theme that a few others have chosen. I really wanted to give this contest a go rather than just participate. So i kinda feel like I might have to think of another theme/design :P
  • anglorum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aw dude, don't do that! Your concept and stuff seems super solid! I'm not that much more experienced than anyone else participating, if at all. I wish everyone going forward with the asian theme the best of luck haha, and am excited to see all the different permutations of the development on that theme.
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    I think your work is awesome. Don't know how your not at Blizzard!

I guess I'll continue for the sake of fun and gaining experience. I was just put off because I was partially optimistic that I could possibly fill the Asian-themed slot in that top 9... Oh well :poly124:

All the best dude :)
  • anglorum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's my first progress shot of the course. Looks like the tech specs won't be a huge problem, or not nearly as much of one as I anticipated. Gonna be a lot of fun getting all of this set up in vforge, and now that I have the physics working with all the scripts, I'm actually enjoying a little bit of extra game design-ism on the side with this thing.

I got the whole thing blocked out, but I'll post WIPs as I complete each area. Starting with the beginning zone and a pic of the overhead view with a little better emphasis on the textures, as well as a lit view in the scene.

Also, vertex color supppoooort! Wooh! Gonna rock that mess.

YTAD8Wl.jpg
  • JamesR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn, that looks good. More texturing videos for me then...
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Nice dude :D
    It's almost a shame you have lost a lot of that perspective warping in the concept.
    I also think the grass could maybe do with a bit more shadowing, probably fake ao in the vertex colours would do it, matches the concept better and sits the wood in nicer :)

Looking forward to your updates
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Progressing nicely :)
  • Preston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Preston polycounter lvl 6
    OH MY GOD!! Great textures! Such a great level design!
  • Ewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just...yes. Textures are top notch! This might be the wrong place to ask but what exactly is vertex color and why is it exciting? I am finding that my models look a hot mess in vforge and I am confident it is because I know NOTHING about lighting...
  • dustykhan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dustykhan polycounter lvl 5
    Looking great, realy like the style your going for. Not sure its been mentioned before, great textures ;)
  • anglorum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there guys! Just wanted to throw a quick update up on the thread.

Been caught up with a number of contracts, but I'm really gonna give it my best shot to follow through with this thing! Finally got vertex colors working as well, so that's a pretty fun development as well :D

U1u17Vb.jpg

Those textures are 128X128, so I've got quite a bit of room left and I intend to use most of it to it's fullest.

Also thinking of messing around with the UI stuff, but we'll see, don't want to get ahead of myself.

C'n'C welcome.
  • Davidskiwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davidskiwan polycounter lvl 18
    Really lovely textures on this, the colours are all working rather well with each other!
  • anglorum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And yet more updates. Got a ways to go if I want to call this thing finished by the deadline. Boy it's sneaking up fast.

Thinking about possibly implementing a trigger box in that pool of water in the tower, so that when the ball enters, it shoots out of the flame (yet to be implimented particle effect) at the top of the tower.

Either way, I've still got a bit of stuff to do:

-The Gong
    -Shed
    -Barrel Mill
    -Giant Tree
    -Grave Markers
    -Giant Stone
    -Bridge
    -Final golden lion (hole)
    -Giant tortoise dude
    -Particle effects
    And I have to finish the skybox.

Either way, I've got my work cut out for me, but I'm excited to bring this thing through to the end!!!

Qw8NP58.jpg
  • anglorum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updates and updates and updates.

Guh, sleep time.

lI3rMEJ.jpg

-Giant Tree
    -Grave Markers
    -Giant Stone
    -Final golden lion (hole)
    -Giant tortoise dude
    -Particle effects
    -Skybox

OH, and the custom texture for the ball.
  • anglorum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everybody! Just finished my course and decided to make a lil video showing the playthrough process from start to finish. Figured I'd upload my beauty shots as well.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt-T3YY0m_4"]Valley Of The Par 6 - Polycount MiniGolf Contest Entry - YouTube[/ame]

VStC23E.jpg

Here's a bit of a close up on the turtle and a few other bits, since they don't get too much love in the video.

AZGIqC7.jpg

Technicals to come tomorrow! Thanks everyone for your help! Best of luck to everyone yet to finish.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    I love this entry, so much cool stuff going on.
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Nice :D the shot from the tower is really cool :)
    Congrats on finishin! :)

The only thing I can think is it might be worth darkening the inner part of the roof tiles ever so slightly as they look a bit flat atm, just to help seperate them out a little bit. (where they go under the one above) if you can.
  • Kel-Shaded
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kel-Shaded polycounter lvl 6
    Looking forward to the next post =D
    Looks really beautiful though dude
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    This has a little bit of everything in it. Really cool!
  • Amipor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mangled Poly polycounter lvl 18
    This is looking awesome! I would suggest you select all your mesh and change WeldingType to anti clockwise int he properties, this will help all the weird ball movement issues you are having!

-Ryan
  • anglorum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much for all your encouragement and feedback guys! I really appreciate it.

Also, strangely enough Ryan, I have done that haha, but I'm still having issues. Not sure if there some sort of re-export process or something I have to go through, if you had any other ideas, feel free to let me know! :D
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mangled Poly polycounter lvl 18
  • RianShelton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RianShelton polycounter lvl 6
    Great work, this was one of the holes I was following closely. The art turned out great. Only crit would be that it looks really tough to play, guess that's why its a par 6!
  • ufo.mesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ufo.mesh polycounter lvl 13
    Looks awesome! Very nice!