Home Unreal Engine

LIghtmaps giving overlap errors on HIGH res settings, but not on low

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Spoon polycounter lvl 11
Hi PC,

What is up with this? I can bake everything fine at low settings like 32-64 LM res, but if I go to 256-512I get errors of overlapping UVs.
This happens on quite a lot of the assets in the game, and I dont understand why.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Replies

• r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    haha was that a lightmap pun?

is your level and package saved before you bake?
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Haha, no, I am not sophisticated enough to do puns in english :p

No, I just drag the static mesh to the default sun/day map and bake, to test if it is working. Does that make a difference? :O

EDIT: It didnt :(
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Double check to make sure your UVs are uniquely laid out, and that there are no stray UVs. My guess is there is a tiny stray UV somewhere on your mesh. When the mesh has a super low lightmap resolution the stray UV is too small to bake down. On higher resolutions the UV would be visible.

Also double check to make sure your mesh is using the correct lightmap index. Maybe it is on the wrong one?
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    I check in max for both inverted and overlapping faces. Wouldn't that pick it up?
    Your theory on the size makes sense, I just dont understand why I shouldnt be able to find it in Max, then.
    It is using the correct index :)
    It's just the thing about it only showing overlapping erros on higher resolution that I dont understand the logic behind, in general.
    Thanks for your ideas on it :)
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you should check your meshes in UDK. sometimes the import process can scramble your UVs. Double click your asset in the content browser and look for the UV index / display UV icon in the top left. Hope this helps! Don't forget to collapse everything / freeze assets / delete history before you export :D
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks, R4ptur3 :)
    Will try that for the next assets, and see if it makes a difference, as I normally dont collapse and freeze