Home Technical Talk

Zbrush polypaint issues

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
AllyAlbon interpolator
Hope this is the right place to post!

Having severe issues with polypainting in Zbrush! Been at this for three hours now and have a headache but perhaps someone here can help.

On polypaint to ttexture on the subtool of the dragon's body, it is creating seams around individual polys (as if from level 1 although level 6 selected). I can't get rid of this! I have tried exporting and rebuilding uvs from scratch. I have tried reimporting the original low-poly model from Maya. I have tried seemingly everything I can think of

It looks like it is treating each poly as an "individual". I have checked original mesh - polys are fine. Have checked uvs. Uvs are fine. Even rebuilding uvs it is doing this... it is driving me MAD.

The other subtools are completely fine, I must add, as you can see from the wing membrane. All polypaint to texture is perfect.

Can anyone help?
1498074_257243714427818_692366981_o.jpg

Why is it doing this to me?

1490676_257243711094485_852295250_o.jpg

Replies

• low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Maybe check to see if all your UV verts are welded before you import it back into Zbrush...?
  • VisceralD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try the following
    1. go to tool> Geometry>modify topology, then click
    optimize points order, close holes, weld points, then redo the texture from polypaint
    2.click cycle UV's 3 times, then redo polypaint (that comes from an old error in the program)
    3. Finally if that doesent fix try tool>geometry> uv map, and increase your UV map boders to lets say 16 and redo the polypaint
    4. if all else fails just try to unwrap it manually.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Export the subtool and check its uvs to make sure they're the same. Also check their placement, some shells look awfully close to the border in that image.

Polypaint can also be baked in xnormal
  • AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    @Cryrid - can you give more details what you mean by shells being close to the border? the actual UV map is laid out to give as much (sensible) space as possible and not too close to other edges?

I have made slight progress - it turns out that the UVs in Maya are fine, but on importing the basemesh into zbrush something happens - if I then export the same base mesh out, the Uvs HAVE been separated into individual polys or small groups of polys? It's maddening!
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Basically if you have a UV coordinate extending beyond or even touching the 0:1 border, zbrush will not bake the map correctly.

But if the UVs themselves are being detached, trying using GoZ to transfer your Maya mesh to zbrush instead.
  • AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Thanks everyone - seem to be getting closer with this - There is a small dialogue box that pops up in Zbrush that says - Mismatch points order - and recalculating and from what I can find online, this is the bad boy. I can find threads where Max users are having this issue and it sounds exactly the same! However, I don't understand what this is or how to solve it in Maya. Help!