Home Technical Talk

breaking glass without ncloth?

bpears
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
bpears polycounter lvl 4
How could I go about simulating breaking glass? I want to use physics in some way so that I dont have to animate every shard by hand. But I cant use NCloth because my game engine doesnt support that. Using Maya 2012. Needs to be able to be exported as an animation.

Replies

• bpears
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bpears polycounter lvl 4
    found a way using rigidbodies, but I need to use gravity, but only after the pieces have been hit. What I did way add rigidbodies to the pieces. But if I have gravity the whole things fall straight down right away.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Can't you animate the gravity to be at zero before the glass are getting hit?
    Don't have to much experience with dynamics in maya myself.
  • bpears
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bpears polycounter lvl 4
    Can't you animate the gravity to be at zero before the glass are getting hit?
    Don't have to much experience with dynamics in maya myself.

I suppose, but that doesnt make too much difference, im still hitting it right away. But yeah, I got it working, and then for a new one, it didnt work. I even recreated the window from scratch, still get issues with interpenetration errors. I tried everything fiddling with settings and what not.

I believe the problem may be that the second window I worked on was no completely flat, I had modeled sort of a bulge to it. So I think as soon as I hit play it penetrated shards because some of them were being affected by gracity at slightly different rates. Not sure though.

Its a bummer that this tool doesnt work better. Sure there is ncloth, but thats no good outside of Mayas engine.