Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Crit/ Advice

stevston89
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
stevston89 interpolator
So I have been out of work for almost 3 months now. I have been applying everywhere I can and I am not getting much back. I was looking to get a review of my art only ( I am going to be changing around my website soon). I wanted to get a gauge of where I stand and where I can improve.

Anyways here is my portfolio.

Replies

• MethodJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MethodJ polycounter lvl 4
    I like that when I enter your site I can immediately start shuffling through your images. You'd think this would be obvious but I still see portfolio sites with landing pages...

One thing I'd suggest is focusing more on the two characters at the front of your site. They look better than the other stuff, so weight your presentation towards them. Maybe do some close up shots or some breakdowns (wireframe / texture pages).

As far as the art, do more characters. I think you need to show more stuff, and maybe a variety of stuff. For example, how about a military guy, everybody loves those!!!
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd second the recommendation for wireframes & textures. I'd also recommend adding polycount & texture sizes to the description line.

Your textures, with only a few exceptions, seem to include only a diffuse channel; try creating a character with a more complex texture.

It looks like you're primarily a character artist; you might want to move the weapons to the end, or possibly remove them altogether.

Your work seems to be all low-poly; try making a character in the 20k range.

Your hair and fur seem fairly flat, especially on the troll & beaver.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    I have been considering showing breakdowns. I just don't know how useful they are to show though. The texture work should be apparent as should be the geometry. If more people think it would help to put wires and textures up I will. I will add tri counts and texture sizes.

The reason alot of the animals are low poly is because that was the specs I had to work in at the time. I didn't really have the budget to do fully carded hair for those, so I mainly had to hand paint the textures to get it look good. The first 2 characters are over 20k tris. As for the troll I had no idea what I was doing when I made the fur.

I would like to actually add more weapons. I did alot of weapon work at my first job working on character art and it was part of the job. I want to keep them up there and show some versatility. I haven't gotten around to fixing up the weapons I made to show off.

I am working on a new character to beef up my portfolio here is a link to the WIP thread. I plan on bring it into Marmoset 2 to learn how to use Physcial Base Lighting eninges.
  • DougClayton4231
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DougClayton4231 polycounter lvl 3
    I would say that you should remove all of the models that are recolors of previous models, add texture breakdowns and wireframes and show multiple poses/ angles of the best of your characters. I would remove the WIP section entirely and focus on pushing the two first characters that you have, as (imo) they are the most impressive pieces on your site.
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    i didnt see a link or download for your Resume
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Resume link added. Going to take some breakdown shots tomorrow. Removed texture variant images. Thanks for the help guys.

Any other crits about the work?
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I agree that I feel like the characters need to show more life, more personality. They're well made but I just feel like breakdowns and proper beauty shots would get you a long way.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    I agree chrisradsby. That something I was going to work on with my newest character.
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    You really do have some nice work in your portfolio. Maybe adding a demo reel might help. This way you can include breakdowns of your best work without cluttering your site too much.
  • Felixb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Felixb polycounter lvl 8
    Your portfolio is as good as your worst piece in there. Keep that in mind.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Thanks kosh! I am planning on doing a revamp soon. Just trying to finish up a project right now.