Home Technical Talk

3ds max 2012 running slow while doing simple operations

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
nufftalon polycounter lvl 11
I love modeling in 3ds max but 3ds max 2012 64 bit runs slow on simple operations like jumping out of edit poly and into turbosmooth. I turned off direct x and re-enabled nitrous but its still the same. I turned off Aero on my windows 7 and I even ran max as admin but I get the same results. I am not sure what I can do at this point but its slowing me down tremendously, and its becoming a bit of a burden..if anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated it. Its so bad at this point that I am contemplating switching modeling programs.

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System specs?
    Scene specs?
    Lots of separate objects with low poly counts or one giant object with a lot of polys?
    Crazy complex materials?
    Are you using Slate or the regular material editor?
    Do you have a lot of materials sitting around in the material editor(s)?
    Is the texture resolution in the viewport cranked up pretty high?
    Is this regular 3dsmax max or do you have some custom scripts running?
  • nufftalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a sony vaio laptop
    i7 Core Processor
    Nvidia 310m (512mb) Mobiles Graphics Card
    Windows 7 64 bit
    4gb of ram
    Here is my exact specs
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834127044

It freezes up if I start a new scene and edit a cube or whatever.

I do have some plugins installed. I have xoliul shader, Marius Silaghi scripts, turbotool, capture screen, and I have vray.

I am not using any of the plugins when this happens.

I would also like to say I know my laptop isnt the best, but it can hold its own, in softimage, zbrush, udk and maya I don't run into any issues so its something with max itself or the plugins I have installed maybe one of them is corrupt or something who knows.

I have separate objects, I use compact material editor, no complex materials just diffuse color with some spec and gloss.

I have about 8-9 materials which are the same as mentioned above just different color for diffuse.

I haven't applied any textures to my model. I haven't even uved yet. I didn't touch the default texture resolution for the viewport.
  • Mistform05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm running into the same issue actually, running on Macbook Pro Retina 2012, 2.3Gh i7, Geforce GT 650M, with Bootcamp Windows 7.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the problem is coming from the graphics card sharing memory with the system and the system having only 4gb of memory to begin with. The min spec for max is 4gb but that is counting on the video card having its own dedicated memory. Right now you start with 4gb and the video card reserves a chunk dropping you under the min spec.

Recommended spec is 8gb ram and 1gb dedicated graphics memory on the card.

4gb ram and 512mb of dedicated memory on the graphics card, will get you a scene roughly about 1,000 objects or 100,000 polys.

It could also be hard drive space, you need 4 GB swap space (8 GB recommended). If you're low on available hard drive space then it could run really slow.

With that card I would give up on running nitrous, switch back to Direct3D.
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    Is your battery plugged into the laptop? Some laptops reduce the cpu speed when the battery is not in.
  • nufftalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes my battery stays plugged into my laptop I always have it it plugged into power outlets. I have the laptop set to performance mode. I never upgraded the memory on my laptop before but I can upgrade it to 8gb thats the max amazon has it for under 100.00. I just never have problems like this with other programs. I mean yeah if its zbrush and I got a scene with 30-40 million its gonna chug. I know max is built different and can't handle alot of polies for me a least. I mean if you just have a cube in max and convert to editable poly and go into vertex mode and get an hour glass I mean come on lol thats crazy. Meanwhile I'm on google hangout and one of my friends is flying in blender. Just frustrating to say the least. I have always had lag when you press "0" in max for render to texture then it takes like 30 seconds, and all it is is a dialog box. I need this laptop to last me for the time being I am planning on a new custom build sometime late next year with nvidia titan maybe, solid state drives, 16 gigs of ram, i7 core might be a bare bones kits from tiger direct and build it.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    The statistics display (press "7") can cause crazy cursor-hourglass-dances in my Max..
  • nufftalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm gonna try taking out all plugins and turn off the statistics as well and see if that fixes anything. Even when I have statistics off it still gives issues though.

Still the same even with plugins removed. I am going to install 3ds max 2009 and see if it works better for me.
  • nufftalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was doing some research online I may of changed some nvidia control panel graphics settings before when I was trying to get ndo work in photoshop with the preview cube. So when I go home I am gonna try to tweak my 3ds max graphic settings

Nvidia Control Panel: 3D setting"
    Adjust image setting with preview: Let the 3D application decide
    Manage 3D settings: Global- select Restore
    Configure Multi-GPU: Maximize 3D performance & PhysX setting to Auto-select

I may even consider rolling back to a previous graphic driver. I didn't always have this problem thats the thing I have done projects in max before with a very small amount of problems like modeling hipoly robots.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing wrote: »
    The statistics display (press "7") can cause crazy cursor-hourglass-dances in my Max..

Yep, I've hit that. If I have statistics up it can bring a scene to its knees, but only in certain cases it doesn't happen all the time. Typically with files I get from other people who had really heavy scenes and I stripped a lot of it out. If I merge the objects into a new scene it goes away. I've gotten in the habit of always doing that so I forget what a pain it can be, plus I don't leave statistics up all the time either, but other artists do.
  • nufftalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm gonna have to experiment with different versions then and see if I can get one that functions properly. If I can't rectify this problem I may have to temporarily switch to Maya for modeling until I can build my new pc. Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys I really appreciate it.
  • nufftalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im so happy I got 3ds max working with no lagging. I reverted to an older graphics driver because I couldn't access my nvidia control panel. I restored to defaults all the settings in there. I also uninstalled a program called Actual Multiple Monitors not sure if that had anything to do with it. I then restarted the pc and Max is fine now hopefully it stays this way.