Home Technical Talk

Spec Error in Marmoset, need some help

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Add3r polycounter lvl 11
Like the thread title says, I am having a weird spec error in Marmoset (most recent update 1.10). I have tried everything from reexporting the model from both Max and Maya, made sure there are no weird normals/face issues of the geo. Everything seems to be in perfect order, but when I go to turn on specularity within Marmoset, the geo gets this weird filmy look about it. There are other things within the scene that have the same color/spec applied within the same texture.

The mesh is all grouped as one object, with a single material on it, faces are correct, etc. I have narrowed it down to Marmoset's specularity, or something related to it. The other objects with the same spec are reading correctly, like the grey metal band to the right in the picture. Just these hinges break.

YsMDvWb.jpg
(Disregard the blurry, VERY WIP texture in the background, its an RTS prop)

Replies

• AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    I haven't used marmoset much but- are you using a cubemap as part of the specular contribution? To me this looks like it could be a normals/tangent space issue or more likely, a cubemap mipmapping issue. If this is an RTS prop, can you see this error at game res at all?
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Well, more specifically, its a small art test piece I will be doing "closer" up screen grabs of from marmoset. As for the normal map issue, I baked it all out together (explode baked), so I wouldn't think one mesh piece would be different than another. Why I am so confused, or else I would rule that in. I am not using any sort of cubemap, all just a 512x512 targa Spec map made within Photoshop. For testing purposes currently its just a single color and then turned on specularity within Marmoset.

As for game res, if I can't figure this out within a reasonable time, I would probably just put it off, or remove the spec from the specific hinges and probably come back to it later if I had time. Was just curious to see if there was any that has had the same problem? I have been using Marmoset for quite a while, as part of my workflow as I use it to see realtime texture updates as I paint normally.

Thank you for the help so far though, I will see if the normals effect it.