Home Unreal Engine

Translucency Issue

Accipiter
triangle
Offline / Send Message
Accipiter triangle
Has anyone out there had similar issues as this with an Alpha placed in the Opacity channel?

My Blend Mode is set to BLEND_Translucent, which should be correct and I also have "Use Lit Translucency Depth Pass" on. Without that, I get worse results.

No matter how I rotate this object, you completely see through to the existing geometry behind it.

Is this a node issue in the material? I'm guessing you can't just slap your Alpha into the Opacity and expect it to work correctly.

I can show Material setup if needed, but it's just a common Diffuse in, Spec in, Power, and Normal, with the Alpha in the Opacity.

Translucency.jpg

Replies

• Santewi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Translucency in UE3 is sometimes a bit wacky... I've found that it's best to have two separate materials on the mesh in cases like this... So using two UV maps you can have a opaque material for the black part and then another translucent one for the other part.

I've never seen it get this bad though, maybe it's a problem with translucency+skeletal mesh? Does the same happen if you import the same model as static mesh?
  • Accipiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Accipiter triangle
    Wow, what do you know!

Translucency_2.jpg

Looks like it could just be a Skeletal Mesh issue. I might have to try the separate materials to see if that works.
  • Accipiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Accipiter triangle
    Cools, just now getting back to this thing, but having two separate materials does solve the issue.
    Thanks for your help!

Translucency_3.jpg