Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Massive Futuristic Bike

Nosslak
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
I've started working on a new model. This time a sci-fi bike based on a piece of concept art by Jessada Sutthi.

Here's where it's at so far:
Massive%20Bike%20HP%20%2316.png
I still need to add a lot details and fill some holes in the mesh, but so far I think it's coming along nicely.

Also don't flame my 10 minute autoweighed character (basemesh from the wiki) it's just a placeholder to ensure good proportions. I'll remove that for the final shot so I haven't cared much about perfecting the rig.

Crits and comments are as always very much appreciated.

[edit]Here's the latest shot:
Massive%20Bike%20HP%20%2324.png
[/edit]

Replies

• LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    Like you say`d, more details :), dont forget to add details to the front wheel, maybe some kind of suspension or smthing and in the headlight...( not just a glow ) Motorcycle-headlight-assembly-Kits-Bi-Xenon-HID_7536786_1.bak.jpg

....you know what i mean...GL
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s1dK wrote: »
    Like you say`d, more details :), dont forget to add details to the front wheel, maybe some kind of suspension or smthing and in the headlight...( not just a glow ) Motorcycle-headlight-assembly-Kits-Bi-Xenon-HID_7536786_1.bak.jpg

....you know what i mean...GL
    I forgot to reply but those are some great points. I still need to improve the suspension, but I've added some headlight and improved the front wheels as you suggested. I'm not entirely happy with the headlights yet but it looks a lot better than before so they're a start at the very least.

Anyway here's today's progress:
    Massive_bike_HP_%2317_cropped.png
    Changes:
    - Improved the front wheel by a country mile (added a tire pattern, rims, same circular design as on the back).
    - Smoothed out the seat, as it was very sharp before.
    - Added some actual materials with specular highlights and reflections so you can see each and every imperfection (nooooooooo!).
    - Adjusted the handle extrusion.
    - Adjusted the exhaust at the back to be less comical in its proportions.
    - And a bunch of other small stuff I've forgotten.

Todo:
    - More detailing (esp in the back).
    - Possibly a windscreen.
    - Close more holes.

So that's it for today. Crits and comments are yet again encouraged and very much appreciated.
  • JoshVanZuylen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshVanZuylen polycounter lvl 5
    How is the front wheel going to turn? It looks very snug. It looks very much one shape.. Perhaps adding some more breaks in panels?
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How is the front wheel going to turn? It looks very snug. It looks very much one shape.. Perhaps adding some more breaks in panels?
    I were thinking that whole front section would be used to turn. So when you wanted to turn you'd rotate the whole front part. This part is massive so one would have to explain it away with having built-in motors that would help with rotating it so the driver wouldn't need to be a bodybuilder to use it. I was also thinking that the exhausts at the back could be used as jet engines or something so they could help with the turning by giving additional thrust from either side as well.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean in making breaks in the panels. Do you mean just generally adding more panels?
  • NotExactly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NotExactly polycounter lvl 4
    You could try looking at the how the Batpod from the Dark Knight moves, it has very large, wide wheels, but seems to turn pretty much just by leaning. It's not just effects, either, it's a real bike that actually works.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPaTv98wUsE"]THE DARK KNIGHT Bat Pod Sequence - YouTube[/ame]
  • LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    Looks better now mate, dont worry about the turn...in SCI stuff you can use any technique you like to drive a bike...GL
  • Cleverbird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd also recommend creating something that the rider can put their feet in... resting it against the exhaust is a terrible idea
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NotExactly wrote: »
    You could try looking at the how the Batpod from the Dark Knight moves, it has very large, wide wheels, but seems to turn pretty much just by leaning. It's not just effects, either, it's a real bike that actually works.

THE DARK KNIGHT Bat Pod Sequence - YouTube
    I saw that movie so long ago that I had forgotten how awesome that bike was. It's a great reference thank you. I were making wheels similar to that at the start but later opted to go with 2 wheelpairs instead like on the fugly Dodge Tomahawk. Maybe I should go back and make the wheels more similar to the batpod (1 supethick wheel). What does the Polycount say?
    s1dK wrote: »
    Looks better now mate, dont worry about the turn...in SCI stuff you can use any technique you like to drive a bike...GL
    Yeah, thanks!
    Cleverbird wrote: »
    I'd also recommend creating something that the rider can put their feet in... resting it against the exhaust is a terrible idea
    That's a great idea. I were planning to make a feet stand actually but then I forgot about it, twice. I'll try modelling one before the next update.

Thanks for the suggestions and feedback!
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is taking way too long but I'm considering the highpoly model to be done now (still open to critique of course):
    Massive%20Bike%20HP%20%2324.png
    Changes:
    - Redesigned the back
    - Filled more or less all holes
    - Added smaller details
    - Made handle bars
    - Tail lights
    - Foot stand