Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

DOOM - Reaper's Rifle. Critiques!

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
CarlK3D polycounter lvl 7
This is my 2nd Try at a Weapon.
Now I'm going with the traditional method High to Low Poly Modeling.

Tris Count - 6,383 Tris (down from 7.5k..I removed the Bullets)
Texture Size - 2048

Current Stage: Finished for now...

For now I'm gonna call it Done. I'm not to happy with it but I want to try to limit my time on projects so to get more work out. The more to do the better I'll become....I think.

I'll come back to it in maybe a few months, But I'm going to move on to an Hand painted Environment (Mobile Spec) to test my Painting Skills & get a few Environment pieces on my Portfolio.

The Finished (for now) renders are on my Portfolio

prt_540x244_1385553024.jpg
DOOM_Render_-1_1100.jpg

[SKETCHFAB]b1c9fb3c262341aa9bd632c706346ecf[/SKETCHFAB]

please let me know what you think & Critiques or ways I could do to Improve my Hard Surface modelling Thanks!

Replies

• CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any Methods on Hard surface High poly modeling in Maya would be amazing!!!!
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Well generally the methods of high poly modeling apply to all software. Just dont keep edges too tight for bakes. You don't have any other perspective angles to work off?

I notice that where the stock connects to the body of the gun is a seperate object, not just a box. Besides that pretty boring concept, primitive shapes with a g36 on top. Should be pretty easy. I'd probably advise not using ddo2 since it pretty much holds your hand with texturing. Since this is the second weapon you've done might want to get a feel for real texturing.
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do have a bunch of Images from different angles from the Movie Prop & the Fan made. some of which are here - http://www.starshiptroopers.net/DOOM.html

Good point I had looked at that but not done anything about it. I'll get onto fixing that. Yeah I did notice the top. I have found it fun to model so far, your right its not that complex just trying to get all the little details looking correct atm.

I wont be using dDo at all. All Photoshop from now on
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    High Poly is just about finished

B1XQF4T.png
    1HCcSr8.png
    RlU0NsW.png

Next is to make Low Poly
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still need to cleanup model & drop it down to 8k Tris (I'll just keep removing anything un-needed)
    but Low Poly is almost done.

WMTprek.png
  • CarlCraft
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlCraft polycounter lvl 9
    Looking good! I'm no gun expert so not much to say.
    Just wondering about the insets by the barrel, the 4 rectangels on each side, could they not just be in the normal map?
    Also, where does the string in the top middle lead to? it just seems to end abruptly (second pic posted some days ago).
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the Response callebo!
    I have considered normal mapping the Bolts. I thought they did stick out quite far enough to warren their stay. but they dont seem to effect the silhouette so I think I will normal Map them. All of those decisions I would have made in cleanup tommorow. but saves me 400 Tris :)
    The String leads is what I believe to be a laser Designator but I could be wrong. where it leads is from the Designator itself to some kind of battery cell that connects to the side of the main sight. Better Image Here
  • Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    The soft part that touches your shoulder in the buttstock could be smoother
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    they are relatively smooth its just Zbrush making my normals Hard.
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Low Poly Finished. Got it down to 7,625 Tris before I was happy.

xabjovM.png
    2a5Phgx.png
    pYC6eea.png
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UV's done. Overlayed as many UV's that would use the same texture or material I could think of.

Final Model Tris Count : 7,502

WwiVM75.png
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Final Final Tris Count 7,453
    Bake Finished, starting cleanup. then texturing can begin!
    nfytawT.jpg
    hN9i1D6.jpg
  • Spunky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spunky polycounter lvl 11
    Assuming you are rendering in Maya....what type of material are you using? I've been trying to get a nice render of my first gun
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm rendering in Marmoset Toolbag. The Material from Maya is just a Lambert but Marmoset uses its own Blinn Environment. The Only Texture on it is the Normal Map (To show the Bake from High to Low)

If you want a nice looking render Marmoset, UDK or CryEngine both give really nice results with a bit of work on the right lighting. UDK Is the hardest to setup Marmoset & CryEngine 3 are both very easy to learn. I would not use Maya to render (Unless your really good at it/ its Film Spec)

**UPDATE**
    Cleanup is just about done. beginning Texturing
  • Spunky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spunky polycounter lvl 11
    Cool thanks. I've been eye ballin Marmoset I guess I should give it a shot. Thanks for the reply
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *Update* Textures are about 50% done.

JhF7REA.jpg
    sHakI8y.jpg
    TVnwgH9.jpg
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    Looks like you've got some artifacts in the barrel area, around those little indents/holes. Looking at your HP they're pretty visible there, you're getting some tearing/pinching all around those holes. Other than that it's coming along nicely!
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah I'll work on fixing the artifacts tommorow.

Also I really like your portfolio layout, its one if not the best I've seen & your work looks great. Can I ask how long you've been doing 3D?
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Carl,

It's a good start. I think before you move onto your scratches and wear you should focus on getting the base materials looking right. Especially on the metal, the scope also and other parts since they are made of plastic.

Check out the prominent noise on the specular for those plastic parts.
    doom_reaper_rifle_007_by_matsucorp-d4w9k78.jpg
    Another thing about the metal I noticed on the refs is the fact it's spray painted on, which I think would look great and make it look less uniform. Since you're doing a black version you could do black sprayed onto grey metal. It also leaves the texture slightly cloudy. Also check out in the above image how the spray painting is not covering the entire area but moreover the center sections. The metal looks much more prominent in edges or intersecting geo areas.

Aside from that the texture of the real life one isn't too exciting, so I'd probably bring it up a notch and put dirt and wear in subtle form around.
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice tynew! I will keep it in mind and go back over the model, I haven't done much work with the spec yet but today I hope to get it all done so I can use it for my Unity Skyshop Tutorial.
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For now I'm gonna call it Done. I'm not to happy with it but I want to try to limit my time on projects so to get more work out. The more to do the better I'll become....I think.

I'll come back to it in maybe a few months, But I'm going to move on to an Hand painted Environment (Mobile Spec) to test my Painting Skills & get a few Environment pieces on my Portfolio.

The Finished (for now) renders are on my Portfolio

prt_540x244_1385553024.jpg
    DOOM_Render_-1_1100.jpg

There will be a SketchFab model Embedded soon
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2 Images from Unity using Marmoset Skyshop

1_Unity_1100.jpg
    2_Unity_1100.jpg

& a 3D View from SketchFab!