Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Skater WIP

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Torch interpolator
[Note: As of Monday I'll be traveling so will have to put the project on Hiatus for a few weeks, but will be completing it when I get back. Thanks all :D]

Hey all, decided I wanted to get some more realistic looking characters in the folio so decided to go for something skater-ey to star off with :) Thinking baggy clothing, slouched jeans, etc.

Have a basic blockout so far, more to come. Cheers!

Refs:

DAlEF0c.jpg

4RPZbCy.jpg

Replies

• Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Just another up, trying to work on the cloth more. C&C very much appreciated :)

HAwmQ8I.jpg
  • JamesMeader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesMeader polycounter lvl 9
    Good start.
    Be good to add some distinctive features like the ear tunnels, piercings, also maybe some rips in the jeans to show he's been about a bit.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Consider how your models will move and how that will effect their clothing.
    SOOO many modelers make great looking models that work in an A pose but then the second they get rigged up and step out of that pose, all of the nice cloth folds and baggy drapery fall apart, or... actually stay static and look horrible.

It's like painting harsh directional shadows into a tilable diffuse map.

Great character design means thinking ahead and planning around commonly made mistakes. Making a character that is designed to not be a burden on the technical restraints of the game. It can take a lot of work and tech power to make the level of cloth that you have, behave like it should. Or you could not invest in that and it can look pretty bad.

This is why I think its important that all character artists be fairly well versed in skinning and animation, they don't have to be amazing but they need to know enough to be able to predict and work around these kinds of issues.

Long post short:
    It's a good looking model, some great working has gone into it, but unless its a statue I think the core design could cause problems that should be weeded out at the concept phase.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Hey James and Mark, thanks a lot for the feedback!

@Mark - Those are some really good points, I have to check out more information on proper realtime deformations, etc. Will make that my next priority - cheers :)
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KristaW polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Torch!

I am so guilty of making characters that don't deform very well. I am a student studying character art and I keep making characters where I like the silhouette but I make pretty beginner mistakes with designing the character for believable deformation. For example I made pleated drop crotch pants once. How did I imagine those would deform correctly? Then my last character I made saggy, baggy pants. And my current character has a baggy jacket on. Could you share anything you find out or learn about real time deformations, or any other ways around this, on this thread? I would love to still make characters with interesting clothes and silhouettes so I will keep my eye on this thread if you are willing to share anything you learn.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Hey all, haven't updated this in a while - I decided to re-think the top as I tried a few skinning tests and as mentioned there were problems with the draping of the sleeve over the hands, so swapped it out for a hoodie. Still not happy with the cloth folds but it will get there :) Cheers!

@Krista - will try PM you some info when I have the time!

CnC0KL6.jpg
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Just going to be working on the head this morning trying to get it right, supposed to be a young guy so don't want to have too much definition but getting it looking good is important :D

If there are any issues I'd appreciate someone pointing them out. Will try post another update soon. Thanks guys
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Hey Phil :) looks like a good start. I think you are working at too higher subdivisions at the moment. Cloth is a lot easier to refine when you are squeezing every last drop from your subdivisions. Same can be said about the head. Just means you are concentrating on your major forms and by lacking the res to make any finicky details you really are just pushing the major shapes. Might be worth studying the planes of the face or getting your hands on a skull somehow. I bought one from a fish shop but it's cast from a real skull that really helped me understand bone structures and shapes around the face. Think it was about 6 quid from pets at home or the range haha.

With the cloth you are looking at folds around the ankles, knees, armpits, elbows and wrists for natural looking cloth deformation. Just remember the forms underneath and how they will define the cloth. Also that there is a relationship to cloth, folds don't just end and they influence one another exponentially. Also remember silhouette, it's a bit boxey at the moment and there's not a lot of sense of underlying anatomy

With the face I think You might be best to go down a few subdivisions and concentrate on skull shape. At the moment it looks like you've just jumped up too quickly and are missing the major forms, things like brow shape and jaw line, jaw might be pulling back too much. Temples are probably the main issue and the eye shape.

It's a great start though dude, you got everything setup and ready, just needs a bit of refining. Grab loads of ref and go crazy buddy :)
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Wow awesome crit Tom, nice one! Really appreciate it, I'm gonna go back and like you said refine it more at the lower Sub-d's. Cheers :)