Home Technical Talk

UDK over exposed reflection

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Revel interpolator
Hi guys, does anyone know why my reflection get super bright even though d real object didn't? One thing that should be noted is that there is a DominantDirectionalLight pointing towards it. Is there anything that I can do to fix this?

j2ZAAcg.jpg

As I didn't do anything fancy with the shader, its just added a post process chain DOF/Bloom onto the TextureRenderTarget2D of the reflection.

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    why not just multiply the reflection down until you're happy with it?
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Hi gir, yes multiply makes the whole reflection darker, but still have that blooming wall where DominantDirectionalLight hit even though there is a ceiling and wall in front of it that by right block the Light from hitting the interior wall with such intensity. Is there any node for the reflection that register this ceiling and front exterior wall to block the light?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    oh sorry, didn't understand the problem at first. maybe try a constant clamp then? clamp the values between 0-1.
  • Santewi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is your ceiling/wall two sided?
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Yeah I tried to clamp it before but the result is looks like, well, clamped high light and not bring back the detail on the reflected wall. Just curious why the wall didn't block the intensity of the light on the reflection..or is that really a limited feature and is expected result for the current state? but google search result didn't come up with related issue.

And yes my wall and ceiling are both got a thickness (no single face poly).
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    you could use normalize instead of clamp... clamp cuts off any values above/below the clamp whereas normalize interpolates all the values to between 0-1. see if that works better?
  • mAlkAv!An
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mAlkAv!An polycounter lvl 5
    From my experience render to textures don't respect tonemapping, which can cause noticeable discrepancies.
    Also make sure to link your reflected textures to the emissive slot but not the diffuse.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Yeah, normalize give a slightly usable result though, but still not quite there yet...but guys if we too focus on clamping the highlight then wouldn't in also become impossible to get this kinda "natural" highlight overexposed on the floor?

Studio-Style-Empty-Studio1.jpg

Emissive slot, huh? never read about it before cus on the UDN page example for a marble floor they plug in to diffuse after LERP-ing with the diffuse texture it self. Any advantages that we get by plug it in to emissive rather then LERP with diffuse?
  • mAlkAv!An
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mAlkAv!An polycounter lvl 5
    If you plug it into the diffuse slot it will be affected by any light twice, except for unlit scene captures.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Also having it in the emissive slot also means reflections are going to be stronger where there isn't any direct lighting, which is nice effect, sometimes those areas end up a bit flat.
  • Santewi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What you plug in the diffuse slot gets multiplied by L . N. Emissive is not affected by lights.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Oh man...i feel stupid and embarrassed now, the over bright reflection is only appear when i haven't rebuild the light, as soon as i rebuild light its all fine..I'm soo sorry :poly136:
    I just wish that other new people coming to UDK benefit from my mistake.

Oh and I'll definitely will try plug in the reflection into the emissive slot~
    Thanks guys!

I even crank up the brightness of DDLight to 6 and here is the result;
    Before light build;
    Llle9AW.jpg

After light rebuild;
    24xOOC1.jpg
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Oh and while we're at it, I got a TextureRenderTarget2D for my floor and I also got a metal cylinder pipe on the ceiling which is can't really use the TextureRenderTarget2D for the reflection input and had to use the TextureRenderTargetCube for the reflection input. Is it really necessary to use 2 type of the TextureRenderTarget on a small scene? or can I just use a single TextureRenderTargetCube for flat floor and cylinder pipe?

I know it's just a personal project but I'm trying to learn UDK and try to approach the real scenario production of limited budget. Any thought guys?
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Revel wrote: »
    Oh and while we're at it, I got a TextureRenderTarget2D for my floor and I also got a metal cylinder pipe on the ceiling which is can't really use the TextureRenderTarget2D for the reflection input and had to use the TextureRenderTargetCube for the reflection input. Is it really necessary to use 2 type of the TextureRenderTarget on a small scene? or can I just use a single TextureRenderTargetCube for flat floor and cylinder pipe?

I know it's just a personal project but I'm trying to learn UDK and try to approach the real scenario production of limited budget. Any thought guys?

Are you bakeing out the rendertexturecube as static maps?

I would use both 2d and cube for flat surfaces vs objects, if the cube is baked to a static texture.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Hmmm..bake to static maps?..I'm not too sure whether I got read about that somewhere before, so I guess currently I didn't bake any static maps from the cube though...