Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK/Pixel/Normalmap/Moba/Sci-fi/Environment

grand marshal polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Obscura grand marshal polycounter
Hi guys!This is my new personal project. I will show the updates of the project here. As the title says, this will be an environment. And a technical study, because I will use layered materials, maybe some reflection stuff, and this time I'll try my hands on Kismet :) I don't really have concept, just ideas, an older texture that I will rework... Because I like LoL and sci-fi, I want to make a sci-fi Moba map. Here is the texture that I talked about:
56pl.png
I made this a few weeks ago, but if I want to use it on this map, I need to replace the color channels with mask maps, because as I said, it will use layered materials. Not a really complex one, especially in this early stage, but I'm working on it. Here is what I have:
bqyz.jpg
ccl3.jpg
Yeah, pixels with normal maps :) The normal maps are hand painted, and the textures are using nearest filter. At the moment, You can control 4 diffuse colors, colorize, set power, and turn on/off one emissive , and set the specular level on 4 layers through material instances. All these based on mask maps.I have only one more thing. An another material, for a "energy field wall" that I want to place Before the turrets, and I want to make that, you can't shoot through it to the turrets, so you need to go through the energy wall, a lot more closer to the turret and you get into its range. So when an enemy player is under its turret, you need to go into the turret range if you want to shoot to it.I don't know yet, how good or bad idea is this.This material is also work in progress.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1Mb9nGt0mE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1Mb9nGt0mE[/ame]
Sorry for the low video quality.
The next steps will be to make the masks of the older texture, and adding new features to the master material.
Critiques/opinions are very welcome!

Replies

• Logithx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Logithx polycounter lvl 5
    That's pretty cool, the only problem I find would be the excessive noise on contrast heavy textures. Also, are you just going to use flat planes mostly? For example that pic you posted of the hallway you can extrude the side and floor gratings inwards (following the same scale as one of the large pixels) to give it some more depth. I guess you're going with real-time lighting or something? Lightmaps would look horrible.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi.I forgot to post one more pic...I have some meshes too,that I made when I made the texture.
    ta3e.jpg
    I will use extrusions and 45 degree angles on the environment pieces.The props are a good question at the moment :D Yeah, the lighting will be real time. The texture atlas will change and I will add more things to it later.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So. After thinking on the master material, and on how could I make it more useful, I removed the emissive because it was a little useless and buggy.I'll make 2-3 from this material because not everything needs 4 layers.And I will make one that will have one or two layers plus the emissive. So a separated material for the emissive objects. I was thinking on the layering too. They have color and spec , and last night I added glossiness. I want to add "sublayers" to all 4 layers. The first idea was that they also can work with maskmaps (the surface details would be in these masks).Later I got an another idea, and its that it can use (maybe) vertex color based opacity. So I'll be able to break the repetation. Or, vertex color based, plus an another detail layer, and you can set the opacity of it and the color/spec, etc. The last new thing in my plan is that I want to combine real time lighting with "ambient cubes" to show some fake gi.

Opinions about the material system (or anything) are still very welcome :)
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    cool style keep going