Home Dota 2

Question about model/ texture for a single item/weapon.

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
Hi everyone,

I am currently making a weapon for Sven, the concept and low poly model are done, but i got a problem at the texturing part.

As you can see in the picture below, i have the weapon modeled in 2 pieces, the "blade" and the "handle". The question is does the weapon has to be just one mesh? And if the weapon can be more than 1 mesh, does it has to be just one texture map for the whole weapon or one texture map for each part of it ?

I'm still a noob at making item for game, so really sorry if my question sound stupid QQ (also, sorry about my english too! )

Thank you in advance.

PS: Any critique is welcome!

eNnMO5o.jpg?1

OKS4Mab.jpg

Replies

• HntrLuc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    Hi quockhanhlk, you can use multiple meshes for your models. They do need to all share the same texture though. Make sure and check what the texture size is for your item if you're not sure. http://www.dota2.com/workshop/requirements

Looks cool so far, good luck.
  • quockhanhlk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much :D
  • quockhanhlk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc wrote: »
    Hi quockhanhlk, you can use multiple meshes for your models. They do need to all share the same texture though. Make sure and check what the texture size is for your item if you're not sure. http://www.dota2.com/workshop/requirements

Looks cool so far, good luck.

Sorry but i got stuck again, the link as you mentioned above say that the size of the texture for my item must be 256H x 256W, so i created a 256x256 px texture, but no matter how hard i try to paint it, it all looks pixelated, but looking at you guys' textures, they're all look great, like 1k or 2k at the size! So, what do you think i did wrong ? Do "256H x 256W" really means "256x256 px" ???

Thank you in advance.
  • HntrLuc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    Most people bake and texture at a higher size, the in-game version will only use a 256x256 though. You can make your textures at 512x512 or 1024x1024 for a nice clean version, useful for presentation. When you import it into Dota 2, the importer utility will automatically size it down to the final 256x256 res.

Past that it's just a matter of practice to get as much as you can out of a small texture. Use mirroring UVs as much as possible and try and fit the UV islands into you map with as little waste as possible.
  • quockhanhlk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you again, i'm grateful