Home Technical Talk

Tri count for naval ship cannons?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
tynew polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys,

So I've done a ship cannon that will be used in first person view in a "next-gen" pirate game. The ship has 46 cannons on 2 decks. My tri count currently is 4k. If I start lowering anywhere on the butt of the cannon, it's very obvious to see the chunky silhouette. The rings also look really chunky when the segments are lowered, plus I suppose baking on really low amount of geo would make the normals wonky.

4WvDkCX.jpg

46 guns is almost 200k tris. It just seems like such a huge amount. There will be 2 ships battling it off in close range.

How many tris are good for a full scene, including characters, weapons etc?
Game engine being used is unity3d.

Replies

• bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Since it's a FPS, will you ever see the ship far away? If not, occlusion should take care of it, specially if you create as a prefab, that will be instanced.

If the ship is gonna be seen far away, make sure to create an LOD. Perhaps a combined mesh LOD so u dont have as much draw-calls
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Obviously there would be multiple LOD's for a model like this in a game. You can use different types of culling to only draw the cannons currently being seen. 4k should be fine.
  • pr1970
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pr1970 polycounter lvl 7
    Can the game engine not use instancing & lodding for these cannons? Also determine how close your going to be to them, if the cannons are only ever seen from another ship theyre only going to occupy a tiny percentage of screen space. Hardly worth using 4000+ polys on something so small on screen unless of course you`re going to get right up close to them.
  • imperator_dk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imperator_dk polycounter lvl 10
    Your model is badly optimized, you are using the same amount of sides to describe the roundness of tiny torus's as you are using to describe the barrel of the gun. The extra loops on the wheel axels could also easily be covered in texture, and you don't reduce the amount of loops describing roundness as they converge towards collapsing into trifans, alot of places there are edge loops that add nothing to the silhouette or shape of the object.

I wouldn't worry about 4k for a prop like this in a next gen fps game at all, but you are using your 4000 polygons very poorly.