Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Anatomy for dummies

Boozebeard
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Boozebeard polycounter lvl 11
*New model, latest update*

syR1cXy.png

Decided to start doing some studies of human anatomy.

This is my attempt at an arm. C&C appreciated.

[SKETCHFAB]0c8ace7bb61445a6af7af82174b5ca68[/SKETCHFAB]

Replies

• Xsim1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xsim1 polycounter lvl 4
    Really really nice in my opinion. Where did you learn to do this? A specific tutorial or only personal research? Because I really like it haha. : P

I should also put myself to realistic human anatomy. ^^
  • Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a Zbrush sculpt and lots of googling for arm anatomy images :)
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    The proportions are off, the forearm looks small and shriveled. Some quick adjustments to the proportions and this would be looking pretty solid. Found this ref which might help, but just take a look at some photos or anatomy books and you'll get it.
  • Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I thought it was probably a bit small in comparison. I've updated the original sketch fab model.
  • Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The arm has evolved!

[SKETCHFAB]0c8ace7bb61445a6af7af82174b5ca68[/SKETCHFAB]
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    You've got most insertions/origins right but the proportions and surface area of some muscles are off considerably. The anterior deltoid spans too far medially onto the clavicle for example, leaving too little room for the clavicular section of the pectoral muscle.

Also the posterior deltoid is way too large and leaving no room for the sliver of the long head of the tricep. Huuuuuge infraspinatus also.

I'd also take another shot at the external obliques, they're a little crudely done and simple right now. Some of the arm seems tough to judge due to the shader (like not sure if you've separated the heads of the bicep) but again proportionally looks a little odd.

Hope that helps.
  • Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback. I had a feeling the deltoids were too big. I'll be sure to adjust it. Not sure what you mean by the infraspinatus. Looks very similar to most the reference I can find. The tres major (I think) below it does seem a lot smaller in some refernce images I'm looking at now though but is about that size in the reference I was using at the time =/

I've primarily been using this as reference:

musculature_torso
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    That's a pretty bad reference to be honest. I've seen that bounce around, and it's basically a pretty smooth mesh textured with muscles. The texturing is fairly accurate but there's no form.

If you can, use photos. You can find pictures of guys with very low body fat, as well as ecorche type stuff and bodies. Then supplement with reference books, I personally like Bridgman but his stuff is very exaggerated. There are a lot of choices.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I don't want to start a discussion of anatomy books but I'd give this book a try: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Anatomy-Artist-Stephen-Rogers/dp/0195030958"]Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist[/ame]. Clear/realistic renderings of forms of both bones and muscles, photo analyses of several poses of the full body, explanation of how the joints/muscles work etc. Nice and inexpensive...

EDIT: Also, Zack Petroc has some pretty cool anatomy .ztl files for sale:

http://www.zackpetroc.com/category/models/
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Not sure where you found that anatomy sheet but I wouldn't use it. Because you've copied it exactly, you've got it's faults also (like no rhomboids or serratus anterior). Richer has the best and most comprehensive anatomy textbook to pickup out there IMO. You can probably find examples of his plates online.
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11
    Yea, I wouldn't use that reference like it has been stated, it's an oddly distorted 3d model. You're better off using this for example:

anmfv2-1-6scale_000.jpg
  • brwnbread
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brwnbread polycounter lvl 13
    I'm enjoying the sketchfab-ness. I think the main problem is that you don't seem to be taking into consideration the skeleton. They're as important as the muscles, if not more... so check them out, maybe try make a skeleton first.
  • Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Might just get one of those anatomy models :P
  • mkZ3R0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those models are pretty expensive, but a copy of a good anatomy book is quiet as resourceful and cheaper.
  • Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

I recently purchased a 3D total anatomy figure so I thought I'd do another study and make myself a decent male base mesh for future work. This is my progress so far, C&C much appreciated. I think I need to bring the shoulders in a bit.

iva5sjd.png
  • Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some refinement to the torso and worked on the asymmetry. Also added a base for fun :P

Feed back much appreciated, I'm sure there's plenty wrong with it.

zTzc1wf.png

Edit: I realise it should be homo sapien :C
  • Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some bits feel off, especially the arms/hands. Any advise?

syR1cXy.png