Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Male Proportions Help | FIRST ATTEMPT |

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
JordanLeigh polycounter lvl 9
Just want some crit on my male mesh. It's going to be used for my character for my university project.
He'll be fully clothed but you'll be able to see his hands and head. I didn't go into much detail with the sculpt as its going to be my base mesh.

gaW588W.jpg

I just want to know if my proportions are okay or if there's anything that needs changing. Like I stated it's my first attempt at a male body and I'm looking to improve.

Replies

• JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the side view, the arms are pretty horrible :/

2nHK9U5.jpg
  • SmilingMountain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SmilingMountain polycounter lvl 7
    Staffs uni by any chance? Probably too early to give any serious crits. In terms of proportions you it might help you to check your model against Andrew Loomis' standards of proportion if you haven't already. That's generally what I go by. Your sculpt lines up pretty well with the Loomis' avarage/academic proportions. It is also really important to continually compare your character to a reference image like those found on 3d.sk IMO. Anyways I think you're off to a good start, looking forward to seeing how this develops :)
  • nathanbarrett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathanbarrett polycounter lvl 6
    I'm by no means an expert, but the legs look a tad too small to me
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers guys, yehh i have a chart showing the landmarks compared to head heights and all that. Seems to matvh up well but i'll take a look at the legs again
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandon.LaFrance polycount sponsor
    I think proportionally, you're pretty damn close. Its hard to tell while looking at them straight on, but I think the hands look a tad small. I'm sure you're planning on addressing them, but the fingers are looking rather sausage-like at the moment. Make sure to really study the contours of the hand, lots of potential for character there.

I know you're planning on throwing some clothes on him, but it couldn't hurt to really nail the spine of the scapula. Depending on the type of clothing, they will often dictate the way the cloth will drape.

You might also be able to bring the armpits down a few centimeters, there doesnt seem to be enough room above them for both the deltoids and pectoralis muscles in the front, and the deltoids and long head of the triceps in the back.