Home General Discussion

GameEngines,You prefer for making mobile games(3D) ?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
cmtanko polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys,
I'll be googling soon, but its always better to ask here first :).
To the point:
I'm doing some research for making a 3D Cards game (something like Poker/Dice)..I've no idea for these kind of game.
So, What GameEngine do you prefer for making such small/commercial mobile games(IOS/Android/whatever) or do you even need one ?
I know we could use UDK for making games for mobile platform too. But I guess there are other smaller/cheaper/not hard to learn gameengines appropriate and which most companies use.

Replies

• Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Unity is the best choice.
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Xoliul,
    Just going through Unity3D and Havok now..
    (I want to use Havok more but Unity3D have so much tutorials, I could learn faster )

Anyway, Until now I thought we make a game for mobile then port to Android,IOS or Windows... Buts looks there are different version for different platform ?
    so approach gonna be different for different OS ?
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I've never created a mobile game with Unity, but based on the amount of training content and how proven the engine is, it should be the obvious choice.
    As to how to exactly create it, I can't answer, but don't expect the same project to work on every platform without any extra effort.
    Regarding the licensing: i know it's not very clear, but i think you can create for all platforms for free. Pro just gives you more features. And you have to get pro separately for Android and IOS i think.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    unity unity unity... no other best choice...
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so, Unity it is... hehe
    Should start learning it soon then.
    Thanks guys :)
  • PollySong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PollySong polycounter lvl 14
    I've been looking at this as well. We already have a license of Unity at work, but in my tests I always get huge file sizes. A simple test cube becomes a 8mb .apk. Am I doing something wrong or is that what I can expect with Unity?
  • SanderDL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    Maybe the project files seem pretty big but when I make webbuilds they are always very small. So I think mobile builds should be rather optimized aswell.
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    PollySong, a big chunk of those 8mbs is unity engine itself, your content is probably very small. You could do a webbuild, but then the engine will be part of the plugin that needs to be downloaded( once )
  • PollySong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PollySong polycounter lvl 14
    SanderDL: The 8mb file was a .apk for android.

Osman: Are we talking about the desktop browser version webbuilds? Or is there an option to export some sort of webbuild for ios/android as well?