Home Technical Talk

3DS Exporting scene, appears Offset - Need Help

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Mossbros polycounter lvl 9
I've been having this problem since I started using CryEngine, and before anyone asks I have tried resetting the Xforms on all the objects individually within the scene with no luck :(

The problem as highlighted is that I want to export multiple geometries from 3DS max into CryEngine while still maintaining their positions.

The original Mesh:
2e20fb5445cf667a631ce6b72f5aba2e.png

When I export, I don't export the files as individual nodes as I want it to import as a block, but I would like to refrain from converting the sub objects into a single one, this is because it makes it difficult to edit at a later point.
Everything from export seems correct:
d043f18226ce6e05f34c1b5289dcd462.png
4f0b799c6f1b6bf2eef1fb45b636951e.png

But as soon as I look within CryEngine, this mess appears.
4358ffc69f0c8c7b8dff52e0231858e9.png

As you can see the proxy is perfectly intact as it's one object, and that's where the rest of the meshes are supposed to be, but as you can see they are not.

Can anyone help me with this, because all I've found documentation and video wise to do with this issue is the reset Xforms fix.

Replies

• jestersheepy
    Offline / Send Message
    jestersheepy polycounter lvl 8
    Have you tried in cryengine going to tool > reload geom? That seems to put proxies back in place when you have been importing multiple times.
  • divi
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    It is also rather convenient to Link all your rendermeshes to a helper and Export that instead of a large List.
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Do all the pivot points match up? I'm fairly sure that Sandbox places a model based on its pivot point, not the origin of the scene.

I would also try resetting Xforms but you said you've already tried that..
  • Zepic
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    Sometimes you need to detach an object first, then hit reset xforms, add an edit poly modifer and then collapse the stack. Then reattach the proxy to the object.

Also, like it was mentioned above, make sure your pivots for both your proxy and rendermesh are lined up the same.

You can also just attach your proxy to your rendermesh as opposed to linking them under a dummy node.
  • Axi5
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    I've tried all of the solutions here and none of them work for me unfortunately. The problem for me is that it's only affecting the proxy mesh, not the render meshes like the original poster.

I have a feeling it might be CryExporter not working well with Max 2014 (damn university), so I'm switching back to ol' 2011 to see if I can get it all working again, I'm sure I never used to have this issue.

But in case it's not, I'm hoping there is someone who can explain why only a proxy is offset?
  • e-freak
    do you have the pivot for both (render mesh and proxy) in the same location?
  • Axi5
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    Yup, I have also tried:
    Resetting xforms,
    Tried resetting pivots on both meshes and centering pivots respectively,
    Having the proxy attached or detached,
    Linking meshes to a dummy object and exporting that,
    Deleting the proxy all together, re-cloning and applying material ID for proxy,
    Reloading Geometry in CryEngine,
    Restarting CryEngine (Although I think this had fixed it once),
    I tried Zepic's answer too,

The problem happens even when the mesh is as simple as a cube, the proxy seems to cover only about a 1/4 of the render mesh or so due to it being offset.

Any other ideas?

EDIT:
    Yeah max 2011 seems to work fine with CryEngine, maybe 2014 exporter is bugged or maybe my exporter is outdated etc. I know I've had the same issue with 2011 before but the solutions posted above seem to work.