Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Rock Climber (Critiques Encouraged)

Current Character project, Aiming for a game character around 12k triangles once i add all the gear on the side of the harness.

Started with zspheres then imported the harness sections modeled in maya.

Adding hair later tonight / tomorrow. Retopologizing soon and getting ready for the fine details and polypainting.

Critiques are encouraged.

Any questions please feel free to ask.

Climber_WIP_zps285c7fc9.jpg

Replies

• KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KristaW polycounter lvl 9
    How soon are you going into retop? I personally think there is a couple of things that could be fixed before you move forward. There seems to anatomical issues in the body. The size of his in comparison to his body makes me think he is an old looking child. The relationship of the ribs and stomach muscles is also feeling a little mysterious. Those are the most noticeable things to me. And maybe the wrists are bugging me too. They look a little thick , imo.

Are you using reference for the harness? It's looking a little thin to me. I think the straps are also looking pretty lumpy and wobbly.

I love the idea of doing a rock climber. I have thought about it myself :) The shoes seem like they would be fun to make. Have fun and I look forward to seeing more.
  • Rojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you share your reference, is this a stylized character?

You should really focus more on larger forms and silhouette, before moving to detail. The armpit/pectoral/deltoid region needs some attention, it's not going to deform accurately if you retopo at this point. Good start.
  • Fearoshiima
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @KristaW Im probably going to redo the harness soon. I'm not sold on how it looks as of now. I will probably just pull my harness out in a day or so and get some references from it.
    I'll retopo when I'm feeling satisfied with the anatomy and harness. As far as the shoes, they were actually easy to box model, then use the Mask lasso with inflat to make the insets. IMM the straps and such.

@Rojo I'll take a look at the anatomy around the shoulders and pecks. And yes it is slightly stylized so he won't look perfect but i stylize characters a bit to avoid the uncanny valley.

Thanks for the critiques so far. Always good to hear real critiques.
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    In relation to his nose, the climbers eyes seem too large. You might want to scale them down some. I'd say the head is looking a bit too square at the moment. While I get that it's fun to stylize, be sure to maintain a hint of realism.
  • Fearoshiima
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I Reworked the pectoral muscles and the shoulder / armpit area. It looks better now, good catch.

@Stiris The eyes are about 5 eyes across still... however they did end up a bit to far apart so i think that might be the issue your seeing. I'll also take a look at the squareness of the head to see if i can round it a bit while keeping the "character" of the face. Thanks for the responce