Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Environment Portfolio Critique Request - Alex Stockwell

Hey Polycount,

I'm just a few months away from graduating from the Art Institute of San Diego, this December to be exact, but I finally wrapped up the environment you see below so I found some time to get a site online. I really wanted to ask what everyone here thinks about it, the work, the layout, the navigation, etc. I would love to keep improving this and i still have more content I plan on updating the site with soon. But for now I hope you like it, feel free for any critiques, I'm always trying to improve my work and THANKS! :poly142:

whFinals_001_Beauty_Shot_001.jpg

Without any further ado...

www.Stockwell3D.com

Replies

• leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Your personal environment is nice! The big thing I think still needs work are your values. Your snow has some nice color changes between the sunlight and shadows, but the wood is pretty much the same value throughout the image. I would try to get some more separation, because it's throwing off the composition for me. Trying removing some planks in some areas, adding in some dirtier spots, etc.

Also the footprints on the right look like they're coming out of the snow instead of going in :poly124:
  • jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    I like your website and nice job editing down to only your best pieces.

You could probably get rid of the crate and the couch from the SOE section (or at least move them to the bottom) as they are not your strongest assets from your internship.

You personal environment is nice and the stagecoach is great. The environment as a whole is a bit noisy. Maybe try toning down the high frequency in the wood a bit (in addition to some of leleuxart's ideas).

I also have a minor gripe with how the stagecoach is being presented on its own. The snow makes sense in the context of the environment, but is distracting on your presentation sheet.
  • Stockwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated the website a bit:

I made the header smaller so the Banners of my work would be the biggest thing you see, I rearranged some of the sample sheets on the pages to go from what I think are my best pieces from top to bottom, I took the snow off the Carriage in it's sample sheet, and a typo here and there.

Thanks leluexart and jStins for the responses, I'm glad you like my stuff and when I have some time at the end of the week I'll drop into the winter environment and try and break up the values and tones of the barn a bit more, I may also see if reducing the spec on the zdepth snow shader will help with the noise in the wood, I think that might help.

Also working on adding some new content as well, will update again as soon as I can!

More feedback always welcome!!

Same Link!!! www.Stockwell3D.com

and I have it in my sig now!!! :poly129: