Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Research Facility Dorm (UDK)

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
Yo Polycount.

So I never seem to finish any personal work lately, especially environments. I usually get to a certain point early on and just give up. It's always something technical that gets me, like materials in UDK or the grid or whatever. I get really bummed out about that, so I'm either gonna get this one finished to a decent level or give up and accept a life of flipping burgers or something (No offense to those that do flip burgers).

For work, I do low poly hand painted stuff all day, so I wanted to create something far away from that. Here's my concept:

fg5r5P7.jpg

And here's where I'm at. I've got a few half made meshes in for a blockout and some BSP. Some things have different spacing and whatnot, but that's just because I'm trying to build everything to the grid:

2L52c0m.jpg

Replies

• Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    So far so good!

I know what you mean about not finishing environments, I'm currently in the same boat; and i work on visulisation environments all day! :( I really want to break into games haha.

1 thing i'd double check is your scenes depth.

The persective of yours seems to be a tad off; - Theres 8-9 tiles from the start-end of your scene; whilst only 6 in the concept!
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The persective of yours seems to be a tad off; - Theres 8-9 tiles from the start-end of your scene; whilst only 6 in the concept!

Yeah, I think I need more depth though. The end room is supposed to have showers and toilets on the side walls. If I push everything closer, there won't be much room between the beds, and If I don't have more length in the shower area I won't be able to fit the toilets.

I think/hope that's the right approach.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    So far the blockout seems pretty good. I was in the same position as you, never finishing things and so on. It takes time to get out of that phase and it's not uncommon so don't feel down. Just find things you are inspired by and make it. I know it is easy to say and can be hard to follow but you have to just push yourself. Never give up! If you have any questions about UDK or the grid you should post on polycount or you can pm me, I wouldn't mind helping. Anyways good luck and I'll be watching and making sure you finish this!
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not much of an update, but I've got most of the meshes into UDK. Just need some toilets for the far end and some little things here and there.

aajohnny suggested that I use a mix of vertex painting and decals for the walls and floor. Going to look into that workflow next and start texturing something.

1pSBk7X.jpg
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thought it was time for an update. Still picking away at this slowly after work hours.

So far I've learnt workflows for glass, and vertex painting, that decals are awesome and that the material editor is a scary place.

Most of this stuff is just placeholder while I'm learning the different things I want to put into this scene.

dIbi9RB.jpg
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not a massive update. Barely found any time to work on this. Still want to finish it though.

48NRvax.jpg
  • BasicallyNormal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BasicallyNormal polycounter lvl 7
    Motivation can be a hard thing to come by sometimes, but keep on working on this, I think you'll have some good results in the end. This is looking good so far. It would be cool if the lights near the beds were a little tighter and more saturated, or used the emissive channel to bounce some light off the walls and beds.