Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - Storm Bolter

As this is the first time I'm modelling a FPS weapon, I'd like to get some feedback before I start modeling and sculpting the high poly.

p1ng.jpg

I already had a look at some other weapons here, because I was afraid my model was to sharp-edged and wanted to add some chamfers or supporting edges to the lowpoly, but that should be dealt with the normal map. So, any advice for the UV layout and normal map baking is also appreciated.

I have some issues/worries with the barrel for example, due to the geometry of the muzzle. Made some high poly versions of it in MAX and tested them in Mudbox, but I think it's best not to sculpt any scratches and rather use the xNormal Photoshop plugin.

Looking forward for your feedback!

Replies

• Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Ive modeled on some WH40k stuff before, and I think 40k in general is a bad subject to learn because the form is given by tiny plastic figures and not real life measurements, and edges will feel wrong for 40k if you make them real life like, and vice versa , also the form is very blocky and simple. But if you really want to do it, why not. Looking pretty fine so far, maybe check the mag again in references
  • mkZ3R0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You have a point, and if I wouldn't be working together with a friend on a WH40k project I might consider your advice as it is truly hard to find useful references and make it look real.

I'll check on the mag and will post any changes as soon as I find some time.
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    A good idea would be to test this from a first person perspective at the field of view you plan to use. This will give you a better impression of what it will look like to the viewer, and help you better decide how to adapt the design to look it's best from that view.
  • mkZ3R0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made some updates to the drum magazine and started to tune the parts most visible from a first person perspective.
    Please note that I imported the original Storm Bolter model from Relic Entertainment's Warhammer 40.000 Space Marine for reference purposes only.

cebd.jpg

2e0j.jpg

As the Space Marine Storm Bolter shows some chamfered edges, I'll add some to the most visible 90° angles.

Any more feedback is appreciated.
  • mkZ3R0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chamfered all the edges most visible from a first person perspective and fixed some geometry. Finally created a topology for the muzzle that is almost perfectly smooth when turbosmoothing.

4s3c.jpg

72ca.jpg

I'll be making some test sculpts tomorrow. Maybe I get the sculpting done by tomorrow.

Thanks again for the feedback so far. Please feel free to drop some more.
  • mkZ3R0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a long while since I made an update, but I made some progress in texturing the lowpoly.

ucxc.jpg

Still is going to get even more polishing and retouch as it is still to clean, but I'm not going for that rusty look of the WH40k:Space Marine version. Just some grunge and patina.

Feel free to drop any feedback.
  • mkZ3R0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just have to share this as he looks almost ready now.

bucd.jpg
  • mkZ3R0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t0to.jpg

Locked and loaded. Hope you like it.
  • chudork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chudork polycounter lvl 8
    great job on the storm bolter, may need a bit more dirt or metal scratches to give that used/older feel:D
  • stahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    holy crap, that bolter looks amazing and also looks kinda realistic.
  • mkZ3R0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks chudork and stahl.

I felt pretty comfortable with the dirt and scratches it already has, but maybe I'll do a super-used veteran version with chipped off paint and a little bit of rust and patina.

Does anybody know exactly how they do glowing muzzles in video games? Is it just an emmissive map shader which gets displayed by code? And how can I do that within the Unity Engine as the emmissive map is within the normal map alpha influencing the diffuse maps colors.
  • stahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    in dow 2 they used some kind of overlay over the usually modelled barrel, so its probably that emissive map thing overlaid on the usual model, not sure there though.

considering that astartes weaponry gets taken care of a lot by artificers and the like, the amount of wear is adequate, maybe that chipped paint wouldnt hurt though.

might i ask what projecti this is ? it looks very impressive.
  • mkZ3R0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @stahl

Sorry, I've been busy for quite a while. It's for a private project a firend and I are working on. A Coop-FPS prototype running in Unity3D.

I'm currently working on the NPC and the Environment.