Home Unreal Engine

Weird shading error in UDK

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
I've got this weird error in UDK. I made a really simple crate and I noticed that it didn't get shaded correctly in the engine. And I wanted to figure out why.

This is what it looks like when I imported it into the engine.
wtf.jpg
wtf2.jpg

What you're seeing here is a weird shading error on a simple crate. I expected the faces of the right side of the crate to have the same shade. Alas it was not the case once I took it into UDK.

So I tried a couple of things to fix it but with no luck

- Take away all normal maps, to make sure it wasn't them.
- Set all normal faces to "set to face".
- Unlocking normals, averaging, setting to face again, exporting re-importing.
- Hard/Soft Edges made sure everything was set to hard.
- Re-checking my .fbx export settings (they're fine) and UDK import settings which is also fine. Using the recommended settings for .fbx files with explicit normals etc on so that I can use Custom Normals if I want to.
- Exported object as .obj and then re-imported into new scene, and export as .fbx and into UDK again.
- Tried beveling all the edges, forcing the normals to look properly smoothed using Normal Tools in Maya.

Then I tried this:

1. Me noticing the problem
2. Me trying to solve the problem thinking it might be my lazy way of doing a crate so I did another one that had completely welded vertices made by extruding faces to get the shape.
3. What it looks like in UDK. Top is the same shot as in Maya and bottom shot is how it looks from the other side.

wtf3.jpg
and still nothing, it didn't help at all.

sooooooooooo

any ideas guys? I've been working on a scene in UDK for the last 4 weeks and I never really had a problem with this before now. and I've made buildings that are just big cubes basically.

.FBX for the Crates
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20141186/Random%20pics/crate_Test.fbx

Thanks for having a look at it!
/Chris

Replies